VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. djhandz007

djhandz007 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  2. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I drive with r7 3700x, rx6800xt and valve index, any idea why fps drops whole time. I mean I started 15 min race, fps was around 75, in the end of race it was 55. I set steam ss to 85% and startup with -vr 2.0. all settings are quite low.
    edit: found problem, my cpu temperatures raised until 98deg celsius. both fans were dead. now same settings 64fps

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  3. SonnyTron

SonnyTron New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I switched to a Reverb G1 and this is the only game that runs like pure crap. It looks like a slideshow. I set all the settings to low, all shadows off, all track details to low, my Steam VR sampling resolution is at 80% and it's getting like 8 FPS. It's completely unplayable like this.
    And no there's nothing wrong with my drivers, stop asking that. There's nothing wrong with my PC at all. Even Assetto Corsa Competizione looks better and runs better in VR. I have nothing consuming memory. The only software on my computer is the latest hotfix Nvidia driver, Steam, Mixed Reality software and Google Chrome and no Chrome isn't running when I try to get Raceroom to work, and even if it was, it's not intensive enough to cause issues or it would cause problems with the other 10+ VR titles I use which have better graphics than Raceroom anyway and don't slow down with Chrome running.
    I tried running the lowest possible of every setting, and even adjusting all the "legacy projection" "smoothing" or whatever doesn't help.
    It looks like a slide show.
    Can anyone help?
    i7-9700K
    32GB DDR4 3000
    RTX 3070 MSI Gaming X
    Crucial P something (I think P200) NVME 1TB SSD
    Z390 Aorus Pro
    HP Reverb G1 (I also have a Valve Index but the Index runs fine for some reason, although with awful low settings)

4. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi mate, I'm in no way an expert here but from what I understand (I've done a lot of research on here as I run in VR) RR is extremely processor intensive, due to being a Direct 9x engine.
    Even so your i7 should have no problems running a decent looking experience in here.
    When you say Asseto Corsa runs 'better' do you mean it runs well or just not as bad? If its just not as bad I'd say theirs an issue somewhere, have you used tool to see what sort of usage your i7 is running it to check theirs no bottleneck their?
    Thier is a section on here that some kindly chap has put together which gives you an idea of how well your processor should do, you download a specific free game and run it's diagnostic tool which will show you how well RR will run by proxy, I'l find the page and add the link to it.

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    @SonnyTron You're not the first Reverb user describing similar simptoms, I think there must be something with the SteamVR - WMR - RR combo which make things much worse, the peformance on my Index is... at least tolerable, unfortunately the Zen 2 processors aren't excellent for VR as I eventually found out.

6. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Im using a Quest 2 with link cable (official)
    I9 9900k 8 cores 16 threads 5ghz
    16g 266mhz DDR4 ram (2x8)
    GTX 2080ti windforce GPU
    I get around 90 fps with great settings so as Balrog says it must be something to do with the G1 or VI combined with the game and steam VR. Very odd though

7. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just disable all shadows! game looks weird but it is playable with vr

8. SonnyTron

SonnyTron New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa runs really well. Like, I can actually turn the settings close to high and I still get 90+ FPS without issue. This is strictly a problem with RaceRoom.
    I tried downloading OpenComposite and now the game won't even load. It crashes...

9. Robert

Robert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone also have some sort of flickering every few seconds with the Rift S ?

10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I use a Rift S and get no flickering at all. It runs very nicely.

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No, never had that with my Rift s.
    Are you maintaining 80 FPS?

12. Pullblox

Pullblox Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. I use i7 4770k 4.2ghz, 16 gb, rx 5700xt from Oculus Quest 2 connected via link cable. Has anyone encountered a problem in which fps did not rise above 45? I use open composit and fps blocked at 45 even in competitions. ASW disable.

13. Robert

Robert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about the FPS. How to check that? Maybe it's my vdo card (gtx 1080)?

Seems like some frames are skipping every few seconds

14. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Do you have time progression enabled? That can cause performance issues for many people, especially in VR.

15. Robert

Robert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do i find it?

I have lowered all the graphic settings and now everything is in slow motion!

16. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    what settings impact to show smokes from wheels ?

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    In the event settings, beneath the time of day option. Set it to 0x to disable it.

It's probably the Particle Detail option.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Robert

Robert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you managed to solve the problem?

19. Popo28

Popo28 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello, since I plugged in the hp reverb g2, r3e crashes after about 150 minutes. Had an Oculus Rift before, so there was no problem. Now no crash dump, no entry in the eventlog. I have already reinstalled windows, steam and r3e, no change. Anyone else have an idea? Request to support unanswered for 1 month.

20. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I changed particles to high, no smokes. something is broken ?
    I have driven without shadows and now changed both as low and contact shadows from 5 to 8 no shadows...