Question What USB HID PID FFB effects does R3E use?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by ElSnowman, Mar 24, 2022.

1. ElSnowman

ElSnowman New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm making a FFB wheel and I'm programming the USB functionality right now. I'm aware 99.9% of racing simulators use the Constant Force effect but I'm wondering what additional effects R3E uses. I've heard iRacing uses both Constant Force and Spring while with many simulators you can get away with just using Constant Force.

Figured since Sector 3 is so involved with the community, and since this is my favorite sim, I should ask here. It is also near impossible to find information regarding this anywhere on the internet. I guess the FFB wheel world is still so new that there isn't comprehensive information available outside of the companies making these wheels

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Spring isnt used at all. Damper is used but only at very low speeds to simulate static friction.

3. ElSnowman

ElSnowman New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the answer. Looks like I'll be implementing Constant Force and Damper for now.

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    What is your wheel using as a controller box usb wise

Andi

5. ElSnowman

ElSnowman New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm programming everything myself on an MCU including USB reports and all that. Right now I have my device showing up as an HID game pad for the sequential shifter functionality. Still in the prototyping and planning stage. Just curious about what FFB effects are being sent by the sim to FFB wheels. I'm reading through the USB PID documentation (https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/documents/pid1_01.pdf) to soon implement FFB functionality so I'm just curious about the effects I should actually implement for my motor. In addition to the effects I'm curious if these effects have an envelope associated with them that I should process. I may just ignore any envelopes though if they do exist and see what happens.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question. All of it is going to be custom made so I'm not really using any existing product or existing code.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022