Problem VIDEO IS ON GENERAL AND WON'T LET ME CHANGE.

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by sunman333, Dec 23, 2016.

1. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I go into settings and my video is on general I try to click high or anything else and the apply button Is not select-able. I click on custom and change on number and the apply button lights up but doesn't save anything. I have a gtx 670. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game but did not work. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think I remember there's something tricky there. I need to go into the game to check it. I hope someone else is able to help you meanwhile.

3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, you could try going into: My documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/User Data... and then delete the "graphics options.xml" file. Then start the game from Steam. It will make a new file for you, and then when you get to the main menu, just configure all your graphics options again.

If that doesnt work, maybe try verifying the integrity of the game cache in Steam. Right click on the games name, select properties, select the 'local files' tab, then choose to verify the game cache. Perhaps a file is corrupt.

4. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried deleting all files from all installation folders. Did not work. I also verified cache and that did not work either. Thanks for trying though.

5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried, to start the Game and/or Steam with Admin-Rights? Maybe there is a problem with your permissions...

6. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    "General" is the name of the menu section where you set your window resolution, aspect ratio, field of view and enable/disable v-sync. It is not a graphical settings preset.

The graphical presets are Low, Medium and High. There is also the"Custom" section which allows you to manually configure each graphical setting. Which one of these are chosen should be displayed on the button itself with the currently selected setting having a "filled in" circle.

When switching between presets/Custom, clicking Apply is not required

7. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried running as admin that does allow me to change anything. Thanks though. I understand all settings and how to choose them but the red dot in the circle is on general if I choose med ect the red dot moves to what I choose but the apply doesn't light up to save the change so if I go back out after selecting and come back it goes back to general. There seems not to be any way to change and have it save. Thanks all for trying.

8. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Can you give us a screenshot of what you are seeing?

9. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how do I screenshot

10. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The first one shows you what it is set on. (general). The second one shows you how I press high settings and the apply button does not light up to save.

Attached Files:

11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    From what I can tell, this is actually how it properly works :p

The "apply" button only lights up when you select "Custom" from the left side and make changes to the graphics settings on the right side.

If you want to use the "High" preset, all you need to do is select it on the left, like in your second picture. Then, simply click the back button in the bottom left, and it will have saved properly.

12. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes if you read my earlier posts I had mentioned if I go to custom and change a number the apply button lights up but when pressed does not save. I used to have it on high not on general. Somehow something changed and I cannot get it back. If I select high as in the pic I sent then go out then back it does not save it goes back to general.

13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This is exactly how it works though. I just checked and verified this again myself.

When you go to the video options from the main menu... the default screen will always be that "General" tab. It will never have that little dot next to "Low", "Medium", or "High". However, if you previously chose one of those presets, it will still be valid and saved. The settings you choose arent 'saved' inside the game's menu's, but to a file that is written to a folder inside 'My Documents'. So, when you make a change inside the game, it is saved there.

So, from what I can tell, there is no issue here. That works 100% correctly.

So, what you are saying is... in the video settings menu, when you click on the big "Custom" button at the bottom of the list, and then make changes on the right side of the screen... The 'Apply' button does not highlight?

To test this, please select the "Medium" preset from the video settings menu. Now, click the Back button until you return to the main menu. Go back into the video settings menu, and you will notice the little red dot is next to the "General" tab. Select the "Custom" tab and notice that it will have the medium preset loaded since it properly saved it. Now, change one of the options, such as Car Reflections. You should now notice that the Apply button at the bottom highlights, allowing you to save.

Please try this exactly as described above. I just tested this again, and verified it properly works too.

If this does not work for you, could you please attach a few files so I can pass them along to a developer when they return from holiday?

To do this... in the comment box when you are making a reply, there is a blue "Upload a File" button. Click on that. A window will pop up. Now, navigate to: My Documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/User Data and select the "graphics_options.xml" file and upload that. And could you also navigate to: My Documents/My Games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/User Data/Log and select the "Game_(today's date)" file.

Cheers

14. sunman333

sunman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So if i'm correct your saying it will always be on general setting. I select medium then go to custom and it is medium. I go to main menu and back go to custom and it says medium. I thought it was supposed to stay on medium. That is strange but I guess it is working correctly. Thank you very much that helps alot.

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this is correct as you described it. I cant recall if it has always been this way since the game released... but this is how it works now.

I suppose it is a bit odd that it doesnt have your selection ticked with the little red dot, but the game does save the changes you make :)

16. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hehe - to be honest... I've never paid much attention to the Graphics-Settings. But now as I watched the Screenshots it is indeed a bit irritating with that red dot in front of the "General Settings".

That General-Settings are just graphic-options that are above all other Settings. And thats just the Starting-Screen of that Settings-Menu and so the reason why it will always go back to that menu.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hm, I did not remember that the "Selection dot" moved to the general button. That's annoying.
    This menu could perhaps do with a bit of a redesign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Solved my issue after I added two monitors, thanks :)