VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This . I find myself in the same situation , i don't think it's the new shadows , because I m always runnin with them off , very happy when I read about all the great things in the the update , but now i'm always running in asw (rift s gtx 2060 ryzen 2600x) . Nonetheless I'm glad that the developers are keeping this awesome sim up to date with improvements and content , dtm 92 with new physics are spot on .

2. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    VR performance is a real issue now, I run at almost the lowest settings, but it stutters regularly now. It ran smooth before the update for months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think i found a solution ( or rather i was at fault ) since i deleted my simbin folder , i had to reset everything , i forgot to put in my video settings (general tab ) "windowed" instead of borderless or fullscreen ... With windowed i am back at my usual performance in vr , yes ! Sorry for for my poor english and for the useless complain ... My bad :)

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Tried that but was unfortunately the same for me :-\

5. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My graphics settings are the same as before, I've only deleted the controller profiles as suggested by Sector3. I did not even do Windows or Driver updates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BillyBobBongo

BillyBobBongo Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I've given up chasing 90 FPS, no matter what I do I can't get it to go above 45.

I'm running on a Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT and with a Vive Pro. I have a spreadsheet with my settings in and I've tried all the tricks in the book. Only way I've seen 90 FPS is to drop SS to 20% and run with everything on low, but that's obviously not an acceptable solution.

To be fair, I can get it looking pretty good at 45 FPS and I'm fortunate in that I don't suffer from motion sickness. But still...Sector3 really need to look in to upgrading from DirectX 9 and look in to optimising VR performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If you're stuck at 45 it means you have asw enabled, just disable it.

8. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've disabled all shadows including car and contact shadows. Otherwise I have serious stutters.
    Don't know if they have the resources to upgrade the engine to the latest version of dx, and if that would directly solve the problems.

9. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I was wonder as well after the latest update. Stuttering and kind of double images from time to time even with 90 fps. I lowered everything now. I have Valve Index SS 1.4 right now, in SteamVR 100%

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  10. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You're right , I can't figure out why but it was a one-session only improvement ... A coincidence maybe ? I really can't figure it out .... Tried a lot of settings in game and in steam vr (ss general , ss per application , etc. ) .... I was fine at mostly low settings before the big update . We re talking about a 40 percent decrease on performance now ... Anybody think the opencomposite method is worth a shot a this point ? Tried once but didnt worked for me , maybe i'll try again . Too bad because I really , really like the new ffb/physics/damage update :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    @giulio0079 in the other thread I get an answer about that:
    Is it possible that you drive with time progression enabled? Set it to zero and the problem is gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm running open composite with no progression. So doesn't matter for me.

( edit, maybe I was not correct about the progression, I've tried it last night and set it to max, maybe it was on 1 before. Dont know what the default is. Turned it off (0) now and it seems to make some difference. )

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much , i'll surely try tonight , I saw the other thread last night , fingers crossed
    Edit :spelling

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  14. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if this is the right thread. I massive performance issues with the Nordschleife when driving around the GP track. The frame rate drops from 90 to 40 fps. Even in the pit lane it is already like this. When leaving the GP track it is getting better. The GPU is at around 35-40% and CPU is at 70%. I guess there is no fix right? It is what it is

15. SadisticPickle

SadisticPickle New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm a bit gutted here. Had to replace a video card so I put on a fresh install of Windows with the new video card, set up Oculus Rift app from beginning to end. Popped in the Open Composite files in the x64 folder - and get nothing but a black screen when it starts up.

Double checked the .ini and copied and pasted directly, still the same thing. The log doesn't show any errors, any advice? Or should I just hope Steam VR finally is in a good place?

Update: While the game is visible - it now crashes to desktop after a significant load is placed on the system, no errors or log entries show any issues. When I revert back to SteamVR, the game plays and doesn't crash - I guess SteamVR will have to do. Thanks for the help anyways guys, I'll make do with this I guess.

Follow up question: Can I still use the Oculus Debug options mentioned in the OP? Or do I need to make those conversions in the SteamVR settings?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  16. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Could you please check if time progression is enabled? If yes, this would be the problem as discussed in the last few posts. If not, I have no idea.
    If you have enabled the Time progression: set it to zero and check again if the issue is gone (it will)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    The black screen is in your Oculus, right? Could be, that the screen is just behind or below you?
    If so:
    Enter Raceroom without VR, bind a key for recenter VR. Then start new with VR, wait a bit, than press a key to get to the main menu. Unfortunately you can not recenter the screen before in main menu. Then try to recenter the screen.
    I hope, it helps. OpenOVR is no problem here, hope you get it sorted.

18. SadisticPickle

SadisticPickle New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That was a great tip... thanks for that! I thought it didn't work at first, and then I remapped a different button - then it worked. Thanks again Formel!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  19. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok , I 've foud a little time to check the "time progression" fix , and it worked indeed :) still trying to tune up things a little , but that multiplier is really performance heavy ... With 0x time progression (and my usual "prior update"settings) I think I can safely say I'm running at the same fps as before . Now to fine tuning things a little when time allows ... Many , many thanks to @FormelLMS for the tip !

20. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This took me forever to solve -

I also have an index. So I not launch RR with the VR option (at launch). Instead I launch the the game with the -vr tag in steam (like we use to do ages back). I never start steamvr before launching the game.

When I do this it runs steamVR in legacy mode. I can run at 175% SS and AAx2 without that terrible ghosting/double imaging.

Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 2