VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Just a few things to try and help —

I run with a index and a 2080ti - because I have to use steamVR - I highly suggest turning on legacy mode (which can be found in steamvr once the app is started or if you dig a bit more). It’s literally the only way I don’t get stutters or ghosting in raceroom.

all the newer smoothing and reprojection stuff is terrible for this older directX engine.

You will notice all the menus display at ~15fps and stutter as you move your head. Sector 3 is aware of this as they put a refresh limit on those menus. But it’s my experience this is the first key to legacy actually working.

The new time of day accelerator kills VR.

I only play in VR and I’m a person who needs high fps as micro second feedbacks are important to fast/consistent lap times in my opinion. I’ve put my index at 80hz to help as 90fps while at the back of the pack would cause stutters.

There are a few tracks that basically I have to avoid - Sonoma along the straights stutters no matter what I do. One of the Chinese tracks is the same (I don’t know the name because i don't ever drive it due this).

obviously shadows low/lowest is mandatory as is reflections being low.

I’m much lower in my SS than I use to be to keep stutters away - I’m at ~140% and have AAx4. Contact shadows reduced to ~6.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What is a 'legacy mode' and how to turn it on, please?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Just went through the SteamVR menus and can't find the legacy mode option either. I remember i saw it in the old UI, but i've never tried it.

4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    There is more than 1 way to access it - and I cannot access my computer or I would be more specific -

BUT once the game is running - go into steamVR - click on the video tab on the left - then towards the bottom there is some sort of option box - if you open this you can access legacy mode.

For more than 9 months I would revert steamVR back to a much older version. The latest one forcing reprojection without jumping through hoops (opening up a second monitor screen and hitting a hot key to actually turn it off).

SteamVR is junk sadly.. They want it to work on the lowest of systems and frame rate isn't important to them - so they've catered to this.

Found this link online
    https://content.invisioncic.com/n28..._fix.png.752354f8e302d96d16e1f6d5596bcbe0.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Found it, thanks! Looks like it only works in the per application settings, not in the general SteamVR settings. Won't be able to test today whether it improves the performance or not, but i hope i can do that tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Botond Molnar

Botond Molnar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ACC run 2x faster :D :D RR full low! 85% SS !!!!!! LOL 50 fps :D :D this is joke...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is not made for VR, it's a wonder we can use it with VR in DX9.
    Hope they switch to DX11 some day.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    WMR - Ryzen 7 2700x - 5700xt-32G DDR4 3000mhrtzwhatevers

Sheds and trees, sheds and trees. These are killing FPS in VR; even at their lowest settings.
    Cockpits don't help (open wheelers have an easier time) and HUD elements.

CPU overclocked to 4.3GHz and only on the lowest settings, and with Steamvr SS reduce to 60% is the CPU able to mostly process this game's engine.

I'm no coder or Dev, but are they not able to change the assets (trees and sheds) to something simplier?
    When I'm driving, it's enough surely to have something kinda tree-like, without much detail, in the background?

The trees in AMS2 seem to be a lot softer and with fewer details then here, and that seems to work fine, and yes I ackowledge that they're different games and different engines but can it be that hard to use less 'detailed' background assets?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  9. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    To make it short: It worked! It really was that stupid SteamVR software! I went to the per application settings, enabled that legacy mode/disabled reprojection and i'm back to my original 80 fps with the Rift S. Big thanks, i can finally play RaceRoom again!

Did some laps on Zhejiang with 20 TCR cars (just some tiny stutter with ASW disabled, but totally playable), some hotlaps on Bilster Berg in the 934 RSR (no stutter at all) and a short race with 30 NSU TTS on Macau (also not a single stutter!).

And i always thought it was that december update for RaceRoom ... guess it never was the issue. It was SteamVR all the time!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    @Neawoulf could be even better without steamvr. Use open composite instead.
    I never saw a racing sim running that smooth in VR as R3E.

11. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I thought i have tried that, but maybe i didn't for some reason? I remember trying Open Composite in some games, but not sure RaceRoom was one of them.

12. fbiehne

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to say but then you probably haven't tried all the other sims out there in VR. Raceroom has the worst performance of them all tbh (because of DX9 obviously), only ACC comes close regarding bad performance. All the other sims with VR (AC, Iracing, RF2, AMS2, PCars 2) run fine on my system in medium to high settings.

It's a shame and I'd love to run Raceroom more often because of the great content but when I see the bad performance it becomes difficult. I'm using opencomposite btw.

Edit: I see that you also have a really good CPU, that probably helps with the fps.

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I've tried Rfactor2, AC, ACC and iRacing.
    Yes, when I look back correctly, it looks a bit other.

Sorry, for my wrong posting before.

Rfactor was worse
    AC with CM and Sol was good
    Iracing is very good
    R3E is good but only with shadows off (lowest looks awful) and reflections on lowest
    ACC is a shame in VR, this is what I would call a joke. But: Could be that I have to fiddle a bit around and than it looks proper. I hint in this direction would be nice.

Nevertheless: The tipp withOpenComposite is gold :)

Again sorry for my statement above.

And yes: The new processor helped much

14. fbiehne

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    No need to say sorry, I was just buffled that you said Raceroom is the best VR experience.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheGentlemanDriver

TheGentlemanDriver New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So, Index users out there: You got great results by using the "legacy" Motion Smoothing? That's funny, if I activate that feature, everything stutters like I would have only 1-2 fps. Super Sampling (global) is set to 100 %, Super Sampling (RaceRoom) is set to 120 % (equals 120 % in total).

16. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I, for one, am using motion smoothing, but not the legacy mode. It runs ok with the recommended settings, SS set to 130%.

17. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The SteamVR settings option you mentioned is not present here. Further the open composite way per game doesn't work either here. :(
    Tried it with both the 32 n 64bit with or without the"-vr" starting parameter.. SteamVR runs.. :confused: a pity

edit: win10 won't execute the OpenComosite.exe with a warning

18. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    It should be there, but only in the Per-Application Video Settings:

R3ESteamVR.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No need for an opencomposite.exe. It’s only two files copied to the directory. Please re-read the instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rafnix

rafnix New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @ Neawoulf, Great and Thanks Mate:)

@FormelLMS , that's what i've done - an 'openvr_api.dll and an 'opencomposite.ini' and neither 32bit nor 64bit version stops SteamVR from running

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020