VR, triple screen or single screen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fischhaltefolie, Jan 28, 2017.

?

VR, tripple screen or single screen

1. VR, nothing else

46 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Tripple screen, that's good

43 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Single screen

47 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. VR is planed

21 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Tripple is planed

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I'm quite curious.
    What's your choice?
    Why do you prefer this?

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Single screen.
    No room for Triple screen and VR is too expensive at the moment for me

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I came to the revelation just yesterday that I cannot race on a single screen any more having had a Rift CV1 since October, I was happy racing in AC and popping back to RF2 & AMS but when RR added VR that was it. Two great titles and with RF2 adding VR soon then racing on a flat screen is now a thing of the past for me, it's a game changer for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    But how can you see your wheel (Buttons), a Button Box, shifter etc? I cannot imagine driving "blind"

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Quick answer: It didn't take long to get used too it, essentially the in game arms/hands/wheel "become your own".

Long answer: It really didn't take that much getting used too, finding buttons & the gear shift became natural. I don't have a button box so can only imagine that would take some getting used too, but like I've said elsewhere: If a blind person can get out of bed, get dressed, walk downstairs and make a cuppa tea then I'm sure we can get used to a button box :)

I wrote extensively about my first impressions and ongoing thoughts in this thread on the RF2 forums:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/oculus-rift-cv1-first-impressions.53552/

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  6. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'm very curious about VR but not shopping it in the near future. But if one, like me, having glasses how does it work then? Anyone tried? How is it calibrated?

7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I hope to find places to try out VR before buying
    There are to many

8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    VR for sim racing since 2014, triples abandoned never looked back. 40inch 4K monitor for games like Mafia 3 and Forza Horizon 3. VR is simply a no brainer for racing & with motion+simvibe there is nothing better except perhaps IRL racing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Single screen. I don't see the point of building a triple screen setup now when VR is on the rise, but I'm patiently waiting for the 2nd-3rd generation devices, the technology will be more mature by then hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    It's VR only for me. Can't play with triple screens anymore. That's why i bought Automobilista to support them but didn't drive a meter so far :D

11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    which vr headsets are you guys using? I'm waiting for the one from AOC. I'm wearing glasses so some kind of lens correction or ability to wear the glasses should be possible.

12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Rift CV1, I have seen VR Cover (company, google them) do a different Face Plate that may help glass wearers but I don't wear them myself.

13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Very happy with triple 40" setup for now and real life dash and buttons, but VR has definitely impressed me when tried it and at least landed on my radar. Its more individual needs that's stopping me from really pursuing it.

14. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'm wearing glasses myself and i'm using the Rift. Beside the general problems for us with steamed up glasses they fit in the Occulus mask.

15. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Agree!

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I'll wait for better image quality before switching to VR. In the meantime tripple monitors are great for me. I have tested the Oculus Rift for 2 days and sent it back then. I hardly believe that i will use VR exclusively. Be prepared to buy big sunglasses to hide the markings in your face from wearing the HMD for several hours. :cool:

17. Purg

Purg Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    After having the Rift since May, I couldn't go back to racing in anything but VR. While it has it's limitations, it's far and away the best racing "experience" to be had. I don't have button boxes or any other peripherals besides a wheel and H shifter. If I'm racing something more complex than I have buttons on my wheel, I use VoiceAttack and configure voice commands to do what I need.

I always had issues trying to interpret what I was seeing and could never translate that into feel. While you don't get seat of the pants feeling in VR, you get something close to it as I'm intuitively correcting the car before I even realise what I'm doing. Something I'm usually too late doing on flat or triples.

Within 10 minutes of downloading the RR patch, I bought the Premium Pack.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Had triples and ditched them as i was getting tired of constantly upgrading hardware to power the hungry beast. Now i have a Dell 34" ultra wide curved monitor 3440 x 1440p which is good enough for me....i might pick up a headtracking device soon to hold me over till the next gen vr and prices drop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    VR wins hand down

I used to race on triple 46" 55" 46" screens and have used them once since i got the rift in may last year.

DTM 2016 with crewchief
    8 channel simvibe
    GS-4 G-Seat
    AccuForce

And.... The Oculus Rift : It doesn't get any better than that:D

• Like Like x 1