VR settings / performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Topshelf147, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Topshelf147

Topshelf147 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, just wanted to check in and see what settings most are running in VR. I've been trying everything I can think of to get the fps close to 90, and the only reasonable option I have to get even close is to just set it to Low. I do up the Multisample to 2x and Car Detail to high though. Even then I'm close to 50-60 fps in traffic, sometimes lowerl And I think I'm on a pretty decent system. On triples I can run it pretty much at max settings with no issues, but it's crushing my pc in VR. Looking at fpsVR, it seems to be all on the CPU side. Is this normal? SteamVR SS is set to auto at 120, and the Nvidia control panel I have on max performance. The game seems to run smooth, but I sure wouldn't mind increasing the details a little bit.

System specs:
    HP Omenn 870-244
    I7 7700
    16GB RAM
    GTX 1070
    Samsung Odyssey+

Thanks

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    After steamVR went to their new always on crap async reprojection (there actually is no command/button but it can be turned off using a hot key and in mirror mode?!?!). - I gave up and hacked steam to use a old version of steamVR. I bring this up because I have a 6950X i7 over clocked and a 2080ti (slightly over clocked) 64 gigs of 3400 ram and still was getting stutters no matter what I did. Worse if you turn off all their crap reprojection stuff there is ghosting/stuttering of moving objects. I've read dozens of reports on the steam forums about how crap their new steamVR is since Nov, but the dev's simply don't seem to care and the beta that just came out is still a mess (tried it this weekend). So many people have had issues that you can find a couple different forums with instructions on how to roll back and keep it there (because it will force you to update, cause the devs are asshats - literally no option to stop it from auto updating other than hacking into a config file).

So, I can literally get solid 90fps with track and car on high, super sampling at 2.3, AAX2, shadows low, reflections low, tire marks on, 19 cars visible, etc using steamVR from early ~October - But using the new steamVR I simply never achieve a solid 90fps in raceroom.

3. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I lean heavily on ASW during starts. Run most things besides Car/track details on on low, 2xAA 1.5 SS. I could probably crank it a bit higher but keeping it this way has seen me through full grids at Spa and Nords and I'm reluctant to change setting on a per race basis.

4. Topshelf147

Topshelf147 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Had no idea about this Steam issue. Is it easy to hack? I did think it used to run better, but honestly thought that was in my head. I'm not going to jump through hoops if it's a major hassle though, so looks like I might be stuck where I am. Sounds about the same settings as Rodent. Not even sure which one or two settings would be best to try to increase if I had a little headroom .

Also, is this game 100% cpu based? fpsVR graphs show my GPU at like 5% max.

5. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Also still being DX9 instead of DX11 isn’t helping the fps in VR.
    I’m glad that I updated my pc last month, I can finally run Raceroom in decent fps now.

• Winner Winner x 1