What (time) gain with new sim hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Don Rudi, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Tom,
    the reason is simple, I am not at home till sunday, all I have here is the box with the pedals ;)
    (and I am becoming crazy already hehe)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    What a beauty. Congrats !!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jazz :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I just bought 2 CSR wheels and a set of CSR Elite pedals, dirt cheap, couldnt say no (ebay), going from my trusty G25 to the CSR wheel, night and day difference, just better, everything about it, faster, hell no, im not slow but far from being one of the fast guys, probably a second slower right now using this wheel, but, it feels better, a much more enjoyable experience overall, gonna sell this lot and get a v1 or v2 elite wheel, totally convinced after using the CSR wheel for a couple of days.

The CSR Elite pedals.
    I had done a diy brake mod and switched the clutch and throttle pedals for stronger throttle spring on the G25 so they felt much better than default, after spending an hour using the CSR pedals, they feel better, would i say im faster using them, probably 10ths, so yes and that will only improve as i adjust to them, and again with these, i swapped the clutch and throttle spring for a better feel to the throttle.

My answer to the original question, a categorical yes without a shadow of a doubt, how much? I guess that would depend on your own skilll level and the way you have your equipment setup.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Has others have mentioned, the pedals are the one thing (if only one can be upgraded) to change. Load cell FTW :)
    wrt to a better wheel, you'll notice more from the car but faster drivers are faster even without FFB but when it comes to pedals, nothing beats pressure instead of distance in that brake pedal.

The longer travel range is a major plus too as it improves the smoothness of the inputs.
    That being said, it doesn't mean you'll gain 2s right away, especially because you have to adapt on the strength you have to apply. Think of it as getting accustomed to a clutch on another car other than yours when you try to find the biting point :) but in the end, it'll work out for better lap times because you're more precise.

wrt to wheels well... better wheels, better immersion and this is what sims are all about. trying to makes us feel like real pro's :)

I stil lhave my dfgt but damn if that thing isn't slow against my cswv2. It does make a difference but to be faster, the pedals it's where it's at if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, this mirrors my recent experiences exactly. Using the CSP v3 pedals for 2 weeks now, I am not neccessarily faster, but far more consistent. It simply feels good now and that results in very constant lap times.
    Time improvements were minimal, but to take Spa as an example, my driving got "safer". Bus Stop chicane used to be my arch enemy - either I braked to hard, flipping the tail around, or too little going straight. Now I have a feel for the right dose of braking, resulting in a later brake point, more overtakings and slightly improved lap times.
    Next investment will be a bigger screen, 24" is enough for flying, but not for high speed racing :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Consistency being the main word here. Eventually resulting in faster lap times once you get completely used to them. Glad to hear you like the V3's.
    I do too, but recently I've been getting a little itch, after having tried Heusinkveld Pro pedals. They do cost twice as much as the V3's though....

http://www.h-engineering.net/shop/sim-pedals-pro/

But I drive H-shifter equipped cars a lot and though the V3 clutch is not bad at all, the Heusinkveld Pro's beat that feeling by a mile...
    And then I see these Ultimates....:oops::rolleyes::cool:

http://www.h-engineering.net/shop/sim-pedals-ultimate/

:)