VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. thetriggerfinger999

thetriggerfinger999 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Specs: 5700xt
    ryzen 5 3600
    ddr4 3200 ram

I have tried everything to get ths game running smooth in vr, but its like a slideshow. What ive tried: 1: verified game files 2: tried open compisite( wouldnt even launch), 3: re-installed rift s and gpu drivers using ddu. 4: Ran with everything on low and no ai on track. 5:Changed steam-vr smoothing.

Even without ai on track i get constant stutters and its very uncomfortable to play, yet ams2,assetto corsa and dirt 2.0 run lovely for me. This is one of my favourite sims and i really want to get it working, any tips?

2. Pumo

Pumo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    are all shadows off ? it was me game changer its playable with Ryzen 7 3700x/rx6800xt/valve index. I try to get shadows under cars back but didnt game so I have to play without those...

3. thetriggerfinger999

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes all shadows off and everything on low, i dont mind that it looks bad, i just want a smooth performance.

4. straight_shooter

straight_shooter New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I have almost the same simrig ... and yes it' not very well but I can play it with open composite quite stable at 80Hz without AI.
    In multiplayer it depends on the track and players, but it's playable. Not always at 80 Hz, in some corners there are dropped frames but it's OK.
    Which gfx driver do you use? Version?

I tried for a long time a lot of things without better performance.
    So that's what I did:
    1. Latest gfx driver without Adrenalin Software ... only driver in device manager
    and modified regedit in windows with MorePowerTool
    2. opencomposite.ini standard: SS 1.0 etc.
    3. openvr_api.dll 1.0.1.0_ReleaseAVX2
    3. OTT: ASW off, SS 1.0 and other settings (I can post all the settings later)
    4. GFX settings in raceroom, almost everything off (I can post all the settings later)
    5. Ryzen 5 3600 OC to 4.3GHz at 1.256V

I hope this helps a little bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thetriggerfinger999

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am using the very latest drivers.

Thanks i will test later, it finally runs open compisite without crashing now so hopefully it makes a difference :).

6. thetriggerfinger999

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tried these last night but didn't fix it. Sadly I will just have to play it flat-screen from now on :(.

7. Robes

Robes New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Like others here I find the VR performance unacceptable. I get much better performance in ACC, which says something. Even with everything turned down the system struggles and it's a real shame, I'd like to use this sim more but it's just dropped off the radar now until there are some better optimisations. Some people suggesting that the performance is 'fine' but I find that really hard to understand, this sim is the worst offender off them all when it comes to performance. I don't have a problem with other sims, rFactor 2, ACC, AC, iRacing and AMS2 all run great for me.

I look forward to the time when there are some engine improvements so that I can enjoy this sim again.

8. thetriggerfinger999

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that has made the game somewhat playable for me was setting the oculus tray tool profile for raceroom to "45hz forced". Although it is obviously not as smooth as 80hz it gets rid of the terrible stuttering i had.

So not ideal at all but it is playable at least.

9. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Ryzen 1600x, RTX 2060, Quest 2 at 90Hz with automatic resolution if I recall and it seems to be smooth on medium but what I've found out is that webhud really kills framerate

10. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Morning fellas
    I'm hoping someone can come up with a solution to a problem I'm having with RaceRoom crashing back to steam vr home after about 2-3 hours of playing.
    I've got a quest 2, official link cable (plugged into the PC USB C port, as opposed to the 2080ti C port)
    I've got the aforementioned GPU with an i9 and 16 gig of 266mhz ram.
    On start up everything is fine and like everyone else I've tinkered around with the video settings and eye candy and got it running pretty nicely,
    I do notice straight away that on the loading screens when loading into a race and in the pit menu screens when in a lobby the game can freeze or hang for a few seconds whilst looking at the car setup etc but it straigtens itself out after a second or two.
    I then find after about 2-3 hours of play tthose hangs and freezes occur on the track although for a micro second here and there and then BOOM it takes me straight back to the Steam VR home screen.
    I've set the in game raceroom game resolution to maximum and it's at 60hz (my main screen isn't a monitor so RaceRoom won't allow me to set the HZ any higher than my tv refresh rate of 60HZ) and my quest 2 has been set at 1.3 and 90hz and 1.1 and 72hz but it still does it.
    I've noticed that steam VR won't allow me to change the default setting from 72hz to anything else.
    It's happened more frequently lately (I've been playing for about 3 months now)
    My internet connection is a solid 60 download and 19 upload.
    The only thing I've got left to try is to come off the oculus beta settings and reinstall the officialy released drivers which I did last night after it crashed again to see if that helps.
    Il test again today but if not my last ditch hope is trying the Open VR option that's been kindly put up to see if that solves it.

