What payment method do you normally use for RRE content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vale, Jun 9, 2022.

?

What payment method do you normally use for RRE content?

1. Steam Wallet to be used immediately

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. vRP for immediate use and only the amount I need for that purchase.

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. I buy vRP in bulk to be used at a later date or to give to others or just to show support for game.

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. I never pay for content.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Now that the only way to buy game content is from the raceroom shop, I´d like to know what payment method you normally use if and when you buy stuff.

Do you use steam funds or do you buy vRP from Raceroom shop? If it is the latter, do you buy only the vRP you need for a specific content purchase or do you stock up on vRP to use later or perhaps to support the game, donate the codes to friends etc etc?

Choose the option that best applies and if you want to make additional comments please feel free.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  2. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Steam wallet.
    And the only reason not to use vrp is the fact i have no idea how to get them? Why is there no VRP button on the official store site, you can purchase cars, tracks and all other stuff but NO vrp?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. X-Vector

X-Vector New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It seems very non-intuitive, but the VRP is sold on Raceroom's hardware site.

4. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Why does RRE use Virtual Race Points (vRP), instead of a person's own currency? Americans pay in dollars, Brit's pay in pound sterling, shilling etc., EU countries in Euros, Russia in Rubles, Japan in Yen, Sweden in krona, Etc, Etc, Etc.? What is the purpose of selling RRE content this way?

"Nash"

5. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It means the money goes directly to the game owners and Steam don´t manage the payment so won´t take a cut. You can buy vRP using USD/GBP/EUR.

I am surprised at the number of forum members who don´t know or use vRP as these places are usually for beginners needing help or those invested in the game.

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    There are several reasons for that.

1) In-game currency that's sold in packs often makes people pay more than they need for their purchase.
    2) Discounts or bonuses to the currency packs encourage more purchases.
    3) In-game currency as a middle-man for purchases lowers the company's responsibility. Players have fewer legal reasons to ask for a refund if something's wrong with the content they bought, because legally the deal doesn't cover the content, it only covers the currency. A player paid for 1000 vRP and got them? That's it, everything's clear, the law has nothing to say about how the player spends them in the game and what they get in return.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Because it would be against the Steam Wallet rules to advertise external stores which circumvent the 30% cut for Steam.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Now that is indeed an interesting answer. Didn't know that. And suddenly that makes really sense to not have a link to the vrp site anywhere.
    Thanks for the heads up.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    There is a direct link in the shop, though. Click on the hardware icon at the top under VIP drivers and it takes you there. I think it´s like that because the link page does not use steam id credentials so you buy vRP outside the Steam environment and you only need to log in with steam to redeem the vRP code in the shop.

Regarding comms, since 2018, it is apparently a sliding scale depending on how much revenue the game generates. Seems to make it harder for new publishers and favour the big ones like EA and Ubisoft.

"Normally, Valve takes around 30 percent of all game sales on Steam, with some exceptions for games from smaller developers in its Steam Direct program. That will remain the case for the first $10 million in sales a game maker or publisher earns. For all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25 percent. And for every sale after the initial $50 million, Steam will take just a 20 percent cut."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  11. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    That is not a direct link. It only links to Racerooms's shop (as the word hardware suggests), not directly to the vrp page. I can't really count that, especially as you don't expect to buy a virtual currency under "hardware".

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Johhny Depp´s legal team would probably eat that defence for breakfast if they could make the link between the companies behind the two stores.

Epic Games only charge 12% and waive the fee on UE use so I wonder why more games like ACC and Ignition are not on there. Seems like just the F1 and WRC games.

13. Nash Bobo

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Wow! It seems a lot easier to just launder the money through the mafia.

Which currency now gives you the most vRP?

"Nash"

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Now if you are in the US, since the dollar is strong you could actually be better off buying vRP and paying in Euros or GBP. It depends on the commission Paypal or your credit card company charge.

It used to be that paying in Argentine pesos was cheaper when buying Steam DLC but now there is no Steam DLC or regional pricing.

15. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Prices for 10k vRP in the store: 52 GBP, or 65 USD, or 65 Euro.

52 GBP is 64 US dollars, so that's the cheapest option for americans, if you exclude commissions.

16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Steam Wallet. Easiest and most comfortable solution.
    vRP I tried in the first year I discovered RR, and that is long time ago, and it worked no reliable and erratic and prices for same content were sometimes calculated differently, with vRP being slightly more expensive for no apparent reason, saw that two or three times. So, my history with vRP was a bad one, but as I said, that is many years ago, it was 2015 I think. Burnt child fears the fire.
    I dont care vor vRP anymore, buy only tracks anyway. The few cents more or less I cannot care less for.
    I neve rudnerstood the need toi have to access modes to shopping. Its confusing for newcomers. It confused me int he beginning, too. Needless complication.

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    With the volume discount you get up to 18% anyway so the difference really isn´t much if you are spending 50 euros or indeed 10.
    It´s weird the prices of the more expensive packs don´t directly show this discount - for instance it is impossible to pay 100 euros for the Premium or 50 for the Pro so why even list these prices unless you want to divert people to vRP?

Some stores like Morrisons in the UK sometimes offer coupons or cashback on top up cards so it sometimes even works out cheaper to buy Steam gift cards in these places.

18. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i use steam, i bought the premium years ago with vrp but now i can't be bothered to go through the faff of getting vrp for single items i might want

19. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    All about that VRP from the Raceroom store for sure

20. Gerdoner

Gerdoner New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here