What is holding back my performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gazza, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I play in VR using a Valve Index, mostly online, I use the 80fps setting, I have a 2080, 16gb ddr4 3600, i7 10700, it can run very smoothly on a lot of tracks, but at the Nord it does not, I understand it’s a big track etc but that’s not really the problem, so when my frame rate drops to 60 or 70 FPS my cpu is not being troubled and my GPU is around 65%, I don’t understand why this is?
    If my GPU is at 90%+ as it is in other games I would expect the low FPS but not at these low FPS, in fact if I try to get more visual performance from my GPU I get lower frame rate so I have tweaked graphic settings down to play smoothly at 80 fps.
    Any help or advice welcomed:)

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I have no advice, I can only confirm that it's not your rig. FPS on NS depends heavily not only on which layout is used (base Nordshleife layour being the best of them all) but also on whether time multiplier is enabled (I have from 35% to 55% less FPS compared to when multiplier is set to 0x). For example, on Chang the FPS drop from time multiplier is only about 10%.

This is a known issue. I thought it's mainly the shadows thing, but even turning shadows off completely only gives me back like 10-15% FPS.

3. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, I have never knowingly touched the time multiplier but i will check it.

4. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I have checked it but it was at 0x so not that.

5. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What graphics settings are you running (including SS)?
    I run a 2080ti with my Index and like you experience nice smooth gameplay mixed with decent quality visuals, but haven't as yet tried Nords (which I will do soon). I've been playing with the graphics settings quite a bit recently and am pretty happy currently (pre Nords obviously), but may spot something in your settings perhaps.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Having tried Nords, seems I'm in the same boat with 45fps and low CPU and GPU usage.

Motion smoothing is also off.

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Every Core is under low usage? I don't believe :)
    How do you get this information?
    I use HW Monitor in the Background and after a few laps, I can see every core in a graph with history of it.
    Mostly in Raceroom I can see one core at about 90 - 95 Percent, one other at around 45 Percent and the other six without big load.
    So it depends on the problem that only one (yes and a half) core ist used because of (not only) DX9 in Raceroom.

8. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Using FPSVR, which may not be the best tool for the job on the CPU front.

9. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Can confirm that changing time multiplyer from 1 to 0 increased my FPS to decent levels and is now playable. Thanks for the tip.

10. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I also use FPSVR, I will have look at hardware monitor, it would make sense if my CPU was maxed out on a core or two.

11. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    RR only uses one CPU core. Additionally the assignment to any special core often changes under Windows. So for example if you see 2 cores being used at 50% each in task manager, this is the same as having one core maxed out. On modern CPUs you have a lot of cores and the changing of assignments can lead to looking like a lot of cores being used to only a fraction of their potential.

12. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I used Hardware monitor, 3 threads were in the high mid 90%, must be my problem, not a lot I can do about that:(
    I am also running Simvibe and Crewcheif.

13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Next to the mentioned motion blur and shadows (especially time progressing),
    reflections to low is what I use (and prefer visually) to reduce cpu workloads.
    Overlays other than the native hud, will also go through cpu for uploading. R3e is sensitive to upload performance so double check graphics card is running in x16 pcie config.

14. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For reference my graphics settings are below. The ones in bold seem to hammer the system, or give little benefit so wouldn't go any higher:

Mirrors: On
    Track LOD: Medium (big hitter, but low is horrible)
    Car LOD: Low
    Particle Detail: Medium
    Tyre Marks: On
    Specular: On
    Car Reflection Quality: Low
    Track Animations: Off
    Shadows: Low
    Car Shadows: On
    Contact Shadows: 10
    Shadow Split: Off
    Multi-Sampling: 4 x AA
    FXAA: Off