Any other ideas chaps?
    Any help is extremely appreciated

11. Chris Perry

Chris Perry New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It crashed again after turning of Steam VR motion smoothing although it only lasted about 20minutes rather than the usual 2 hours.
    I've installed the Open VR as described on the first page and so far so good.......

12. kila iceman

kila iceman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i followed the instructions and worked great, but then my oculus froze and said it couldnt track the headset and got the attached message. can it be fixed

Attached Files:

13. kila iceman

kila iceman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here is the log error can anyone explain what happened

16:25:36.204 TID:0x4b2c BaseCompositor::SubmitFrames Line:112 - OVR Call failed. Error code: -1005 Descr: ovr_EndFrameIndex frameIndex got 21884 expected 21885
    16:25:36.204 TID:0x4b2c oovr_abort_raw Line:48 - Abort!
    16:25:36.204 TID:0x4b2c BaseCompositor::SubmitFrames Line:112 - d:\repos\openovr\openovr\reimpl\basecompositor.cpp line: 112 error: -6000

14. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Identical rig to yours (I've a Lenovo Explorer), at this time on low/medium I can run 15 AI at Laguna and have 60fps at the Greenlight climbing to about 70fps when things spread out; I'm playing with the Reality Portal set to 90htz; so from here I could choose to leave drop the Portal to 60hzt, or Steam with re-projection always on.

If you;re still having issues, I'll drop all of my settings in here tomorrow and see if they help.

The main point of the post, I had to re-install windows to get this performance; between and AMD update and/or the latest troublesome Windows update something went terribly wrong; 15 AI at Laguna was running at from 30fps to 40fps.

In this particular instance, a complete re-install fixed it and, to my eye, the latest AMD Major release have given me better performance than I've ever had; try disabling Anti-Lag(?) in the AMD software.

Let me know if you want my settings and I'll pop them in.

EDIT: Also used Process Lasso for the first time, possibly placebo but I'm sure that made a difference.

15. sps.for.r3e

sps.for.r3e Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

maybe you have an idea, why R3E doesn´t start in VR anymore and how to fix it:

Client version = 0.9.2.39
    Client BuildID = 6683269

Haven´t played for about 2 weeks, not started it since Update Client version = 0.9.2.38, yesterday I wanted to start the game and always get a "SteamVR has encountered a critical error" crash message from SteamVR.

SteamVR.JPG

I know, there have been Windows-, Nvidia, Windows Mixed Reality for Steam, SteamVR- and Steam-Client-Updates in the last 2 weeks, I don´t know which Update causing the issue, but I don´t have any troubbles with Assetto Corsa Competizione, AC or DCS for example.

I already have completely deinstalled and reinstalled:

- R3E incl. Simbin Folder in "mydocuments" 45GB
    - Windows Mixed Reality
    - "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam" (with and without beta) V1.3.6
    -SteamVR (with and without beta) V1.17.9
    - Nvidia 466.47 (DDU)
    - Steam Client

@C:\Users\User\AppData\Local
    - SteamVR
    - openvr

Game starts in "Monitor Mode", no issues there.

No crash logs in Crash Dumps folder.
    I haven´t touched any settings or hardware at all, before the issue appeared.

Windows 10 Home, Version: 21H1, Build: 19043.985

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB 3600 CL16 TridentZ NEo G-Skill , NVIDIA Asus ROG Strix RTX2080 8GB, ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, HP Reverb VR Headset, Triple 32" WQHD Samsung 7790*1440
    Fanatec Podium DD1, Formula 1 2018 limited Edition wheel, Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R, ClubSport Pedals V3, SQ-Shifter

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  16. sps.for.r3e

sps.for.r3e Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Same issue with the new SteamVR Beta 1.17.10

Automobilista 2 works as well without issues.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    And with the non-beta version? Betas have bugs by their very nature, and problems are to be expected.

18. sps.for.r3e

sps.for.r3e Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As you can read above:

19. Jok3sta

Jok3sta Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Having the same issue. Game wont launch in VR for me. Steam vr always crashes

20. Scotty G

Scotty G Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    How did you do the install?