VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jok3sta

Jok3sta Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    How did i install raceroom?. No different than any other steam game. Its been installed for over 5 year im sure

2. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Before i risk anything with an unnecessary beta update: I heard the new 30.0 Oculus beta (some already seem to have the non beta version, but i'm not one of the chosen ones) helps a lot with SteamVR performance when enabling the OpenXR runtime. Can anyone confirm this helps in RaceRoom?

3. Jok3sta

Jok3sta Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Solved my issue by using the non beta version of Mixed reality for Steam

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bells0

bells0 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interested to know too, got a Quest 2 last week and resonably happy with VR compared to ACC, but any tweaks to get it looking nicer [everying on low for me] would be great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bells0

bells0 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Newbie to VR with a Q2. Quite happy with performance on track now i've lowered settings - but what i can't work out is why the menus are so blurry! - can hardly see to choose options. This something i can change?

Also, do HUD's not work well in VR? Otter and the inbuilt are tiny and impossible to see/read [be happy with a timer and position]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  6. Chip

Chip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I’m thinking about jumping into R3E for the first time ever, but after reading the info about performance with an HP G2 in this thread, I’m a bit hesitant to do so...is it a lost cause with a 1080ti and i5-9600K? If it’s not a lost cause, are the best settings to attempt the ones @Maarten posted back on page 10? Thanks!

EDIT: I just noticed the PC specs are identical to mine on those suggested settings, so I’ll give it a shot and report back.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  7. sps.for.r3e

sps.for.r3e Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Client version = 0.9.3.007 fixed it for me.

8. JSvetek

JSvetek New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For Otter, activate the test mode to show all widgets, hover your mouse over the widgets, hold down CTRL, and use your mouse wheel to make them bigger. Took me a while to figure that out :tearsofjoy:, but that may still not get them as big as you would like.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. mikeymr

mikeymr New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have been tweaking my life away the past two days after getting tempted back in by the update. Thank you to @Maarten for the starting point.

Since I last played, I have upgraded my CPU and GPU. I acknowledge that it is not the most common system (needed in part for the day job) and it has been easy to get good performance.

What I really wanted to achieve was to get the IQ as good as possible, without excessive shimmer/aliasing. I'm not 100% happy yet and I'm posting here more in the hope that someone more knowledgeable says - "why are you doing it like that? This way would be much better..."!

It may also be useful to someone with similar system as a starting point...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  10. Cirejoe

Cirejoe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Worked perfectly until the May update. Beta/Non Beta gives the same result. Hope someone comes up with an answer.

11. mikeymr

mikeymr New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  12. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hey, so does OpenComposite as described in OP still work after the new update? Just reinstalled the game, so I'm wondering whether I should even bother with setting it up. Cheers

13. straight_shooter

straight_shooter New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes ... Open Composite works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Yep. I did exactly that last night.

I am noticing a performance hit atm though.. Even when hotlapping solo I'm noticing the framerate dip below my native 90, especially on the Nurburgring.. I backed up my graphics settings beforehand, so I'm not sure what the difference is yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hm, I will need to do some testing regarding performance, but for me R3E would almost always run with ASW OpenComposite during races which is quite playable. Hotlapping I think I was hitting 80 FPS with OC before the update.

Now I haven't installed OC yet, just played a bit through SteamVR and honestly didn't see a difference in performance, so I might ditch OC altogether.

16. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I'm tempted to give Steam VR another shot as well.

I did have the settings dialed in perfectly for a stable 90 in most situations, but it was certainly on a knife edge.. I don't know if this update has nudged it just enough for me to be dropping in/out of ASW now.

17. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Check reflection setting. There is a new one and it's CPU hungry. In my case really thinking, that it jumped to the full 1k without my doing.

18. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I checked, but It's already on the lowest 'simple cube map' option.

19. Scythie VR

Scythie VR New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, wanted to give R3E another try after 1.5 years of abstinence, looking forward to the new FF update. But instantly faced bad performance issues, experiencing low CPU frametimes according to FPS VR (somewhere between 15-35ms). Not playable at all, even on lowest settings and low resolution in Steam VR. Shouldn't happen with my System. Thank you for helping.

My System:
    Ryzen 5800X
    RX6900XT
    HP reverb G1

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. Alex_76

Alex_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Only 0.6.0.0 works for me now (Rift CV1), all others now hang when entering the race screen. I used to use 1.0.0.0 AVX2 and that seemed to give a nice performance boost, it doesn't seem to have any performance advantage over Steam VR now, maybe the opposite.