what do you think of a real "get real" for online races?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oppolo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    if I choose a "get real" server I would like to have by default forced cockpit view, damage, tire wear, cut track penalties and all flag rules

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. k.C goran

k.C goran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    That would be nice.I was thinking months ago,to get a 4th driving mode,which could be only "real" without "get".;)Options for that mode could be discussed.

3. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Sure, if you want to split the 20-30ish players that actually race R3E online...:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I didn't think to split "get real" in 2 categories, but there are already 3: novice, amateur and get real...a "get real", with not so much real, could be "amateur""

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    there is a huge list of suggestions and to do's for the standalone server , hopefully all will be implemented at some point

Andi

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I agree except it should be forced hud or cockpit, some people can't drive with cockpit and it make little difference to let them for those of us used to cockpit view... And when I hear get real I was hoping for more realism not necessary in visual but if you hit a car full throttle from behind or high side a rail the race is and should be over.
    Forcing people to think little more about how they drive in a race. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    @theravenousbeast maybe it would be an idea for the future,when there are a lot more driver's.
    I drive only in cockpit without animated wheel.Find it disturbing when there is a wheel shown on the screen,while i using a real one.Needs a bit practice and adjusting but really gives better feeling and handling of the car...makes you faster:)

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    absolutely

9. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I dislike the idea of forcing cockpit view on people. There aren't that many people racing R3E online, if your force cockpit view and some of those few people don't like cockpit view and thus don't join, all you're doing is further limiting your already limited number of drivers. I like the idea of having the track rules/settings set to be realistic, but outside of that I'd far prefer to have as many drivers as possible regardless as what kind of view they use. I feel the same about forcing h-gate shifting, I don't care how they shift I just want them to fill the grid!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Maybe creating categories on the Server Lobby itself, so that you can see at first glance what's awaiting you (e.g. hardcore rules with full damage, mech. failures, tyre wear, fuel consumption, pitstop strategy a.s.o.)...but forcing ppl to use H-shifter and cockpit view is a bit over the top specially for those who don't have a highend-wheel. And coming from DIRT Rally for example, the immersion with the FOV in cockpitview is horrible, almost undriveable (for me), though I generally prefer it due to realism but had to use dashboard view. Might be the same with some folks with R3E ....(and what Brandon says- see post above)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    These things should be options for dedicated servers. That way if you have a league or club you can set it up. I would love that. Those that don't want it would barely know it existed.

Agree not a good idea to split existing public servers further.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yep, but as I said above, to have a real "get real" mode for hardcore simmers like me, it doesn't mean it does not exist a mode for people wanting to drive in 3rd person view....there are novice and amateur classes, what's the meaning, now, of having 2 classes for servers with aids?...but I know, people want to be in get real mode but in the end not so real

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I'm a single screen user and i don't think this is a problem. As long as we have the ability to compensate by moving the seat (camera) forward (and it can be moved very far forward).
    But you are still in the cockpit and experiencing the same problem such as dirt on the windscreen reflections and effects of sunlight. Which is not the case when driving with eg hood .Both unrealistic and beneficial.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I think we don't need another mode or difficulty setting. All of those things could be achieved by introducing pursuant options in the server or sp race setup menus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    According to http://steamcharts.com/app/211500 all time peak it's really not a good idea to have a fourth mode of driving.Think this can change in the future.(BTW it must! change.)

"There will never be Real Sim Racing because of the lackness of the Computer(Machine)."
    As I heard this one interesting sentence of one of the Dev's in a Dev-Stream,I thaught myself,why then don't try overall to create nearly equal precondition with driving mode's.I am not sure if that is a good idea forcing people to whatsoever driving mode.

As in Real Racing,if you are dissatisfied with your "Hardware";)then you should invest at least money in it.

For League Sim-Racing a "Real" mode would be cool.

16. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    it's not enought, in game stock car and formula truck there is the possibilitie to have forced cockpit view....well, I've never found one, and when I tried to host a server with forced cockpit, no one joined...so a question come up to my mind, why people buy a sim and then they want not to sim completely? it is so satisfied to drive with eyes in the exactly position as in real life...if there is a "get real" mode, it should be set as much real as possible otherwise it's only a fake "get real"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    A really bitter and strong exaggeration.

Does it really matter if a few of all these would have a "get real " - mode, if you're still not invited?
    5382-70eaf2a51aa35c7c239ac2806087e5fc.jpg

Yes , give the admins of dedi servers what they want. Let them set up their servers as they want .

"Your server, your rules"

With these admins comes new players, and not just individual players, but whole groups . And these will of course not just drive on the dedi-servers they will also run on open servers.

An example of a league that has not yet bin racing on R3E . They lack features but will now test drive .

http://speedzone.se/index.php?topic=1738.0

I think there are many more waiting for the right features , so give them what they want and we will see many new members.

That's what i think :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    imo it doesn't matter...let's begin to put our eyes view in the same position for all of us, with all rules...flags damage tire wear etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I've known plenty of people who refuse to race in cockpit view. If R3E had hundreds of drivers filling the servers it may not be an issue, but usually it's more like a couple dozen. Of those couple dozen you might attract 6-10 people to a server, so even if only 1 or 2 of them didn't want to race in cockpit view you could be eliminating a significant percentage of your potential drivers. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible.

Mostly, I just don't understand why you would want to dictate that someone else should play the game the same way you do. If there's any advantage to driving in bumper/hood view it's probably not going to be very much, so I just can't really see any logical reason to force a particular method of play on people just because you think they should be playing in the most realistic way possible (according to arbitrary standards). If one person wants to be ultra-realistic and race in cockpit view, use the h-shifter, and wear a firesuit and helmet while they race, by all means do it! But why should it matter that some stranger on his couch half way around the globe is using a different view?

But that's just me, if/when I host a server my main concern is getting as many drivers on the grid as possible, I don't care what equipment or driving view they're using. I'd rather have 20+ drivers using a variety of driving views than 6 drivers using the same driving view as me. I can appreciate the concept the OP is getting at, to me it's just not practical in a sim with so few users (and I'm just personally against forcing people to play a certain way).

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    @oppolo partly agree..wouldn't call it fake "get real" more like want to "get real"?Here comes "real"!;).Most fast so called Alien driver's are driving in Cockpit view.There must be a reason for that!Look at their youtube videos.To be fast is one thing,to immerse yourself in a Race Car and be fast is another thing.That's my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1