View Stuck under floor in Cockpit View [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blanes, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    In all my cars the cockpit view is stuck under the car. If I use the move seat up button it will only go so far and is still stuck so low in cockpit I cannot see. No other car has the problem and it began after I switched from VR to Flatscreen and back again. First it was only one car and now it is all cars.

I deleted the Formula RaceRoom 3.uvm file from the directory "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\CarSetups" but it didn't fix it. I then deleted my whole save Simbin directory and still no fix. Is there a hidden directory that has some savedata somewhere?

Someone please help I cannot drive the car at all from cockpit view.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi Blanes, have you edited the camera files by any chance? Maybe they got corrupted somehow...

You could try deleting the cam files (...\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars\raceroom_fr3\Cameras) and then doing a cache verification in Steam. This will re-aquire those files and maybe that already fixes the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks Christian I already did that, no luck. It is driving me crazy as I have done everything I can think of. All files validate and I deleted everything I know that is saved by RRRE ie. the Simbin directory. Is there any other places things are saved ?

I have recalibrated my seated position in Oculus and in SteamVR as well. At first it was just one car the Formula 3 but now it is all the cars. Only thing I did different yesteday was turn on the mirror screen to monitor then I turned it off again. It was a parameter added to the startup line but I cannot find it again now. But I turned that back off.

It is so bizarre as I had not played for a long time and then had lots of problems getting my FFB working - it sort of is now but not as good as it once was but ok. Now my cockpit view stuck on or actually just under the road. I can move it up to about the top of my seat but of course that leaves you staring at your feet in the cockpit. So now I cannot drive cockpit view at all. Surely there must be something I can reset or delete that sets everything back to like the game was just installed ?

4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, strange issue indeed, haven't heard of that one until now. AfaIk there's no other directories used by RR than the ones you mentioned... But it sounds to me like it might be related to VR or switching between VR and screen somehow and because I've no experience with that, all I can do for now is ask around if one of the devs or testers has an idea, which I did.
    Maybe sb else can help.

5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Something is really strange, originally I at least had the Formula X17 car with a proper cockpit view and then when I discovered the Formula 3 view on the floor I went and recalibrated the settings in Oculus and SteamVR to set the correct seated position. Now I find the Formula X17 car view is also set onto the ground ! I cannot for the life of me figure this out and spent about 12 hours since lunchtime today trying everything only to make it worse it seems.

I really hope one of the devs or somebody has some clue because I am totally out of ideas now. :(

6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, baffling... Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know. :)
    Which gpu driver version are you using?

And have you already tried using the reset VR position button? It's a function you can bind to a key in the controller options. If the view is still messed up after hitting that at least we'd know it's sth in the game itself...

7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    No I checked that early on and have double checked the mapping of reset VR it does not recentre the driving position.

Just now I totally deleted the Simbin directory again, verified integrity of RR files again and even deleted all SteamVR and other Steam stuff forcing a redownload of those Steam files and so had to do the VR setups again.

Then when I loaded RaceRoom I had to again make a new controller setup and set FFB and graphics etc. again ....

But ... strange thing ... when I went to do a race and selected my car and track I saw that all those parameters were exactly as I had set them before I deleted the Simbin directory. That is the Adaptive AI, number of AI and the length of practice session, qualifying, race etc. Now those settings should have gone back to default and not stayed at the ones I set prior to deleting Simbin directory. Soooo .... that means there is some RaceRoom data settings saved somewhere else that I have not found and I bet that includes the default cockpit view because I deleted everything else and it should be back to default. WTF !!! :eek:

I have gone thru all the usual suspects on my Win install drive C: that is hidden directories such as ProgramData and AppData etc. and could not find any other Sector3 or Simbin directories ... so where in blue blazes are those files hidden ??? They have to be somewhere for the game to remember all those race parameters I had set prior to deleting all my savegame stuff ! Or am I going totally Fecking Crazy ? I feel broken :confused:

Nvidia driver is the latest available on my 1080

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Remember that the menus in RR are basically a web portal, so If I'm not completely wrong here those race setup menu options are stored in your user profile and hence remain the same even if you delete the documents folder.

9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I saw there are web portal files in the Simbin directory but I didnt know they stored things like race parameters individually selected online ... could that mean that somehow those cockpit camera settings are also online and just constantly getting redownloaded and preventing me from setting them to default ? Because it does not matter whether I am in VR or on my flatscreen the cockpit view is stuck on the road until I can move it only up as far as the seat then it hits the limit and goes no further.

