VR Suppot ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrMabuse1963, Feb 21, 2016.

1. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi , supported this Game OR or HTC Vive ( or in future ) ?

2. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    At this time, no. Future i don't know. I only know that oculus rift won't support directX 9 game's.

3. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    it was working on DK2 a while ago, but since Oculus dropped dx9 support, it isn't any more, however as Ernie mentioned, there is way to workaround, so fingers crossed.... also JF seems to be very dedicated about VR support, so hope they will manage to figure it out... oh im talking about Oculus, but i guess if they make it for one headset, it is gonna be pretty easy to add support for the rest...

5. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Good Grief ... I only just bought this game and silly me did not do enough research ... firstly I only just discovered the "Always On Internet Connection Required" and I have crap internet connection ... Seriously can't it be programmed to just check once at the beginning of the day and be done with it ?

And I also thought VR via the Oculus Rift CV1 was already fully implemented .... I hope Sector3 will update the code required because, despite what few people here believe, you do not have to change over to DX11 to be compatible. There are workarounds to get DX9 games fully working on current Dk2 and soon to be released CV1 that other programmers are using, such as Live For Speed amongst others.

It just takes the programmers to invest some time & money to implement it, but seriously it is well worth it for a solid racing sim like this one as racing imho benefits most from VR and there will be many new VR users soon just itching for some good race titles. RRRE needs to get onboard and not be left behind by Project Cars and AC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Ernie, yeah that workaround indeed exists and I mentioned it to s3s in the past. Not sure how well it works perf wise, probably going through another image copy, but better than nothing.

We got Vives at our offices lately, very cool experience, res is still too low imo, but close-up scenerios and the whole "walking and virtual hands" experience is great and feels like a turn-key solution. Great tracking, low latency.... Oculus better strike back with their "hands" controller and allow similarly standing/walking experience.

can't wait to see 2k or higher resolution per eye, as that holds it back foremost, will also need some beefy GPUs, as one needs really good anti-aliasing for the "large pixels". So we are talking probably rendering like 4k per eye ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    A 4k HMD already exists in prototype form; AMD is working with a company right now.

As for the consumer HMD's coming next week and later, it's really disappointing that there will be so few options for VR players - at least initially. AC should be getting VR support fairly soon but, it doesn't sound like it will be much beyond very basic functionality as it was before. None of the serious Sim-title developers seem interested at this point sighting the small user-base as the reason to wait or not bother at all. iRacing should be getting support soon but, I'm not a fan of subscription services.

I have an Oculus CV1 coming in May but, I'm on the fence in regard to canceling at this point as Sim-racing is - by far, my main interest in VR use. I've had a DK2 for about the last year and half so I may keep that for a while and see how things are working with the new SDK. I was really excited about VR but, now that's fading fast as more Sim-developers are pulling back on VR support.:(

LFS is confirmed to work with the current public SDK0.8 but, it's unclear if it will work with SDK1 (per Scawen). The sounds in LFS destroy anything approaching immersion for me though.

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Just hang in there... I guess it would need a bit more time to get sims with real good VR-Support. The Price of the 1st-Gen-HMD's are quite high for a mass-market and so it drops down in priority of the rather small sim-development-studios.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    so do i understand it right, at this time i can't get a dk2 to work with r3e. Somebody know a place where to rent a dk2 for some testing in Germany? Would like to experience the dk2 for myself to make a better decision for buying or not.

11. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    They are not "pulling back" imo, as true support was hardly existent and that was fair given the early state of devkits, just be patient. Developers need to see how this works out as well in terms of stable SDKs and consumer hardware. We have the dx9 popularity among several sim titles, that complicates the situation a bit (not as efficient to render two eyes and trickery to talk with the dx11-based vr sdks). We are still at the dawn phase of VR, but it's inevitable gonna "work out" in the end, which is super exciting, it will only get cheaper and better in the next years.
    The big strides are made now in the early phase, then say in 3-4 years or so we will have some pretty damn awesome hw and games along with it.

