Using the automatic transmission.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob Pearson, May 10, 2020.

1. Bob Pearson

Bob Pearson Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    As a newcomer I've been using the automatic transmission in get real mode, where it's allowed. Just one less thing to concentrate while my car is dancing it's way around the icy corners. I don't have enough time behind the wheel yet, to comfortably manage gear changing and not hitting any obstructions or track limits. So, I was wondering if switching to the paddles will give any actual speed advantage? How good is the auto gearbox, compared to manual shifting.

Before anyone jumps on me for not being fully realistic, i realise that it's a skill that will come with work and practise, in the meantime I will use whatever aids help me get better.

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Manual will always be faster because automatic doesn't short shift out of corners and doesn't shifts fast enough to the next gear.

But you can still manual shift on automatic, for learning and maybe down shifting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Automatic is a great way to start, as you say it's one less thing to think about when you're starting out, and that's what the aids are for. (And, not that it matters, out of all the aids, the auto gearbox is at least a realistic one after all).

But yes, whenever you feel you're ready to, you will definitely go faster with manual gears. The automatic gearbox is designed to change up within a safe range, and also changes down at a set point as you slow down and your revs decrease, so you'll sometimes find yourself taking a turn in a less than ideal gear. But the manual gearbox allows you to decide, and believe me it makes a big difference.

It's a bit of a wake up when you move over to manual, it'll take a little while to get used to, but don't let that put you off when you decide to make the switch, it is 100% worth it, and apart from the performance benefit it does add more to the driving feel.

In the meantime though, I'd say enjoy using auto & whatever other aids as long as you want to.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, how much faster can you go in manual over auto? Can it be proven? How much? Like someone to show us. I prefer auto because I'm right handed handicapped. It very hard to use manual. I guess I could try left handed if I ordered a "H" pattern (I live in the states). Paddles up and down fast are out for me. Right fingers are partially paralyzed. How much faster?

NASH

5. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That's really difficult to answer.
    What about a left paddle that you can both pull and push with your fingers? Off the top of my head, I think I read that the Thrustmaster F1 wheel works like a boat 'paddle', so pulling up on the right pushes the left one down, if you see what I mean. So it might well be very controllable with just left hand. I'm sure someone here could confirm.

Regarding lap times, it is very difficult to say without running back to back tests, and the difference would vary depending on the shape and flow of the circuit. Maybe it's worth a tenth or more on every turn?

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  6. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    You can also try a sequential shifter as the one produced by Heusinkveld. I use it instead of paddles, first because my Accuforce paddles springs broke but also because I find it most comfortable to use.

There is a difference in time when you upshift (downshift is maybe less important) and even if it's a 0.1s by shift, imagine how many seconds you loose on the Nordschleife! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes I forgot the sequential option even though I use one myself, it's a good alternative and used across lots of GT & formula type cars. I have a TH8A that I'm very happy with, it's convertible between H pattern & sequential, I have mine set in sequential usually.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot depends on the car and the track. With manual upshifting you can cut out some wheelspin and on downshift you can choose when to unbalance the car. Stuff like the M3 DTM are really sensitive to downshifts on turn in, whereas other cars don´t mind so much. It´s also important how many gears the car has and whether you can adjust the ratios. A 4 speed fixed ratio box won´t benefit so much as there will be less gear changes. The track you run on is also important.

Maybe choose a track like Monza or Salzburgring to start with as those ones don´t require so many changes as the shorter slower tracks do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Maybe check SouthPawRacer on youtube, he has only one fully functional arm. Afaik he is using a paddle and a button for shifting.

Last edited: May 11, 2020