VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I did, but I have a shitty cpu so i doubt i would be able to maintain 80 fps even on lowest possible settings... But i will give it a try i think... I agree that asw isn't too bad in this game :)

2. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Maybe implementing OpenXR should be an answer to performance issue in VR?

3. straight_shooter

straight_shooter New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys
    I have a problem with contact shadows in R3E.

I have no shadow under the car when I choose the following settings in R3E:
    - shadows - off
    - car shadows - off
    - contact shadows - 1 to 32
    - MSAA - 2x or higher
    Only when I set MSAA to OFF there is a shadow under the car.

If MSAA - 2x or higher is chosen, I have to set „shadows - lowest or higher“ AND „car shadows – on“. If only “shadows” OR “car shadows” are set, no shadow can be seen under the car.

It doesn't matter what I'm using: VR or single screen, so it's not just a problem with VR.
    But because of the VR performance, I have to set “shadows” AND “car shadows” OFF.

What do I have to set to see “contact shadows” under the car while usingt MSAA?

My rig
    Win10 64bit
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    Radeon RX 5700XT
    Oculus Rift S
    Using open composite und OTT

4. axxis278

axxis278 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    you have to set it to ON, and set CONTACT SHADOW to a low number according to your computer performance (I5 9600K with 2070 Super, I set it to 5, only the closest cars)

5. straight_shooter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well ... that's exactly my problem.
    If I set "car shadows" to ON and "contact shadows" even to 32, I don't see any shadows under the cars.

There are only shadows under the cars when I either set
    "shadows" to at least LOWEST OR MSAA to OFF.

6. Mustafa Ulutaş

Mustafa Ulutaş New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cpu 5900x
    gpu 6800xt
    vr: reverb g2

i even cant get steady 90 fps in lowest settings. gpu frametime is about 0.4, cpu frametime always more than 10 ms. (cpu load isnt more than %70)

if grid is crowded game becomes unplayable. infact the lowest settings seem great in g2, if i can get steady 90fps in lowest settings i'll be ok with it.

so directx 9 isnt vr friendly we know it, but we dont know when developers considering to switch directx 11 or 12?

7. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
  8. Mustafa Ulutaş

Mustafa Ulutaş New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ss is %70 so it's not about ss.

i'll try your settings i hope it works. thx for your reply.

9. straight_shooter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was able to solve the problem myself.
    The problem is the current driver for the graphics card.

I've installed the Adrenalin software 20.4.2 and the game graphic works fine.
    https://www.powercolor.com/download?type=1492658578&id=1565247860

Unfortunally the performance of the game is even worse with the same SS und graphic settings.

10. Schmelge

Schmelge Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I have the EXACT same problems. Regardless of settings I get stutter, frame drops from 90 down to 30 and back. The menu just before a race makes the fps go up and down like a rollercoaster.

I have the same specs as you, 5900x and a 6800xt, except I have a index. Thing is I got my gpu yesterday, before that I had a 980ti in the same rig and I had zero issues, I was able to run it smoothly. Using the same settings in the game except with a 6800xt instead of the 980ti is completely unplayable.

I did a clean install of windows when I switched gpu so theres no "old driver issues".

In Dirt Rally 2.0 with this rig and the previous gpu, the 980ti I was able to keep a steady fps with everything set to lowest and OFF on the features that allowed it with 100ss.

Now with the 6800 xt, im running Ultra with 150 ss, zero issues, stable 90. It's so damn frustrating because I built this rig purely for VR in raceroom to be able to up the settings as much as possible with current gen tech. I was thinking it was time to upgrade and that my index would age like fine wine in raceroom. It didnt. It is now unplayable regardless of setting, it aged like milk and now I can't play my favorite game. It's a mess and I'm really sad, really really sad.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  11. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm also struggling to find a fix.. posted this on Reddit but maybe this is a better place:

Hi, I have a I9 9900 + 2080 Super. In Iracing, Assetto, IL2 and other sims I get a constant 90fps with my SS set to 100% with medium to max graphic options on.

In Raceroom - With my former headset, Quest 1, I got a constant 72fps (the max for Quest 1) on highest settings and a full field on the track. I was using Opencomposite to bypass SteamVR.

With the Reverb G2 - Only on the lowest settings I get 90fps, on medium I'm getting drops to 60, even when I set the SS in Steam to 50%.
    Fpsvr shows a CPU load of 20% and GPU of 50%, but a CPU frametime of 11 (which is bad I think?)
    I messed around with the 'settings per game' in SteamVR but turning that reprojection on gave me 45fps.

I don't have much knowledge about these things but I think my cpu and gpu are powerfull enough to handle Raceroom in 90fps on at least medium details, since all other sims run awesome. Anybody have an idea what I could try?

12. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Do you have some custom Nvidia AA profile in Inspector or something? In that case, it might be worth reverting to the defaults just for the time of troubleshooting.

The most important option is 'Shadows' in VR. Basically 'Off' and 'Lowest' are our only realistic options. If you can't handle the missing shadows, set it on 'Lowest', but I don't recommend going higher. Then 'Shader Quality' is also an important factor, 'Low' looks a bit worse, but 'Medium' looks ok. 'Car Reflection Quality' is also fine on 'Low', you won't see much of it from the cockpit anyway. Multi-Sampling at 4xAA. I'd also recommend limiting the visible cars at 18-20, it isn't very noticable in VR and prevents huge performance loss with bigger grids. With these settings, I can run RR at 90 Hz and 130% SteamVR SS and you have a better config than mine (see my signature for details).

• Like Like x 1
  13. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Balrog, no I don't use any custom shader profile. I set the graphics to medium yesterday with shadows turned off and even then I got dips to about 70fps with full field at Laguna. I'll experiment some more with the tips you gave me, but I should be able to run it so much better than it does now. Max fps on High with the Quest.. now I can't even run on Medium with shadows on.
    I suspect SteamVR is the issue here, I was using OpenComposite on the Quest and that gave me a huge improvement.

14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Might be, my only option is SteamVR, so I can only work with what I have there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  15. A Warringa

A Warringa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yep that's my issue now - with the G2 I can't use OpenComposite anymore.

16. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone experiencing frame drops and stutters using recent Nvidia drivers?
    I've been having this issue since driver 451.
    Nvidia released a hot fix driver 461.33 the past few days that was supposed to help with frame drops/spikes and stutters in steam vr which I tried but still having issues.
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...lOGtxRU9mNXV1V2JWZTRUck1Md0RnUGZQS2VRJTIxJTIx

Try this Nvidia hotfix GPU driver if your games are crashing or SteamVR is stuttering | PC Gamer

Shame cause the clarity is great compared to driver 448 that seems to work the best for me atm. Far less AA and shimmering.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  17. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    461.33 is just a hotfix so far, not a final version of the new driver. I tested it and get a lot less stuttering than before (even without SteamVR), but it's not completely gone. I hope the next full release (not hotfix) driver will be fix these issues completely.

18. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    ya it didn't work to well for me, the last driver that works relatively well for me is driver 446.14

19. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    "VR Performance Tweaks & Tips"

..Keep puppies away from the cables. :(

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. SonnyTron

SonnyTron New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any idea how to make the VR look good outside the windshield? Everything inside the cockpit looks sharp. But the distance is just disorienting with how blurry and pixelated it is.
    I've tried setting SteamVR to 180% resolution and it still looks bad so I think it's a setting in graphics settings in the game.

My hardware:
    RTX 3070
    i7-9700K
    Valve Index