@M4IRC1IE I'd ignore the dev-kits and try find someone with the consumer versions. There is probably conferences/trade shows over the year where they get presented.

12. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You make excellent points but, it's not so easy to be patient for those of us who have already been waiting for a long, long time for VR to arrive in it's current form. It seemed as though that time had arrived but, it's not really the case for Racing-Sims just yet. It's not the end of the world; just a bummer. :)

13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I really, really hope R3E will be updated to work with the CV1 Rift but even if it is only working with HTC Vive I will go buy one of those as well just to play RaceRoom ! :)

I enjoyed pCars, AC & LFS for so long in VR that it has been really hard going back to a 2D screen to wait, even though my screen is 40inch and 4K I still miss that exhilarating feeling of actually being right there in the cockpit ~ it is just so awesome :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Especially your first sentence shows the very early stage of VR. There is no VR-Standard at the moment which splits the little Community of VR-Users in even smaller groups. I hope the VR-Industry will quickly find a Standard-API so that it doesn't matter if you have a Vive, a Rift or something else. That would make things for the game-devs very much easier. SteamVR is a first attempt for that, but it's not sure if it is the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The oculus shop has me worried the most. Even having to run steam to use the vive is really wrong from a developers stand-point. But well, everyone wants to have direct connection to users for tracking, hence their own portals & accounts...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    It's not so bad, I think when things settle down the cream will rise to the top and the best titles, racing or any game genre, will have versions available equally on both Rift & Vive. I just don't want RaceRoom to get left behind because being that it is dx9 could actually be a benefit for early VR because less demanding gfx engine looks faster in race. Project Cars being dx11 needed the ultra settings dialled right back and because of resolution limitations the eye candy got lost a little anyway. However both LFS & ETS2 (dx9) looked awesome and ran fast & smooth on my Dk2. No reason RaceRoom could not be updated to run similarly on Rift using the same workaround those titles have used. I know the devs from both titles were communicating with each other about getting things working properly after Oculus dropped dx9 support and because of that I could not imagine any reason they would not help Sector3 if asked. But this could all be in vain anyway judging by the way J-F was talking - sure hope he changes his mind !

• Like Like x 1
  17. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Well from past interviews J-F was very excited about VR, more so than tripple screens, if I recall correctly. It's all a matter of resources. You have P many programmers with individual experience and preferences and T many tasks, from which a large sub-set has finite deadlines given by the people who pay you for it. So then they squeeze in what they can in the rest of the time, but you have to sort the tasks by "bang for buck" as well. How many people benefit from throwing resources on VR, vs other stuff. Also how much of this work would actually end up just as temporary "fix" given long run investigations to redo the core rendering technology . It's just harsh realism right now, not some people "not feeling like it". It's not easy to make those decisions, you also need to use the "free-time" to investigate into future like unreal or whatever, "big picture / long time" rather than hacking VR in now, as much as it would be enjoyable for the few who have it. Cause once you make it available it will also create pressure to keep improving it next to all the other stuff as well.

If you tried the latest goggles it's hard to not like it or not be convinced how big it will be ;) (we got them in our offices and colleagues bring their children in to share the amazement, and the tracking is spot on, so no-one got sick and all use their virtual controller hands just fine). Right now the goggles are barely attainable, long shipping...

just be patient, no question this will come to R3E some day, especially as raceroom uses the game for event promotion and whatnot. They could synchronize the real race with the game server and then you could virtually "sit" in one of the cars as the race is still live going on (although that is probably a situation where you still get sick hehe)

and the longer it takes, the more research was done and the more developers may have found cool new ways to use them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  18. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    my CV1 scheduled to arrive in april sometimes, whenever it arrives, im happy to share my experiences, and if someone willing, can visit me and try it by him/herself (im in Germany/Kaiserslautern).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Schweetz

Schweetz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    What about Trinus VR ? I'm curious to buy a good google cardboard alternative, like the VR box 2 or Shinecon, together with phone and Trinus VR its possible to stream pc games to your phone. With usb-connection less than 4ms delay I would say its worth a try, isn't it?

20. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    You're not going to get good results with that, trust me