VR and non-VR grafic settings - what every developer should please do...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pierredietze, May 17, 2019.

1. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Hi all there.
    I am playing RRRE and AC very much, both in VR and without. I might be wrong, but i think nobody drives exclusively in VR and is using his monitor or tripple in parallel.
    My problem is, the grafic settings i use with my monitor are to heavy for my PC when driving in VR. That means, everytime i start a VR session, i have to adjust my grafic options for that. And when i am driving with my monitor the image quality is bad and i have to adjust the settings again. That sucks.

It would be a big step forward if you had different graphic profiles that you could change with one click. Similar to the control profiles where you can switch between different profiles.
    You could have a standard profile for best quality when playing on the monitor, and a profile with good performance when playing in VR, without having to adjust everything individually everytime.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I actually think it may be the opposite. I mean, the two experiences are very different and I for one find it near impossible to drive properly on flat screen monitor since making the jump to VR. So I literally never play R3E or any other sim without VR now.

That said, couldn't you just make a graphics options file for each mode? Then you could drop the file you need into the folder depending which mode you want to play in. Bit more than one click involved, but far quicker and easier than messing with the individual settings in-game.

My Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I have the same issue. Dont want to play endurance races with vr, bc its not that
    comfortable on the long run.
    Would love to choose before starting the game. Like we could choose now 32/64.

@Goffik thx for that little workaround. Never thougt of that, will try it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    All my R3E driving is done in VR, but I'll jump into 2D if I want to watch a replay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Oh boy, you are so damn wrong. Except on my XBox, I will not buy racegames without VR support anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yup I have never driven a lap in 2D after I got my Rift 2 years ago, even done some 24h races in VR :D With the right setup it is just as comfortable as anything.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I love VR.. Only my eyes getting older and won't let me enjoy long VR Sessions. Then my triple setup comes in handy.
    I really need to test this VR-2D automation script.

9. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I only race in VR, but after the race i'm watching the replay and doing some screenshots. And to have nice screenshots, i ramp up the graphics settings. But max settings wouldn't give a drivable framerate in VR. So i have to change these settings manually.
    It would be great, if VR and monitor settings would be saved/loaded separately. R3E should automatically know (by selected launch parameter) if i use VR or monitor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It'd be convenient I suppose, but I can't think of any other combined monitor/VR game I own that offers this feature either.

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Project Cars.. If I load it without VR I get my 2D settings and when I start Project Cars in VR mode I get my VR settings.

• Informative Informative x 1