[VR] What will be the output resolution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gp20, Dec 12, 2016.

1. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    It seems that the output resolution of PCars (VR) is locked to 1080p.
    I wonder what will be the one for R3E?

2. DayGlow

DayGlow New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where did you see that?

3. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Here :
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21856-Oculus-rift-DK2-Setup-Guide/page8

It seems that steam vr has some limitations about resolution and the limits are the one of the HTC and Oculus (whatever you set in game).
    But Pcars is locked to 1080p (for both eyes). The resolution you set in game is used for the control view on your main monitor and not for the VR view in your headset.

I hope that R3E will allow 1440p (for both eyes) because with 1080p you can see correctly the cockpit of your car but not the cars in front of you.
    IMO 1440p is mandatory for simracing.

4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Arent you limited by the resolution of the head set, and not the game?

5. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    No there is a headset which support higher resolution but it changes nothing.

6. DayGlow

DayGlow New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You are looking at a thread for the DK2, not the release version. The DK2 had a 1920x1080 panel so that's what was rendered.

The CV1 has a 2160x1200 Total resolution from 2 1080x1200 panels (is this what you are thinking?) so in direct mode, which is the only mode now, it is rendered at the native resolution. Also now you can increase the pixel density in a config file so you can get supersampled resolutions in pcars.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  7. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Supersampling does not add details.
    You are right about the dk2 and CV1 but it does not change the fact that you are limited.
    You can't get nativ 1440p or more with Pcars.
    Unfortunatly it's not enough for racing games.

8. DayGlow

DayGlow New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Supersampling does clean up the image. In DCS running a pixel density of 1 (native) the small dials aren't legible. Up it to 2 (double native resolution scaled back down) and you can read them. Not crystal clear, but it does make a noticeable difference in visual detail.

In your opinion it's not enough resolution, but for me the immersion of vr more than makes up for the loss of resolution. I may not be able to read the sponsor decals of a car 100 yards in front of me, but I get a much better sense of the motion of my vehicle making easier to control.

9. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    No because you have a pretty bad image of other vehicules.
    I had a Pimax and it has a 4k screen so it does oversampling and i used amd VSR in conjunction. The result was not as great as using a simple 1080p screen with PCars.
    The cockpit and the back of the car just in front of you are clear, that's all.
    I wonder if it's a steam limitation. If it's not a steam limitation i hope that we will have the choice of 1440p in steam VR mode.

The same Pimax with real 1440p images looks so much better.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016