VR Broken Now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mrjennesjr, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Mrjennesjr

Mrjennesjr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried R3E for a while and thought it was ok. However, I got my Vive and started testing different cars. I was generally impressed. So I bought the Premium Pack. The VR worked perfectly. That is. Until a couple days ago. I had just gotten my rig set back up and decided to drive the X17 at Spa. Once I started, problems started. It seems like all the textures on the car are warping. From the tires to the mirrors and intakes, they all were flashing and warping. Then, at the sides of the screen, the view went fish-eyed. Anyone else having this issue because it’s actually making me ill and I want to play this game more. PC2 and AC work fine so it shouldn’t be a hardware issue.

2. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    No all fine here , :D

3. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Works well for me as well, but I'm on a Rift. Did you update your GPU drivers? A roll back of those might fix your problem if so.

4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    For me steamVR went bonkers in Nov - and I uninstalled steamVR found a older version and literally copy it on top of the new steamVR since.

I am on a Vive Pro with a 2080ti.. The latest steamVR automatically puts you in reprojection and gives no straight forward way to turn it off.. then it uses some multisampling horse crap that it decides on the fly relative to GPU usage.. So if I turn all their crap off I get stuttering no matter what the super sampling is set at. If I let their crap take control I get objects that move in scene (cars for example) that appear blurry or doubled. Using steamVR from October I can run almost everything on high (but shadows and of course reflections), at SuperSampling 2.3. Current version there is no way for me to get smooth 90fps play.. I also believe that a lot of people think they are getting 90fps in the rift but in fact are not due to the horse crap that is steamvr now. Did I say horse crap enough? It's truly awful and if you look at the forums for steamVR you will see loads of folks doing what I am doing now and reverting back.. SteamVR is so crap there isn't even a way to turn off auto-update.. It's a pile of horse crap ..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  5. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    SteamVR is certainly a 2 steps forward one step backwards even at the best of times. As an Oculus user it's not uncommon to have to go and disable whatever features they've added so you're not running performance heavy features on top of each other.

90 fps isn't that hard to achieve though I find, though I'm comfortable with dropping lower and leaning on ASW during the start of the race.

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Did you note there is nothing in the options now to turn asw off now?! Add to that it’s doing auto crap under the hood and in my opinion it’s a one step back and fall flat on face..

It’s a mess and the developers refuse to give the user options and assuming everyone has slow equipment. If there was another option I’d be running it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't noticed they went and removed those options, good catch. Google tells me later versions of SteamVR are supposed to autodetect if the HMD is an Oculus and disable ASR in favor of Oculus ASW (which is far as I know still the better tech), but that they're not doing a great job at it.

OpenComposite is a great alternative but I've not gotten around to trying it with Raceroom myself, but @The Iron Wolf has been tinkering with a Raceroom version of the dll, found here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ce-boost-for-oculus-owners.11535/#post-162806

8. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    OpenOVR is a good decision for Rift Raceroomers. I really like it.

But: I think, you cannot use it without an oculus.

• Informative Informative x 1