I really cannot afford to totally wipe my pc and reinstall Win10 and everything else to try get these cockpits back to normal view but I feel like that is the only thing left ... and then if it doesn't solve the problem I have wasted alot of time I don't have to spare.

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I think it's only portal stuff that's being saved in your online profile, so I'm pretty sure any graphics setting or stuff like controller profiles are only stored locally.

It's a long shot (cause I can't really imagine that the driver could cause the cam view to get messed up like that) but if you're using the very latest nvidia drivers you could maybe try downgrading to an earlier version. Recently there were some (VR) issues which turned out to be linked to the last nvidia update.
    Definitely wouldn't recommend wiping the PC, I can't see how that could fix this issue..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I will certainly try that as it is a chance at least. Who at Sector3 would have the definitive knowledge about these sorts of strange problems ? Is it possible to get that persons input and expertise because honestly I have spent so long and exhausted everything I can think of. I appreciate your help in any case.

I just see I am Nividia Driver 398.11 and there is a 398.36 , do you know which one was giving problems ? I could try the newest else go back to before 398.11 what do you think ?

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    398.11 was the one causing problems, which have been resolved, but who knows...
    So I'd either try 398.36 or the one before .11

I'm in contact with the devs and all active testers and it seems nobody has had this issue so far. But they're all aware of the issue now and if sb has an idea they'll contact you here (or I'll forward their responses).
    Hang in there, there has to be a reason for this, probably a very specific reason and we only have to identify that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Edited whole message :- I installed the newest Nvidia driver 398.36 right over the top of the older driver and it fixed the cockpit view right away. I tested Formula X17 and Formula 3 which both had the cockpit view set on the road under the car. They both worked perfectly.

So I was very excited to find this worked but then I edited the cam files and back to square one. But maybe this gives a clue that something is being saved in the Nvidia settings perhaps.

After another couple of fruitless hours I still cannot solve this problem, sorry to say.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Damn ! I spoke too soon ... went and re-edited all the camera files for VR and Bam! back under the floor of the car :(
    So it still makes no sense, how can changing two zeroes to one's in a cam file cause that ?

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>
    changed to -
    <orientationSpeed type="Vector">{1.00000000 0.00000000 1.00000000}</orientationSpeed

for every car in the file :-
    cockpit_driver_view.xml

Only way to drive in VR is with that edit otherwise I ( and many others ) get a very bad motion sickness.

So I just changed all the one's back to the original value of zero and still stuck under the car. I will try reinstall the driver again because it was only fixed after I did that. Maybe there is a clue to what is going on in all this for someone with brains to figure it out ?

UPDATE : I just tried re-installing the driver again but it didn't do anything this time and view is still stuck under car on road or in road. Why did it fix it after installed driver and then bugger it up when I edited the camera files ? But reversing all that now does not fix. Have to give up for now, sake of sanity and my family !

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear that, but at least we know now that it's got sth to do with the cam file edits.
    So first of all I'd suggest deleting this folder entirely: \Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars and then verifying the files, so you get a fresh set of cam files. Then run the game and see if it works.

How exactly did you apply those changes, did you use a certain program like notepad+ or did you use those command strings sb posted in that VR lock-2-horizon thread?

16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    I had already done what you suggested multiple times and am pretty experienced editing files though I did verify and force a fresh set of cam files download several times. It does not matter which editor is used in this case, notepad or notepad+ the result is same and I never have used the command string you referenced.

I don't know whether you can say it is the result of editing the cam files now because I refreshed the files back to original several times and also totally uninstalled the nvidia drivers with DDU before reinstalling them fresh with again same result, cockpit view stuck under car.

It must have some correlation with the nvidia driver somehow or other and it did definitely work properly at least for the Formula X17 and F3 right after the time I first updated to newest driver. So I will try replicate that again.

17. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a button assigned for driving view ? Try cycling each view and hit re center to make sure you are in cockpit view , just thought

18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks Andy I appreciate the input and I rechecked things like that early on, no luck.

It is a real head scratcher, I got a short burst of hope when the cockpit view fixed after updating the Nvidia driver last nite but after I modded the cockpit cam views for vr again it went back to 'floor view' and I have not been able to replicate the fix again so far.

Everything is back to default as if it was a fresh install including total uninstall & reinstall of gpu driver, yet the problem persists which lends weight to the nvidia driver being somehow implicated in the problem.

All and every suggestion keenly welcome at this stage as I am literally in the fast lane to insanity !!! :dizzy:

19. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    So all game camera files are default and not modded at present correct ? After that did you try fresh simbin folder in my documents/my games location ? Make sure game is not running when doing any of the above

20. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Yes and Yes. All repeated and checked multiple times.