Problem Volume levels after Creators update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Case, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if this is a sound card issue, Creators update issue or an issue with the game, but since I've updated Windows to Creators update, the sound in-game is now deafening if I set it to anything other than stereo. It works just like before if the game is set to stereo and the menu sounds volume is fine with any setting, but as soon as I switch it to 5.1 or 7.1 (Dolby Headphone enabled in sound card panel), I have to set the master volume in game settings to something like 10-15 percent to get the in-game volume back to where it was before the CU. But then of course the menu sounds and music get very quiet. Other than that, though, the in-game audio mix sounds fine - it's not that some sounds are louder than others, it's just as if as soon as you load the track and car, the game just starts blaring at max volume.

This is with my Xonar DX. I've tried resetting the sound card settings, deleting the game settings and starting from scratch, I've tried several older drivers for the card including completely cleaning the system and registry and reinstalling them, didn't help.

If I try to run the game with my other soundcard (Xfi Titanium HD - yes, I have two soundcards in my system, have been using it like this for years without issues), the in-game volume is fine which would probably point to this being an issue with the Xonar. But the Xonar seems to work just fine outside of R3E - though it's possible (I'm not sure) that in Dirt Rally, the only other game I could compare, the audio mix might've changed slightly as well as it sounds to me like the engine sound is a bit louder than it was - but only very slightly, like 10 percent louder, so this might also be a placebo effect on my part. And 7.1 movies sound just fine on the Xonar.

Any ideas? I can obviously work around this by lowering the in-game master volume, but it's kinda annoying due to almost no menu sounds this causes. Thanks.