What happens with Aston Martin in R3E?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m.bohlken, Apr 12, 2015.

1. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    @Jay Ekkel : well, when Kunos is able to gather licenses for Italian brands, what about Scandinavian brands for S3? ;)
    They are not that well-known or famous, but there are some beauties of cars out there or had been in the past. Maybe some additions to the GTX class? Koenigsegg, tons of Volvos (not really for GTX :p), Zenvo, Saab, ...

I can imagine, as stated before, that some manufacturers will also keep an eye on the competitors present in the sim. I have to think of the competition Top Gear was trying to set up: LeFerrari vs. P1 vs. 918 Spyder on Nordschleife. Porsche constantly refuses to let this battle happen :D

Crossing my fingers Jay will be able to obtain some further great additions to the sim! Maybe some exclusives as well...
    Or really a collaboration with SRO for an exclusive partnership for the Blancpain series. I'm sure SRO can and will help to receive the missing licenses?!?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @FunkyChicken I thought it was Ferrari dragging their heels about that Top Gear idea?

I'd be perfectly happy with some Mazda MX-5 Cup cars, recently found out it was the most raced car world wide :) (I'll find something to back that up lol).

3. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it was Ferrari; not perfectly sure. At least McLaren seemed to be confident with their car;)

4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Found something, slightly mistaken again though (second time today o_O).

I know it's a Wikipedia source but it got references from somewhere.

5. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Ronin, you have to find bugs in-game not in threads :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I keep trying but people like you keep beating me too them! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if there is an end date to that Porsche/EA contract? As far as i know it goes back since the 90's so i hope it isn't indefinite... :eek:

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    +1
    And that goes for some really nice and fun tracks as well!! :)

Swedes are pleasant and generous people, you might even be completely sponsored if you decide to do a new STCC "The Game" Experience!
    What are you waiting for, let's get to work Jay!! ;)

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Well, they signed the contract with EA, and Im sure they didnt do it because they saw some money and didnt know what exactly exclusivity entails ;)

I think that there is not any indication of the deal being up this year. Quite the opposite really. I've heard numbers ranging from 2018 at its current earliest, to 2022. The deal I dont believe was signed in 2000 either. NFS: PU was released around then, but I dont think the game came out after an exclusivity agreement had been made. More like a teaser to get Porsche to join with EA.

Simply because...

Yeah, a few games have actually. The early Forza games had licensed Porsche models included with the actual base game. More recently, Forza 4 or 5 had a Porsche DLC pack.

Going back to racing sims with Porche... The guys here from the SimBin days might know a thing or two about that ;) Porsche was included in FIA GTR2 I believe. However, it's not in the Steam version because that version came out after the EA exclusivity deal had been made preventing those cars from being released in a "new" game. Check the file folders of the game though, you can see the sound sample remnants of the cars. Mods also add back in those vehicles which were in the retail copy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall though, regarding Porsche. They may not have foreseen such a giant demand for their cars in true sims, but I doubt they were completely clueless. The licensing team there may not be the most grounded and down to earth, and care more about getting a few more bucks in the bank, which EA no doubt provided loads of... It is EA after all, and this is an exclusivity agreement preventing anyone else from using Porsche... It would have had to have been for a lot of moolah... Otherwise Porsche could have said no and cashed in from all the different games wanting to include their cars.

It's a shame that the deal has lasted so long and will continue on for a while longer. Hopefully this is a good lesson to car manufacturers that an exclusivity deal regarding licenses in games is a bad choice... if they care anything about the consumer :rolleyes:

Oh well, in the mean time... More RUF's!!! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Sector 3 should do crowd funding for licenses.
    Do a survey to every player that have an account ask them what brand they would want to see the most.
    Then setup a crowd fund to help with it. I know it's not as simple as trowing money at them to get the license but make a second choice of the first choice fails.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    This was where my mind was going when you mentioned Saab. A new STCC pack would be great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    No doubt, they willingly signed thinking it was a good deal, but I would think they likely regret it at this point. Not going to massively impact their bottom line, but when they got into it EA and NFS were the big players and I doubt they saw it turning out the way it has done, with the explosion of different studios and titles and the NFS brand gradually being eroded into whatever it is today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Crowdfunding for licenses is a nice idea, but i'm afraid this wouldn't crowned with success.
    As long as i see a lot of people moaning about R3E car prices of just 3-4 Euro/Dollar, i can't imagine we get enough money for Aston Martin, Porsche or Lamborghini.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Personally I have no problem with paying 300vrp for a car ( I recently have an issue with how the packs are calculated but that's a different story )
    I would have no problem putting some money down if it can help s3 acquiring a license that the community wants, of course the backers would get the car or some of the cars base on how much they have put forward and some special liveries ect....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It was a sub-licence.
    Turn10 had a deal with EA for Forza, and they was able to as they had a exclusive licence on Ferrari at this time.. Some big money deal between big studios...
    The deal ended with Forza4 and the Porsche dlc.
    No more Porsche in Forza since...

16. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @nate

I noticed you mention Forza series... Yeah. that's pretty much about it. Totally forgot. I wonder why/how.
    Even GT5 didn't have them IIRC nor GT6 so I guess something slipped to Turn10 due to something MS related...
    TBH, I stopped worrying about it. No need to beat a dead horse and pretty much everything here (and other forums) are just speculation on what had/would/will happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I agree with you on all the speculation. Regarding Forza and Porsche though, EA holds the license and Turn 10 paid EA to license a few models to use in game. This probably cost a bucketload of money, which only the really big dogs have. And with Turn 10's Micro$oft backing... ;)

Im not all that fussed with it, as much as I would love to see Porsche in anything that doesnt have to do with EA, but that sadly does not seem like it will happen again for a while. Outside of games with mod support. In the meantime, RUF fills that void eloquently enough, although they arent exactly Porsche.

If I really want to get my Porsche fix in, Ill just boot up NFS: PU again. Man, what a game that was back in the day.

18. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    @Jay Ekkel can you explain me one thing on licensing ?

So, if you guys wanted to have, for instance, a license for a LMP2 car, in which naming is done using the chassis name and the engine manufacturer (like Oreca 05 - Nissan, Dome S103 - Nissan, Morgan Evo - SARD, etc..) from whom would you have to license it from? From the chassis manufacturer? The engine manufacturer? Or both?

19. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    that really depends on who owns the rights to the actual car. From a license perspective we dont care much about the engine it is running..

If all rights to the car are owned by the car/chassis manufacturer, than that is all we need. But if its a mixed team project and they decided the rights are shared between the two parties then both.

For example, the McLaren-Mercedes 722 we have ingame is a dual license car, since the rights to this car are owned partially by McLaren and partially by Mercedes.

• Informative Informative x 6
  20. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, i was curious :)