When am I driving with on line players?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M. Gordon, Jan 24, 2016.

1. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Since I'm new, I have spent all my time in amateur level on the practice track mode. When I'm driving I see other cars on the track that have user names associated with the cars. Are these really other on line drivers or AI drivers? The reason I ask is I don't want to mess up their practice lap times while I am sliding all over the place. I started with Novice level, but I can't see how to disable the auto brake feature. That feature makes it too easy to get around the track and seems to slow me down. I'm also trying to figure out if there are on line races where I can practice with auto transmission without the brake assist, or do i need to better master the shifting before I can compete in on line races. Thanks.

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    When you're driving on the online / multi player mode you'll only see real Players on the track. There's no IA in MP, at all.
    (maybe one day in the future, but not at this time)

3. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ok, but I think I select single mode and go to practice, so are those live on line racers practicing with me or AI cars with random user names assigned?

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    all single player modes are AI cars

Andi

5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp, and the names you see on the cars are assigned to each livery... you can see those names in the car-selection-screen as well...

6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    If your wondering about auto break in novice. You cannot disable it but it does not need to slow you down much if you break yourself before it "catches" you. The way auto break works is if someone misses thebreak point it will break for them and slow them down substantially. The trick is to break early and focus on the corner exit as this is essentially what it is teaching you to do.

7. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I will try that method to see if I brake early enough it will let me glide through the turn at a higher speed.

8. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Hey,
    Are you using a wheel/pedals? If so, take some time to get the settings right. This is as important as car set up. No point in having a throttle and brake that act like on/off switches. Plenty advice on here about setting things up or if your not sure just ask. Be warned though, you only get good by putting in laps. And more laps. And then some more laps. There is no substitute for experience. Unless of course you are just naturally talented like me. :rolleyes:

9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    oh and for a race line go on the leaderboards and challenge someone quick. manual will always be faster than auto as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its always a good idea to practice a new track and car in offline mode first. Once you got used to it - then go online.

The strength of AI cars in practice sessions (both race or trackday events), is set by the AI slider for races. Start with 90, then work your way upward as needed.

11. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Don't be afraid to get stuck-in online. Be sensible and try not to make a mess of other players' races, but remember that we were all new to this at some point or other. Accidents happen, people make mistakes, and there's always a big variation in player pace. Just give it a try - you'll learn a lot faster when you have to really concentrate

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I agree with belowski. You will learn faster when you go online. You will find others that have a similar pace to your own. Use single player to learn tracks and to get comfortable with a particular car. But after that, go online and your confidence and speed will rise quickly(along with your addiction).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    yep, don`t be affraid of online but it is good to have few races offline with AI just to get used to other cars on track, to learn how your braking points changes when there is pile of cars ahead of you, how be overtaken when somebody has inside line and not causing colision, you can also set AI low and practice overtaking and going 2-3 cars wide, while hotlapping try different lines (take corner from inside line instead outside) ... than jump to online,don`t rush into first corner, if you run out of track, don`t just blindly join, look at minimap or use look to side/behind to see if it is safe to rejoin, if you spin on corner exit - try to stay on the inside line as on outside will be cars running from corner and don`t feel bad about unintentional colisions, try to learn from them :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, and if you're not sure if a pass will work, wait for a better chance

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    yep .. usually if you are half of a car along with other car on straight before corner, the corner is yours .. but on public servers there is a big chance that he has no clue you are there and he will turn into you .. also if you are in a front of somebody, before entering braking point choose your line and don`t change it (whether it is normal line or defending one, you can`t just sweep left - right to not let somebody pass)

16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    And if you do hit someone, type sorry and whait to let the one you spun pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Be patient, if your faster have respect, if your slower have respect, no need to be a keyboard warrior because someone hit you whether intentional or not, a little humility goes a long way, apolgise if needed but dont go off on one if you dont get one your way.
    Most of all just enjoy it, online against real people over the Ai is a whole new ball game for all the right reasons, i find it hard to race offline in any game against the Ai, it just dosnt have the personality a real person does.

18. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    This. Even if you don't type out sorry, if you at least wait until the other person gets going, effectively giving the position back to them, it goes so far in letting that person know that what happened was not intentional and you are sorry for it. If someone does this for me I instantly go from being angry to understanding because things happen all the time in racing. At the same time, if someone accidentally hits you, don't insta-rage and type out a long message while they're waiting for you to get back on track. Either leave right away or stick around and have a good race because you still can. Nothing stings quite as much as making an honest mistake, waiting for the other person to give the position back only to have them type "STUPID NOOBS" or something similar in chat then rage quit while you lost all those positions trying to be nice.

Basically, be nice, do nice things lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Waiting for someone is all polite and gentleman like and may even be expected in some leagues but if your racing against decent people they know that shit happens and if its a genuine "racing incident" then its to be expected its what happens in racing. For me in general a sorry should be enough and move on, i wouldnt expect someone to slow down for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to you all for the info. My DFGT wheel should be delivered tomorrow, so I will probably stay off-line practicing for a while until I feel like I have a decent degree of control.

• Like Like x 2