What made you faster?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    He announced it in his last video and meanwhile the first video in English is online.

Back in my Project Cars days I was indeed a lot faster without FFB, than with FFB enabled. I recognized something similar, though not as harsh as in PC, last week, when my CSL wheelbase had no FFB. My laptime at Spa was a bit quicker than before, though not much.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. RWLemon

RWLemon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok for me this is how it goes....

1) I use a controller (before everyone shoots me down, i know i should a wheel, thats a long story)
    2) So at first i was always on track i felt the cars were not stable, everything felt wierd...
    3) Easiest way is to to tweak the settings in practice and keep testing
    4) What you should find is that you will come to a sweet spot of how the car feels under cornering and braking
    5) Remember play with one value, test and feel the difference, keep doing this with all of them the values
    6) So for me i got to the point where now the car felt proper no body roll, good braking and accelerating
    7) This is where the fun begins, when youve got the best setup with what you have, save it and backup the file
    8) Now go practicing, first 1 or 2 laps get a feel of the car, then on the 3rd start pushing...
    9) Remember to have only about 8 laps of fuel and put weight dist 50/50... brake bios 50/50.... brake press 95
    10) When you was tweaking before, check your throttle and brake response, put upto 85% for both
    11) Also check Traction Control settings, put to about 35%
    12) Now you can start pushing and tweaking alittle the values above i just mentioned.
    13) You should be able to start braking later, and accelerating earlier, and cornering, if you are good, you can manipulate in mid corner to adjust lines as what you do ealier will affect this.
    14) I play on controller and im pretty fast... i know wheel i could be devasting, dont forget to put AI on 90% at first, watch there lines and copy...

See how you go, it will take you about 2-3 hours to get the setup right.. but it will be well worth it... trust me... Good Luck...

3. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I usually drive maybe 2-3 cars in the group category when training for a certain track, and try to make each one of them go faster, thus eliminating bad habits.

About the setups, I start by making every car as "grippy" and "turnable" as possible:
    - springs and ARBs set to minimum.
    - Negative Toes

Risky stuff, I know, but I tune the desired balance from there.

4. Iggy_82

Iggy_82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Loadcell brake pedal and practice!
    Jackie Stewart said something like, you have to be slow to be fast.
    Take it easy into the corners to get a better line and higher exit speed and after that start to explore how late I can brake whithout going to fast into the corner.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Great thread to read through, a lot of things to take away and maybe put into practice. For me the main thing is the setting up of the cars for each track and for your driving style. I watch the fast guys and try to take the same lines and speed in the corners but cant do it.
    I dont know the first thing about set ups and use default with wing and brake changes, this will never get me anywhere no matter how much i practice, there are some easier tracks where set ups are less important that mask just how much slower i am and i know unless i learn set ups and how to make them suit how i drive i am stuck where i am.
    Last night i did my fastest ever lap at paul ricard, a 1:51.9 and was right on the edge the whole lap and thought you cant go much faster than that without crashing, untill a 1:50.5 popped up.
    The set up dictates your ultimate speed, with lots of practice you can be really smooth, really accurate and really consistant on every track but what set up is on the car will determine your lap time.

6. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Look for the corners that are right before a straight. Use the real time lap difference to find out what is fast. Focus on exits first before you think about braking points and corner speeds. Most people do it the other way round. Late braking and carrying too much speed in the corner is a blueprint to leave loads of time on a track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I haven't used the game in a couple years, life got in the way. One of the things it used to allow was running against a driver from the leader boards. I found that was a good way to challenge myself and provide a consistent lap to run against.
    The pedals were the biggest improvement that I made, as was mentioned several by others, the g25 setup I used for years was replaced with fanatec csl wheel and pedals. The pedals were repeatable, lap after lap, made my driving experience more enjoyable.

8. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Learning to understand what I was feeling in the physics from game to game.

Eye tracking exercises.
    Looking further down track and locating your next turn/apex and looking through the apex to where you want to track out was probably my single best technic I learnt......and I could never do this consistantly unit I switched to VR

VR......than a decent mid range wheel/pedal set.

Edit: get the ffb rumble pedal mod and a buttkicker for under your seat.....once all your points of contact are getting feedback you just sucked in by the immersion and found I was more intune to what the car was doing.

9. badhairday

badhairday Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just turned the AI difficulty down a couple of notches:p

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I think there are two main components of being a reasonably fast and reliable simracer:

The first part is the driving itself:
    - The most important thing here is practising, obviously
    - Then comes the understanding of the setup options and how the actual car reacts to the changes
    - And of course, learning what you expect from a car to be close to 100% percent comfortable in it - and make your setup do exactly that

I think the final goal here is to be so comfortable with a car/track combination, that you can estimate your time to the tenths WHILE doing a hotlap, purely based on your feeling, driving and the small mistakes here and there.

Specially in R3E, the Leaderboards can be very useful here. Choose a faster laptime and challenge it (not the fastest time, but a slightly faster) and find your weak points compared to that driver. If you finally beat that time, choose a slightly faster one again and repeat the process.

And the second part is racecraft:
    - Learning how to utilize your skills and turn them into results in a race
    - In my view, the most significant component of that is being consistent and reliable - learn your limits and don't push it too far on a race distance, because mistakes will come eventually
    - Never do anything unexpected, especially while defending or attacking (e.g. quick and/or late direction changes) - it will make both you and your opponents uncomfortable or even angry - initiating potential mistakes and incidents
    - Be fair and patient while attacking - a good battle with a successful overtake at the end will make both parties happier compared to a divebomb at the first opportunity

The final goal in this part is to be able to complete a race without making a significant mistake and/or contact while finishing your race at least in the position you started.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    NR1 Is what you self believing allows you to be the fastest one
    NR2 you can only be faster if you drive against a faster driver.
    NR3 FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS
    NR4 Don't mess whit your hardware settings on race day.
    NR5 practice practice practice

• Like Like x 1
  12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Concentrating is, for me, the most important thing.

Concentrating on your braking points, your lines, you corner exits, the smoothness of your technique, your throttle application, the way you turn the wheel, everything. Just approaching each section of the track with nothing in your mind except the driving and the racing, with as much concentration as you possibly can makes a huge difference to your speed.

If you need to find more speed don't adjust your driving, increase your concentration level

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Get hired at a studio and then use all the devtools to cheat. That's what made me faster.

• Winner x 7
    • Funny x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  14. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Sim Racing IS FUN 4 real. So having a good time is to have a R3E installed so it can be experiensed.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. Reti

Reti New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    - clean(racing)-line
    - less fuel
    - practice
    - practice
    - luck
    - very luck
    - practice
    - REMEMBER it's game
    - practice

16. Jota Ele

Jota Ele Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    my secret weapon is very hard brake config and a blue shoes surely is a placebo effect i know but when I put my racing blue boots I'm another :D:p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Dave Brown65

Dave Brown65 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    practice, practice, practice;
    watching others driver's videos;
    trying other driver's setups.

18. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    dont be afraid to increase tc or use other available assists ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
  20. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Managing brake lock ups (trailbraking)
    Lift and coast (for endurance events)
    Perfecting pit stop routine
    Spring-mod for my G27 pedals

And as someone wrote above - don't be afraid to use some TC with GT3 cars. They do it in real life so why couldn't we do it when we put on our FIA grade racing suits, strap ourselves to our IKEA chairs with 12-point harness' and start up R3E?

I also try to use techniques in all racing games I play to actually improve my real driving skills and not just bend the game to my advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018