What steering wheel/s are you using right now for sim racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jun 16, 2019.

?

What steering wheel/s are you using right now for sim racing.

Poll closed Jun 26, 2019.
  1. Thrustmaster (any model)

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Logitech (any model)

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Direct Drive (OSW any model)

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Fanatec (podium direct drive)

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Fanatec (belt driven)

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Game pad/ Controller (any model)

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Accuforce

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Leo Bodnar

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Simucube

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Me too, I'm not that bothered about competitiveness, as long as it feels great and I'm having fun. To be honest if I'd known how smooth the T300 feels in comparison to the G-series, I would have gotten one much earlier. Getting rid of that terrible rattling noise was worth the price alone! :p

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I just want an easier way to find consistency. Tracks like Macau are a nightmare on the GC controler. My old Momo black always felt weird in counter steering so ideally i want to avoid gearing.

I like the idea of TMX or t150 brand new. But seeing about 3-5 T300RS GT's popup in my used local ads for $300-$400 in the past month is tempting.

3. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    There's no Bodnar in the list. :p

What would be an interessting poll too is what steering wheel would you use if money wouldn't matter. I wonder how much the bars would differ from the results of this poll.

4. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    If i were you i'd go for a T300 instead, it's much superior to the 150 and also to the T500 (faster and smoother, it has a brushless motor)

5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Who in their right mind would choose anything but a dd in that case? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    TM TX300 with a couple rims, F1, which I hated at first but now use far too much and a Ferrari 599 that I managed to crumple into several pieces, getting far too excited in a race one evening, disintegrated into 7 individual parts which I've have now glued back together but not risked driving with again yet. :rolleyes: TM shifter, Fanatec V3's, which are great.
    Would highly recommend the TX300, feels the same today as when I purchased it a couple or so years ago, sooo much better than the Logitech G27 I used before and is now collecting dust somewhere or other. I'm sure the leap to DD will come (if I don't drop down dead before that is) but shall be waiting until many more people have made the jump, letting prices go down and the longevity and running costs are known.

7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Since I changed from my old G27 to the CSL Elite Wheel (xbox/pc) plus CSP V3 Pedals a whole new world of simracing opend for me :).
    While before I just got a hunch that "something" changed when working on my setup I now feel every detail responding to some tweaking not to mention the precise feedback I get through that wheel. Only the P1 Standard Rim doesn't like daily hardcore usage cause I had some issues in terms of QA - the weakest part of the combo.Nevermind I'll get something better anyway...

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I have just today bought a ts300 new at a good price to upgrade from my g27 based on your original review in the g27 Vs ts300 thread... I had said I would stick with my g27 until DD became mainstream but the likelihood of me being able to drop that kind of money on a wheel anytime soon is slim. However I now need a way of swapping rims so the ts300 looks a good shout, I hope I will notice an improvement. I will use my current custom wired usb wheel with it and will eventually make a GT3/formula type wheel too.

9. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I assumed that Bodnar belongs to OSW category but anyway, here it is...added

10. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Nope, the Bodnar is a pre build system with its own proprietary driver and software. There's nothing open with this system. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    The difference is like chalk and cheese, first thing you will notice is the silence, all that clanking and banging becomes a thing of the past. My neighbours bought me round a bottle of wine to thank me for upgrading to a quieter wheel base. So upgrading to a T300 even assists in world peace! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    There are always some guys that says they don't need a direct drive wheel. I read that here in forum a couple of times, even a well known sector3 developer have said so. Tastes are different. :D

And then there's the question which direct drive wheelbase it should be. There are plenty of competitors on the market and it would be very interesting for me to know what systems would be chosen and why. :)

13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Strange guys ;)
    For me itd be the one thats least complicated to set up whichever one that might be :D

14. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    A DD wheel is not only a question of money. If i should buy a DD wheel, i also need to buy a new rig. My current Playseat rig can't handle the force and weight of a DD wheel. Problem is my current playseat is in my living room and it's very easy to (re)move it if needed, but a heavier and sturdier rig would be more difficult to (re)move it needed and it would take a lot more space i don't have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Right now that would be a Bodnar I guess. It's pretty much plug and play. Only a handful of slider adjustments in the driver just once and that's it. Maybe it's similar with the Fanatec Podium series, I don't know, haven't tried one yet. :)

I totally agree with you. Things like this were the reason why I asked the question which wheel would be picked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    @Ablaze although now that its been brought up i obviously didnt think about stuff like a stronger rig. My current rig probably wont do more than my g29 :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I find it quite interesting that combined there are 13 DD wheels and only 11 Logitech ones, not so niche now are they, becoming quite popular ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I think there are people here who don't know how the world of OSW and DD systems work

Leo Bodnar is the same as an OSW, only they work with closed software and other drivers that are more expensive than an OSW, the complete world of DD wheels are based on Granite Diveces and Simucub Software

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    15000 members and only 50 ish replies, hardly representative. Plus no one ever owned a DD without telling everyone at every opportunity......

20. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    It's all relative though to the number of replies received so far.

Although you are right on the second part.