What is the general view on the individual car classes' physics realism?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I see that the various car classes differ tremendously in the way how fair and predictable the handle. Some, namely the GT-X and other superfast exotic cars, are insanely difficult to be not made spinning at ever ycorner, while others are driving like on rails.

I also wonder about the ikmense differenc ebetween the DTM cars in the 1992 pack, and the modern DTM cars: 2013, 2014. In the DTM1992, and there especially in the Audi, I drive like a locomotive on rails, I must want to make the car spionning in order to have it spinni8ng, but in the DTM 2013 cars I also see a lack of grip and spinning my car that I really wonder whether there really has been that tremendous loss of grip in German turing cars over the past two decades?

Obviously, some cars are more fun for me to use than others. The GTR3, BMW Procar, WTCC and DTM92 all are well-behaved , more or less, and fair.

What some cars that are shared with the car park in Assetto Corsa do in this sim, is extremely different. The GT2 cars come to my mind. The M3 GT2 is much better behaved in AC, than in R3E, I noticed. And while the MP412C in AC is a primadonna and demands to treated just well, the GT3 version is a dream to drive in AC - and surprisingly snappy and instabile in R3E.

The P4/5 also is very different in both sims, quite bitchy in R3E, while being challenging but fair and relatively stabile in AC. In AC is cannot compete with the Zonda, while in R3E it is place dint he same class with it and three other lightspeed racers. Hell, that thing was designed to compete in GT2/3 classes, I was told!

In general I would recommend the more lead-back, slightly slower car classes in R3E. The fast ones and exotic ones behave suspicious to me.

2. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    It does bad service to the game that the DTM 2014 is not integrated into R3E, but is kept as a separate game.

3. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    DTM and ADAC experiences are separate titels because licensing issues, not much they can do about it atm i think.

Regarding "supercar"handling, basically you have to learn to drive those cars, especially gas handling is important, no flatouts in corner exit, also try to avoid curbs in acceleration phase as a first step. if you cannot be easy on your right foot, try to adjust gas sensitivity in control settings, that can help a bit. Also therer are various car setting which make gas handling much more "user friendly".
    Honestly i would like to see more "agressive" car behaviour, even the 350 hp of the MB190 is a lot, in real life with an agressive flatout you could spin that car very easy. 1st time i was driven an old supra with 250 hp, in 2nd gear i spun it in a second with a flatout.

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, obviously you need to drive them like that, yes, in this and in any other sim worth its name, but that was not what I meant. I wondered about how realistically the real things' driving behaviour is modelled here. The instability and tendency to spin is imo insane in some of these superfast cars, the Gumpert and such. I would not board for a ride even if the driver would be a professional real world champion, the risk is too high since the car behaves too unpredictable, not even a drug-induced suicidal basic mood would make me board such a car if they would really behave like this. Seem some of these supersportscars are modelled in AC as well, and are obviously more difficult to drive than touring car, yes, or a normal street car for the family, your tips all are correct. Still, the cars there are more predictable, challenging, but not irresponsibly dangerous to drive. I said earlier, in another thread, I find the physics in R3E consistent in themselves, but less subtle and complex in feedback than in AC. And still: the more extreme the car is, the more overproportionally seems to climb the difficlty to drive them in R3E. With the real beast there are, Gumpert and the like, it would be irresponsible to have a race in rality if they would behave like that, me thinks.

I also wonder why DTM cars twenty years ago should have had so much more grip, than DTM cars of the present. Usually it is exactly the other way arounds: with development over the years the cars become safer and more grippy while maintaining the speed. Either the DTM92 is too tame, or the DTM13/14 is too aggressively modelled.

I said in another thread that I nevertheless like the racing and driving experience in R3E, plus the superior AI, whcih is a big let-down in AC currently, after all those many months. But having tested all cars there are now (I abused the Easter sales heavily...), it is clear to me that I will not buy any new car packs that feature exotic supersportscars and excessive speed monsters anymore. Makes no sense, imo. The slower car classes in R3E work much better, and more believable, imo, more according to what one would expect to see. After all, even race drivers usually are not showing the mindset of a dedicated Kamikaze.

5. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I'm not gonna participate in a physics discussion much, but I'll just leave you with two facts to take into consideration;

They are updating physics and FFB per class, as such some classes have outdated and worse physics/FFB than others. The last class to be updated was the GT2 class.

The 92 DTM Audi is a 4WD, so it should have more traction than the rest unless I'm completely mistaken. That said I find both the Audi and the rest of the 92 DTM package to be quite tailhappy and lovely to drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Regarding supercars i don't feel them so seriously hard to drive, i was driving them (and still do), and when you get used to it, it is not much harder than any other (talking about Zonda and P4/5). For me it is much more inpredictable in AC, like Huayra goes everywhere but straight when you give gas. I think that comes from the fact i don't really like AC, so driving only ocasionaly (probably it is the same with you, get used to AC behaviour and it is different than R3E). Also GTR-X cars still run old physics modell (and GTR-X will dissapear in the future, the cars will be moved under GT1 and GT2 series, except Zonda i guess)
    About DTM i partially feel as you do. I think we only feel more grip on old cars because they are much weaker (MB and BMW around 350m Audi 400 but it is 4wd, Ford 500 VS modern DTM 500hp), modern DTM cars stick to the road like hell and imo it is well implemented in R3E. However i would like to see old DTM cars a bit less tame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Like Kjell I don't want to participate in a physics discussion but maybe I can clear up a bit regarding the DTM cars.

There just is no such thing as a continuous development from 1992 to 2014. The cars back in 1992 were based on legal road going cars with (even compared to modern WTCC) minor modifications. Modern DTM cars are not even touring cars - at least from what I understand a touring car to be. They are not even losely based on their road legal counterparts. They have absolutely no parts in common. They are full blown carbon fiber chassis based prototypes with a body that is to resemble to a certain road going car. But they are in no way derived from them, apart from looks.

I have no idea which of them should be more difficult to drive and I also have no base to make an assumption in this matter. I only wanted to clear up that these cars can't be compared in a way that they are different stages from the same line of evolution. Apart from being all cars with four wheels made for racing they don't have very much in common.

The nature of modern DTM cars also is the reason why I'm personally not really interested in DTM anymore. I find the cars to lack character. Only my personal opinion though... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget that million euros dreams on wheels are often broken by their owners because they are too hard with gaz pedal. Rich does not mean pilot, simracing player does not necesarily mean pilot, and overall I think game does not mean real life. As far as I can say , I clearly feel a difference between non updated and updated cars. You can drive GTR X easier by changing a bit the set up but they are still tricky (I am usually too brutal with pedals)...

• Agree Agree x 1