What I believe I understood about adaptive AI...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I found info on that that sometimes is contradicting.

The adaptive AI starts at lowest settings, always. Check?

It needs completed races to make it adapt. Check?

Qualifications and Practices do not count, and are not needed additionally to races. Check?

It does not make a difference within one race, it does not alter within one and the same race. Check?

The adapted value only affects the given track and car combination, check? So if you use various cars on that track, you would make several races per each car you use, check? Am I the only one seeing a pragmatism problem there? I for sure do not run one race after another on one and the same track.

I read it gets recommend to delete that Adaptive AI excel file every time the game gets updated. That makes it even more repetitive to always start at scratch. On every track. With every car on that track.

Idea: have the process of adaptation starting from a AI value setting of your choice, not the lowest (which has me racing all alone until I start overlapping cars), but for example 90% or whatever you see fit and think is close to your level. The process also should be speeded up. So that maybe car classes or car packs add together, and that the adaptation process starts not after races, but individual laps already, or triples of laps.

I do not know the backgrounds, but maybe an alternative would be like in AC, to have the option to directly drive and log a new racing line into the sim, that the AI from then on uses. I do not know whether the AI in both sims compare in design, however, the AI in AC is terribly inferior to that in R3E currently.

The idea is great. But the handling in reality currently makes it unpragmatic, and unattractive to use.

How many races of how many laps does it take to havbe the AI starting to show differences, btw?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I have to say that I was pretty enthusiast about Adaptative IA at start, but I end up to go back on fixed IA strength.

The thing is that it take to much time to do every car/track combo at least once.. and once is not enough.
    i.e.
    I did a first quick championship on DTM14 exp. Didn't win, but had fight for the 1st places. I enjoy it even I find it to easy since it was the first time I played DTM and those tracks.
    I launch a second championship, thinking AI would be adapted and a little bit harder => it was a lot lot harder! I was on the lasts, with difficulties to catch... I stopped after 3 races, no more fun.

Did same thing on quick races with ADAC or WTCC. First race on a combo, is to easy to win, second race is almost impossible (for my skill) to do better than 20 on 24...
    I don't know how many race you need to do to adapte the IA to your skill but the difference between first race and second race is to high. It's as if the game said: "ok you win first time, try this now!!"
    The inconsistency of the IA is what ruin everything, on time there to easy, the other there to hard.

I ended up fixing IA between 110 and 115 (115 is for combo I master), it gives me races on whitch I fight on the 10 first places, with lot of fun (overtake are not to easy, have to stay concentrate and defend my place, etc )

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Is it really like that you need to repeat the procedure for every single car type? I am not so certai, and think that possibly you need to do it for every carpack/car class only:

After the update, I started a custom season with 20 min practice, 20 min qualify, and 30 minutes race. AI level was set to "adaptive". My car was the Audi DTM 1992, a car that drives like on rails.

I ended 1st place three times at Hockenheim, in race starting to overlapping the last cars before me when the race ended. I drove all the race all alone, with no car in sight, until the overlapping was about to begin at the very end of those 30 minutes. Boring.

Today, I did a single race at Hockenheim in the Audi again - and struggled to keep up with the pack. It was single race only, 8 minutes, no practice and qualification. I ended up last, with lagging behind 20 seconds after 8 minutes.

I then tried the BMW from the same DTM 1992 pack. The BMW is more sensible, its brakes bite more, but when braking it has a tendency, a risk to spin. I started another single race with adaptive, like the second race - and again was struggling to keep up with the field, again was left behind by 12 seconds (actually more because I shot myself out twice during last lap).

Race one: Audi 92 - easy win, very easy win
    Race two: Audi 92 - got outclassed
    Race three: BMW 92 - got left behind once again.

Both cars are fromt he same pack.

I did a fourth race, the Aquila that comes gratis with the game. New car class, dofferent pack. 8 minutes race, adaptive AI, no pratcie or qualification.

Easy win. I again shot myself into the off two times - and found it easy to catch up with the field and roll it up, winning in the end,else I would have won by an even bigger margin.

I would appreciate if somebody really knowing the technical background would explain how the system now really works, what its preconditions are to function, and how it does what it does. I searched the forum, and via Google, and found too much contradicting feedback by players. But that did not really clear the muddy water.

If just two or three 8 min races per car pack/car class are needed to "callibrate" the aI, and the effect is there for all cars of that car pack/car class, that would be acceptable practice then, if not always deleting it after an upgrade again (which totally would disqualify the concept).

4. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Calling Dev to post #3... Dev to post #3

Seriously, i'd like to be certain on how it works because I did a few races at Ocherseleben (is this spelled right?) and the AI always seemed to behave the same in the same spots... Maybe it was my imagination and It felt getting easier because I was also getting better. I don't know, hence ... DEV to post #3 :D

5. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Nope. I have the feeling nearly everyone outside of Germany has problems with that name.
    Oschersleben would be correct ;)

6. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Looks like I am reading what I have seen in game right a few minutes ago (and several times before). It makes some people laugh but I have noticed that even if the AI is fixed to a certain level, it tends to become difficult to beat after something like 3 races on the same track..
    I have won easily on the track mentioned above with touring classic + dtm 92 + wtcc, wanted to go on with dtm 2013 but 2h00 later I was still unable to win against 10 cars. Started a fifth time with the aquila : 1st after second corner and they never reached me again. I stopped after a few minutes and now I am posting on this forum again lol :D

7. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I am fine with the spelling it is the pronunciation that concerns me.:confused:

8. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Haha, it's always funny to hear English commentators saying the name :D

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Oschersleben.
    "O" like "Au" in Aukland
    "schers" like in singer's name "Cher's"
    "l" like l
    "e" like "ea" in "bear" spoken with a heavy Scottish accent
    "ben" like the name "Ben"

Not difficult. Germans have more difficulties to pronounce "squirrel". It breaks and smashes our throats. :D

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1