VR Suppot ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrMabuse1963, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Schweetz

Schweetz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Today I tried a Samsung Gear VR at the MediaMarkt (large electronics store). I was amazed and surprised. Maybe you are right I couldn't expect that much.. But to be honest I was surprised in favor for this kind of VR experience and I think it could be a way to play RaceRoom for small stints. I've watched several video's and I think Fake 3D will be the best format to play R3e, because you don't need to compromise your screen into 2 seperate screens for both eyes.

I'm really curious to this feeling now.. I want to know what it is to race with something like it. Sure, graphics won't be that good.. But for 20 to 30 dollars it's worth a try isn't it ? Not the Samsung Gear VR then, but possibly the Shinecon Vr or VR Box 2..

2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Nah, I think they are a very poor representation, especially for racing ... but then I got spoiled using Rift Dk2 for over a year and having hours of immersive fun racing pCars, Assetto and Live For Speed. After that every other cheap knock off for VR just feels ... cheap and a rip-off ! Get a Rift or Vive and Go Hard or Go Home I say :D

Once my Rift arrives I will be saying goodbye to Race Room and by then hopefully Dirt Rally has been updated and also Assetto Corsa. As good as RRRE is it will not take any of my time and I will not put any more money into it once my VR system is back in full swing. The fact that the Sector3 developers have totally ignored several questions on VR lately tells me it is a low priority or simply not even on their radar. The lack of answers does annoy me alot as the many VR race enthusiasts supporting them do deserve information now that Rift & Vive are released. That is a big fail by this dev/publisher in my estimation and for me (and many other sim racers) VR racing is the future and it cannot come faster and there are enough good racing titles with more coming to not be bothered any longer. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Schweetz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Well, I've to admit, they, Sector 3, can't ignore the future for VR and their game. Man I love to have this game with VR experience and that's why I wan tto try those cheap VR-ish goggles. Sure, I know they are not the same as the Rift or Viva.. But I don't have the Rift or Vive money, but for 30 to 40 euro's a kind-off same experience.. Good enough for me.

And dear devs and managers of R3e.. listen to this man above me.. Please place Vr higher on your to-do- list ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Surely this is the future of VR and sim racing

Just read in the comments that he can't see his hands while in game and it's done with video editing.

If it was possible to add a camera to the headset could it work?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    It definitely is but some devs are stuck in old world mindset and they have the support of people who are scared to lose their triple screen support or think that implementing VR takes the devs away from other more "useful" tasks.:rolleyes:

But it is reasonable to ask, why put Oculus Rift devkit support in originally then abandon it ? VR users know how awesome it was and so are passionate to have continued support. Unfortunately it falls on deaf ears around here it appears. :eek:

6. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    It has to be budget influenced. If there is not enough money to go DX11 or DX12 then that's that. I can't think of any other reason any game would not have VR support.

When you look at the already released VR games it's pretty lame and needs some already established titles to go DX12 and get VR in.

7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    No Alex, that is not it because it has already been shown that although dx9 support was dropped, there is no need to upgrade the title to dx11/12. Live for Speed and Euro Truck Sim 2 are both dx9 games and they work perfectly in VR on Oculus Rift because the coders found a way to implement without changing the dx9 base. True Story ! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    I'd assume what they make use of is that from Vista upwards you can share resources among the dx versions, which means you can tunnel the dx9 render-targets to dx11 (or opposite, but doesn't matter) and therefore have the VR context running in dx11. The VR device doesn't care for how you come up with the images ;) and you can have dx9 and dx11 in parallel in the same app. It's a tad messy, but as @Blanes said others have done it, too.
    The original devkit support is probably abandoned because it requires more work to get things working well again (the SDKs change a lot). The moment you "offer" something now for the production devices, it will be another topic you need to regularly take care of, as people will demand steady progress (ui...). And that is where the budget situation kicks in...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    That is the same for every feature. pCars had VR implemented very early and the devs said once implemented it was not too much work to keep updated and it has quite complex graphical effects & ui. The excuses against VR for RRRE appear weak and quite bewildering. Some people oppose it because they dislike VR for various reasons and have other agendas they fear will be impacted negatively.

10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Sector3 is definitely not against VR and they definitely like it - thats the reason they had a VR-Support with earlier versions before oculus dropped the DX9-Support. Before the prices of the VR-Headsets were released a proper VR-Implementation seems to have an even higher priority than further triple-screen-support. But at the moment the Prices are to high for a big market and thats the reason it dropped in priority.
    Yes, the Live for Speed-Devs had build a work-a-round to support the Oculus with it's DX9-engine. But don't forget that LFS's base was released 10 years before R3E - it doesn't need much ressources. R3E already has a huge load on the CPU which AMD-CPU-Users unfortunatly seems to notice already. With that work-a-round you would put even more load to the CPU - and a stuttering picture is the last thing you will have in VR. So it would need decent work in the engine to get it run properly. But how many players would really take notice of that while other features still wait for implementation?
    And how meaningful would be that work when in future the Rendering-Engine would really change to an engine, that VR-Support already has out of the box?

11. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    The prices are silly high....and I have more than enough money for vr.

My friend is getting one, I'll judge after that.

Huge potential, still years away.

12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess it isn't that far away. It is in a typical early-adopter-stage, so it would need about a year to get more mass-market appeal.
    The introduction-prices for new technologies are always very high. At the moment it's the time to grab the money from the Techies and Companys that want VR as fast as possible - and at the moment the Head-Sets aren't really available. So there is no real market at the moment.
    If the Headsets are available in sufficant quantity the prices will start to drop and sony can have an influence on that, too.

On my side I'll have a look how things will develope. There are some Headsets still in Development and I guess the 2. Gen from Oculus and Vive with higher resolution and better optics are already in planing.

13. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I figure about 2 yeasrs out before it will be affordable to the masses(gfx cards)and have better content and interaction usage. I keep hearing the screens are not that great ATM.

It could be another 3d bust, but I think it has far more potential.

14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
  15. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yep but is here to stay this time and will gain acceptance much quicker than some believe ! :cool:

I only wish more sim racers had chance to properly setup a VR system and tune it for themselves because it can be daunting and tricky to get right initially but once you are "in the car" and racing ... Wow ! just incredible.

I have now slowly come to realise that it is flogging a dead horse on this forum, trying to convince the devs to update for vr or even start an intelligent dialogue about it. The attitude here from a few plus the "no comment" attitude of devs is extremely disappointing. I and no doubt a number of other fans of RRRE will find our racing fix elsewhere as soon as our headsets arrive. pCars is now playable on Vive, and Assetto Corsa confirmed updating soon, which is great news. One day RRRE ... maybe :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Schweetz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's just the fact they,ve a tight schedule to follow and they are keen to that. In mean time VR is rising potential (budget + highend) and they first stick to their plan before looking to VR support. For the budget story, they could talk to the boys of Trinus VR, to get a well balanced setup for any mobile phone or tablet and RaceRoom could be a big title for Trinus as well, you can count the recent proposed gaming titles on one hand. It's (from my point of view) only a matter of testing, tweaking and coding and could be ready for this summer. For me it's rocket science, but for techies and pro's it won't be.

17. Optimalspieler

Optimalspieler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Trinus and all those mobile phone gadgets are lacking positional tracking though, which is an important aspect. VR is more than just looking around 360, it's about presence and you can hardly achieve that with a phone at the moment unfortunately. Apps like Trinus are neat, but with the Rift and Vive we have much better hardware available that can actually be used as a full replacement for monitors.

Also, people who shell out 740 Euros for a Rift are probably more likely to buy a lot of content in R3E while Trinus owners might stick more to the free content. So I'm not sure if it makes sense for S3 to implement support for it over Rift or Vive.

But as @Blanes has said, this is all theory and we'll probably get no VR of any kind for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  18. Schweetz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you're right about that and that's why I think that is the ideal start for a coloboration between those two partners. Or Kinoconsole instead of Trinus. It's something about an egg and a chicken.. who was first ?

With a partnership between a VR-streaming application (Trinus or Kinoconsole) you make more users curious for a race-experience like you could have with RaceRoom. In the end, you can play RR3e for free without any bought dlc.. but I think that's the right thing to do for Sector3, because if you've one out of 10 free players that could become an addicted racer that buys dlc once in a while.. so they make some money with it. And Trinus or Kinoconsole would have more users in their app. And maybe we've a potential new brand for an high-end VR HMD, thanks to a very simple line of coding.. All you need is the ability to look around in your car with your mouse.. Trinus can convert that into headtracking movement (not as solid as a high-end set) and it's for the most users and users of those applications, the first acquaintance with VR in racing games. No it's not that good as the Oculus Rift or Vive.. but good enough to do some laps, taste a bit of this new technology and maybe it's also a new simracer that could join hundreds of races and events :)

So in that way I agreed with Blanes above me.. They really need to look into this VR movement !

• Like Like x 1
  19. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I tried a DK2 at a friends myself and it's very cool. As mentioned, the great head tracking really helps makes the experience as immersive as it is. (When i put the unit on at first i told my friend "the head tracking is turned off" - and then realized that it was working so seamlessly that i didn't notice it - it was on!) But it is definitely too much for something i'll only want or be able to use once in a while. Once a unit with proper head tracking comes down in price, i'll buy one to break out once in awhile - definitely something that should be experienced by any gamer..

20. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Agree....I just think too many people will have to also be purchasing a new CPU and GPU. With that added in for cost, its pretty far away for a lot of people.

• Agree Agree x 2