Where did the clutch go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haik, Jun 3, 2015.

1. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping the the new transmission model were to fox the issue with how the game handled the clutch.
    Well...it somehow made it worst.

Remember how the damage was bug'd, and you would totaled your transmission after 2 laps if you missed even the slightest heel & toe?
    Those were actually the good days.

Now, the clutch pedal is actually useless.
    You can upshift without lifting the throttle, no clutch, the car won't bat an eye.
    You can downshift without the clutch, no issue.
    You can downshift from 5 to 2, without even a blip (again , no clutch)...yep, nothing to see here, it's okay.

Do this for 3 laps straight...still no issue.

Basically, it is as if we always have auto-clutch on.

To be clear, I tested that with auto-clutch off, h-shifter enabled, mechanical damages enabled.
    With the Zackspeed Gr5, the Volvo from the Touring Class, and the 'Stang from the DTM '92.

I somehow fail then to see how the update was improvement on that part.

To me who only play R3E with those kind of cars, and only heel & toe...it actually makes the game barely enjoyable now :(

Later edit:
    Just to be fair to the game and the devs:
    My issue is only with how the clutch works. The rest of the transmission model is actually great.
    Ride in one of those pesky modern cars like a GT3 - every gear change does feel amazing ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
  3. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    If this is true, its truly depressing. I was really looking forward to the updated version. The mention to have change where the Clutch bites ect .. :coldsweat::sweat::disrelieved:

4. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Just to be fair to the game and the devs:
    My issue is only with how the clutch works. The rest of the transmission model is actually great.
    Ride in one of those pesky modern cars like a GT3 - every gear change does feel amazing ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    There is no clutch option anymore? huh?

6. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    The clutch itself now works perfectly imo. But I agree it should be easier to break the gearbox with H-shifter and manual clutch, which has now gone from waaay too easy to virtually impossible.

I have played with the gearbox, shifted from 6th to reverse and all kinds of idiotic things which would make a real gearbox literally explode. I even ran a whole race without clutching. But it doesn't break. So I agree this isn't quite right. It's much better than before, when it was impossible NOT to break the gearbox, but it still needs some work. I haven't tried the sequential with manual clutch, so I can't say anything about that.

This is all a matter of compromise, I think. In a real car, you wouldn't physically be able to shift directly from 5th to 2nd, back to 5th and straight into reverse while doing 100 mph, without effort and without clutching or rev matching. So doing things that would obviously destroy the gearbox is mechanically limited by the gearbox itself. With a USB shifter you won't have these mechanical limitations, and you have to make a compromise of how much room there is for errors. You will need to have more room for error in a sim than in real life.

I personally like the solution where an incorrect shift results in "gear crunching noise", a little damage added to the gearbox, and the car staying in neutral. This can of course be very annoying if it's done with too strict policies of when it happens, and if the gearbox takes too much damage from mistakes - it all has to be well balanced. And as mentioned, you need to have a little "slack", but shifting directly from 5th to 2nd without clutching or rev matching, and without damaging the gearbox, shouldn't be possible. Managing the clutch and shifting is part of the challenge, so I don't mind it being a bit difficult. You could always switch to auto-clutch, sequential (or even auto transmission) to ease up on the difficulty.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried it in multiplayer?
    I was able to blow my gearbox before the first lap was finished in the DTM 92 Audi earlier today.. :oops:(back to auto clutch I guess)

But one thing I was thinking about, wouldn't a to rapid downshift result in the rear tires locking up?
    Especially yanking into first gear too fast?

8. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    No, I was fooling around in SP... So there's probably a difference there.

A too rapid downshift will lock up the back wheels, and I think it does this? On the 4WD Audi it will take some heavy effort to get the wheels to lock up, though.

9. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Made some testing with the DTM 92 Mustang and it actually does, but it's far more unsensitive with auto clutch enabled.
    With manual clutch I was able to lock up the rear tires even with a fast sequential shifting, this I couldn't do with auto clutch..

I think I will have to start racing with mechanical damage off, I'm missing out on all the cool physics with the auto clutch on!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Turn off auto clutch and then try to get out of a sand trap. Was a big eye opener when I went to a three pedal set up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Been there, done that. ;)

12. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    We need a force feedback shifter. To feel like you do in your car when you miss a gear. The noise and vibration would be epic :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    With a h pattern and clutch before the patch I never damaged the box. Same after patch. The only time I ever damaged the box before was with sequential shifting without the clutch. Same after patch.

What I'd like to see is a guide on how to clutch properly for the sequential gearboxes so we can mimic what the drivers do in each class of car. I will presume you need to clutch on downshifts while you don't need to on upshifts due to the dog box.

14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no you don't necessarily need to clutch for down shifting ether depending on car the left foot breaking is surprisingly common. with a dtm 92 car you do but in a dtm 14 car I'm sure some drivers left foot break.

15. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I'm getting the terms mixed up, I mean when accelerating you need to clutch and when braking you don't

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    I've dreamed about this before. And a FFB clutch working together.