VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
  2. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
  3. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to know if the amazing VR support is how it works, I have asked elsewhere the question was closed pfff ..

I managed to buy a full pack I already regretted!

I start VR, CPU frametime 20+ ms !!!!! full low setup !!!!! Intel 9900K@5.2 Ghz !!!!!!!!! Congratulations!
    GPU use 20-40% .... CPU 15-20% ... FPS 35: D: D: D
    All other sims run flawlessly !!!!!! iRacing, ACC, AC, Dirt, AM2

What is the solution in this miracle that is sold as VR support !!!!! I can't find support for the game anywhere, a joke.
    I'm in Sweden now call Sector3 where is the support that helps? No refund, ridiculous! Considering a report ...

4. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Calm it down, and read the first post. ..Then read it again.

It's an older engine, but if you're sensible with the settings, there's no reason you can't get some solid performance out of it.

Assuming you're already being sensible with SS and MS, shadows and amount of visible AI are the next two biggest framerate killers you'll want to keep in check. (Lowest shadows, and 18 visible cars for me to maintain a solid 90fps on the CV1..)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely low setting! 20+ CPU frametime ... 30FPS !!!!! I don't know what to take back in this miracle there is no longer an option! 30FPS !!! 9900K@5.2Ghz: D CPU frame time 20+ pfff
    Automobilista2 high graf, 200% SS Steam VR, motionless 90 FPS !!!!
    RR full low 30FPS congratulation ...

6. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My problem...

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Seems to be a problem on your side.
    Raceroom is here with 80 FPS all the time on my Rift S.
    I only have 5 GHz.

The only thing I did was reading the first post, copied the whole settings to my game and it runs very fine.

8. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand the error, it runs properly iRacing.ACC, AC, DirtRally, DirtRally2, Automobilista2, but I have the error ..
    It would be pretty interesting if I followed the first post, but if you tell me that HP ReverB goes without steamVR then I'll do it: D
    This software is a shameful shit ...

9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh, No Problem. Had a reverb myself. With this I got 90 fps instead of 80 fps with the in-game settings above.

How is your Supersampling setting in steamVR for Raceroom? On oculus I have it at 150 percent, with reverb it was at 100 percent.

And: first post doesn't end after the open composite thing.
    Which is your shadow and reflection setting and how many cars are visible.
    Could you please post screenshot of your in-game settings, so I will check.

10. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    100% 100%
    shadow minimum , AA off
    In the video there is everything, I didn't accidentally did it, the problem is the CPU frametime, 20ms + 9900k 5.2Ghz: D I tried HT off no effect (

11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, it's very unseeable any setting in your video. It's such a small window there on a filmed monitor. It's easier to screen record with e.g. Nvidia experience or make some screenshots with snipping tool or something like that.

I see your problem but for now I have no idea, why it's so bad on your computer.

The small screen is because of your video to show everything or do you drive like that?
    I have 1920 x 1080 p fullscreen. Not that this is the problem there.

12. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll take pictures then, I'm not home now.
    I don’t know a desktop because I can record it, so I did it that way because everything looks together.

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, was indeed a good idea. But it’s very hard to see.

14. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just looked again, I see all the data. Even hwinfo, did you watch it in full resolution? : D

15. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had time yet, but the performance is tragic.
    GPU 20-40% usage
    CPU one core 20-30% usage this is joke
    Funny that it doesn't heat up anything so unloaded, it's not performance here is the problem, but simply this program is a bullshit!
    Now this VR support is issued like this: D so ask for money: D
    I also let uninnstall and I never buy sector3 software ...

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes i think it's maybe some kind of bug? A year or two ago my performance was always good, even with my old system (Ryzen 1600X, 16 GB, GTX 1070, Oculus Rift CV1). Then the patch with the Group C cars and the 964 Carrera Cup came and it was suddenly absolutely unplayable. I tried lot, bought a new GPU (RTX 2080), a new VR headset (Rift S) and reinstalled windows, but nothing helped.

A few months later (summer 2019 i think) i tried it again without changing anything on my system and everything ran butter smooth, even at 80 fps with 20 AI cars in the tracks. Then the december 2019 patch came (with time progression etc.) and it suddenly was unplayable again, couldn't even reach 40 fps with ASW with 20 cars on the track which made online racing impossible for me. Framerate isn't just low, frametimes feel very inconsistent too.

This didn't change so far, so i still hope for some magic patch or something (DX11 maybe?) to fix these issue. I'm now using a completely new PC (except for the GPU and one HDD which doesn't contain windows or the game). I really love RaceRoom and all it's content, but on my current system (3600X, 32 GB, RTX 2080, Rift S) it runs a lot worse than on my old system (1600X, 16 GB, GTX 1070, Rift CV1).

Even ACC runs a lot better in VR

17. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    @Neawoulf Sometimes SteamVR and NVIDIA updates also have an impact on performance in my experience. And unfortunately time progression is very resource-heavy in VR. (It's still tolerable with motion smoothing enabled, but I get mostly 45 FPS in racing conditions). It's better to turn that off for now.

18. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    That was one of the first things i've tried. Disabling time progression, disabling webhud, reducing graphical details to a level way below what was usable on my old 1600x/1070 system, reinstalling windows and drivers ... it's frustrating, but since i barely race at all right now (in other sims as well) i'll just wait to see what future patches bring.

19. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Make sure shadows are on lowest as well. IIRC at the same time as the big time progression patch shadow map resolution was also bumped up which has a further impact on perfance. 'Lowest' is roughly equivalent to what 'Low' used to be.

Jesus. Something's definitely wrong. :eek:

20. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yep, already have that on lowest setting (don't want to disable shadows completely), also reduced car lods, mirrors, track lods and a lot of other stuff except textures and anti aliasing on 4x msaa (don't want to reduce that either and it worked before on my 1070).

But i didn't test it since the most recent patch. Maybe something changed.

Yep!