"We are official now"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by keanos, Oct 5, 2018.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Regression rather than evolution old boy. Whether grammatically sound or indeed right or wrong, I think my point is made. ;);) Fossils should sit on a shelf and gather dust in silence or as I use them, as a doorstop, which I kick now and then and the dogs rub their arses on it, think the ridges of said Ammonite find the spot perfectly!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I was just teasing...in the end it doesn't make a difference to me what label is put to what I'm passionate about - but nice to get the (official) confimation not to be retarded playing computer simulations as grown up man tho :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    so "boring" now means "entertaining" ?????????????????
    this word evolution is quite complicated

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sport:

"a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job"

Does sim racing count as sport? Debatable, as the physical effort bit depends how you play. If you use a high end wheel and pedals, yes, but you can equally use a g27 or a gamepad.

Professional gamer yes, professional sportsman? No. Imo

5. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Imho, needing physical effort doesn't mean it needs to be physicaly demanding. Just that it needs some physical activity. Things like snooker and minigolf are sports, and these do not require any significant physical effort.

It might seem like stupid semantics, but in general our current laws do not understand the term "proffesional gamer", so you are either "professional sportsman", or a plebian :D. And this has huge implacations when it comes to stuff like visas, or covid travel restrictions. ;)

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I'd understand if the debate was about something quite abstract, like first person shooters or MOBAs. Such, ehm, activities are quite alien to how most people understand the term "sport". But top level simracing? I think it ticks all the boxes: physical activity, needs a ton of skill and practice, is a competition. It only looks bad because videogames are seen exclusively as something you do for fun, and nothing else. But just because most of the time they are used like this, doesn't mean there's no place for sport.