When NASCAR had balls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GregoryLeo, Apr 22, 2020.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I have been SOOO board with watching FIA and other racing series, (before the pandemic) that I started looking for other entertainment in racing. So much money is currently involved between insurers and owners, that now a days drivers aren't able to race anymore because the cars cost a million fucken dollars.
    I was watching a GT1/super cars race the other day, and it was plain booooring, because NOBODY took any chances. They finished in basically the same order they started in. Because unless somebody made a mistake, no one wanted to risk damaging a car that has $5000 brakes.
    Ok so GT4 and WTCR are pretty competitive and sort of interesting. And iSport racing can be interesting because drivers are willing to take more chances.
    Anyway I started watching reruns of really old races. And it's quite fun. So, here's a race from 1951. I think it was 106 cars on a one mile track!:eek:. The leaders were literally overtaking the back markers on lap two! The first 10mins are the interviews and, well, it's kinda meh. But the rest really shows how dangerous and exciting the "'poor mans" racing was.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    There's plenty of grass-roots racing going on.
    (Well, not right now because of the whole pandemic situation, but...)
    The problem is finding media coverage of the events.
    Fortunately, YouTube has helped immensely in that regard. Formula Ford, MX-5s, Clio Cup etc. etc.
    They're all there, and they're all very competitive.
    Try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8lvaSxDVWB5sLu-ovw1Ig

That's just one of the British outlets. Pretty sure there'll be other national channels available with a bit of searching.

• Like Like x 3
  3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    just watch super trucks

• Like Like x 1
  4. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Like that Link to brscc. My source is gpreplay.com fit the more international series, but mostly more fun to watch are amateur series.

• Like Like x 1
  5. the_greeze

the_greeze Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If you want action and contact try Aussie Supercars, pretty much any Touring Car class and GT3 (once 'normal' life resumes). :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Tcr yes. GT3... Gt4 offers more action.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    What a mess at the end! :D You can find a lot of wonderful racing videos about the golden era of stock car racing on Youtube.

Here is one of my favorites:

Sometimes I wish we would live in these times ...

PS: Daytona will be the first R3E track with a full oval layout (take a look into the track folder), so I think we can expect some more surprises by Sector3 ... maybe some pure oval cars ... "SCR - Stock Car Raceroom"? Who knows?

• Like Like x 1