VR users need Gamma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Papifix, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The representation in Raceroom is unrealistically bright with VR. Whether with Rift or Odyssey. The track textures are almost always white. Even if you assign the full color space from 0 - 255 to HDMI, little changes.

In other simulations it is similar. There it is possible to adjust it with the GAMMA value.

It would be enough to set GAMMA in the " graphics_options.xml ".

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    cant you set that in your graphics cards settings in an Raceroom profile ?

Andi

3. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm afraid not. Settings in Nvidia Control Panel are not effective in VR. VR is controlled via direct driver

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    If you're on a Rift, you could always try this tweak. Note that results do vary between headsets and games though, so it may not be the perfect solution. I can however confirm that it did greatly improve the look of R3E for me. (Not tried any other games yet.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I can't see any difference here.

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    the gamma is fine on the Vive

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    This seems like a perception thing because I find it fine on the Rift as well? Raceroom at noon doesn't seem overly bright compared to any of the other sims supporting VR during the same timeslot.

More options are never a bad thing of course but if your road texture is white I'd say there's another problem beyond gamma, are you finding interiors overly bright as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @Rodent

The track textures are brightest. The rest, the track and the vehicles outside and inside are a bit too bright.

I'm currently using the Samsung Odyssey +, so the problem is even more pronounced than with the Rift

9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Using a 1st gen Odyssey here and all is fine, you could try changing the colour filters, go to steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\Shaders\dx9\fx\moods and rename one of the filters to default.default the results are varied depending on which you choose, it may help, probably wont, but something to think about.
    See here https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/differents-moods.123/

10. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I've already changed that. The Odyssey+ is a bit lighter than the Odyssey1.

Could be due to the filter that almost eliminates the Screen Door Effect.