Wheel advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andy81, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Andy81

Andy81 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    i know that question probably get's asked a lot but still i would like to ask for your advice. :)

Some years ago i played a lot of LFS which was my first racing game. I had a Momo Force (the red one) and a Sidewinder FFB wheel back then. I didn't really like S2 of LFS and the Momo broke so i stopped playing until i recently discovered Raceroom.

Well, i'm hooked again but have been playing with the sidewinder wheel which just doesn't really cut it anymore. It sometimes bugs out mid drive and loses almost all ffb or keeps twitching to one side every second which is really annoying.

Since the sidewinder wheel is old and buggy and i really enjoy Raceroom, i'm looking for a new wheel. I've already read some reviews and watched youtube videos about different wheels and here's what i figured:

Logitech G27 would be nice with the shifter and the clutch pedal but i'm afraid of the noise problems i read about. While i probably wouldn't mind that much since i'm mostly playing with headphones, i don't wanna bother my girlfriend with the rattle noise. So i looked at the Thrustmaster T150, which seems to be a good wheel for the price. While clutch pedal and shifter would be nice to have, they are not mandatory and i saw i could upgrade pedals and add stuff later. Only thing is, there seem to be different editions of the wheel like T150 and T150 RS or is that the seem wheel and just labeled different by the shop?

Is the T150 supported by raceroom or do i have to figure out my own settings and would you suggest it with a budget of about 200€?

Thanks for your advice and opinions guys!

Andy

2. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    The RS wheels are Playstation 4 compatible. I had the T150RS and later T300RS both working fine in Raceroom (though I am disappointed by the quality, as I had 3 dead T300RS in 1.5 years).

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dirk Bachmann

Dirk Bachmann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Updated my DFGT to an G29 and i´m very pleased with it.
    Buyed a Logitech cause of the durability, no Heat issues etc.
    The G29 is much quieter than the DFGT, but this wasn´t relevant for me.

4. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I have a t150 and it works well with raceroom. I played on g27 few year ago so I don't have direct comparison. It think Logitech will give you more strength but t150 will give you more detail will be more smooth and silent. The pedals on t150 aren't great though. I switched them with t3pa pro (I like the inverted gt style position). You might look for t150 version with t3pa 3 pedal set they are better then the stock ones and have a rubber brake mod.

5. Andy81

Andy81 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I picked up a T150 at a store and so far i'm pretty happy. Takes some time getting used to the much higher wheel range coming from the Sidewinder wheel though. :D Seeing where i'm coming from i'm totally ok with the pedals.

Only thing i really don't like that mich is the wheel is quite thin and i've got pretty big hands, could be way thicker for my personal preference. I've not fully decided if i'll keep or return it but i feel like it's a good entry level wheel for the amount of money i wanted to spend.

Thanks for your opinions!

6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    It looks like my old DFGT is slowly dying, so I'm looking more and more at the upgrade options and I'm in need of some advice.

I read/watched endless amounts of reviews and discussions about this topic and my conclusions are:
    - the majority of people wouldn't recommend the G29/G920 anymore, because it uses relatively old technology by today's standards
    - the best price/value wheel is probably the T300 atm, which has a clear advantage over the G29 at a similar price, especially in terms of FFB - my only concern here is the frequent quality/durability complaints
    - but if you have even ~650€ to burn, there's the CSL Elite and people who switched from the T300 are saying it is a clear step forward again

I know there are even newer and more expensive alternatives too, but I drew the line here. :D So which one would you recommend? I'm particulary interested in the insight of those who tried at least two of them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Don't bother with the Logitech, still have my G27 gathering dust (couldn't sell it so may convert for TT) Have a TX300 at the moment, great wheel and had no issues at all but if you have the swandooleys for a CSL, it's a no brainer!

• Like Like x 1
  8. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about the CSL, but I'm very happy with the T300 that I own. It's my first wheel but I've had an opportunity to try a G27 (which is not that different from the G29, from what I hear) and the T300 is a clear step above when it comes to FBB.

Just like you I had reservations about the reliability so I bought it in a local store with a 2 year warranty, for some peace of mind. I have the version with the alcantara rim, which I love, and so far (had it for about 19 months now) it's been working flawlessly, after almost 600 hours with it.

If/when my T300 brakes I'll consider spending a bit more for something even better next time (maybe even a DD wheel, if I can find a good deal), but for now I'm not in a hurry for an upgrade. The T300 feels awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I switched from T300GTE (with599xx) to a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 with the LC pedal set. I'm glad that I made that choice. I was satisfied with my T300 but sinceI can compare the Fanatec is a higher league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    An another T300 here, 18 months old now, still works like a charm! I was concern with the reliability reports so I always take the time to leave it cooling down after I played before switching it off. Very happy about it.

The only downside are the stock pedals: they do the job… but that's it! Better pedals will probably be my next investment (looking at CLS Elite LC). There are now T300 sets with better pedals: worth checking.

Fanatec CSL seems highly praised too. So in any case, you're not doing a mistake! :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Another notch up in price, club sport wheel v2, superceded by csw 2.5 by fanatec, and csl elite pedals. I had a set of g25 Logitech for quite some time. This combo works pretty good. I replaced the wheel with one from simexperience, but I switched back to the csw v2 again, I'm happy. Op will not need this, it's just a reference point down the road for someone else

• Like Like x 1