Which 3 aspects would you most like to see improved in RRE (May 2020)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vale, May 26, 2020.

?

Which 3 aspects would you most like to see improved in RRE?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2020.
  1. User Interface (in game menus and in game alerts e.g pit menu, HUD, warnings)

40.8%
  2. Graphics (cars and tracks)

39.8%
  3. AI (how computer controlled cars behave)

29.6%
  4. Control device compatibility and Force Feedback (how well the game works with my input device)

15.3%
  5. Game content (cars and tracks)

33.7%
  6. Multiplayer online mode (dedicated server management, rating system, ranked servers)

38.8%
  7. Competitions / Esport

7.1%
  8. Physics (car handling)

16.3%
  9. Virtual Reality compatibility

11.2%
  10. Other (please make a post commenting in more detail)

17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Which 3 aspects would you most like to see improved in RRE (May 2020)?

I used all the slots for choices so please vote other if one of your main issues is not in the main list and give an explanation in the comments. Things like game economy, pricing model etc etc have been voluntarily omitted to proritise others that are to do with actual game development.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    UI - all inrace complaints mainly the clumsy pitstop menu, lack of HUD skin customisation, annoying race countdown and deficiencies compared with third party HUDS.
    Control device - done to death already, issues with digital control and throttle control.
    Multiplayer - penalty points systems still needs refining but the whole dedicated server system could do with an overhaul. It seem much to complicated to set up. Other games allow you to just create a room and not need a dedicated server.

3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I went with interface, AI, and 'other'.

The HUD is almost there. The resizeable/repositionable elements are great but there's more that could be done. There's still a couple of garish info-banners that can't be removed, and I'd like the HUD elements sizes/positions (including mirror) to be saved per individual car if possible.

The AI has been ramming me under heavy braking (which is annoying) and they are sometimes dangerously slow through some corners - but generally they are fast and fair.

The 'other' part would be the weird 'features' of RaceRoom e.g. no cool-down lap, championships are deleted when finished, no option to restart a session after race finish etc.

Also welcome would be access to useful timing & telemetry info - e.g. after a race I'd like to examine my lap/sector times etc. I know there are 3rd party apps out there but I'd prefer something integrated.

I have no real complaints with GFX, especially considering the artists are limited to DX9. I'd like to see more pronounced textures on the glass (dust etc) because at 'Noon' setting it feels like you're driving with no windscreen or windows. It's a bit better at 'morning'/'afternoon' but still too little. And lastly the lack of a HDR option means the interiors are usually as brightly lit as the outdoors so the whole scene looks a bit flat. But beyond that the cars and tracks all look great.

The sound, too, is right up there. A few cars sound a touch 'synthetic' and warble a bit (looking at you '95 C-Klasse) but it's clear S3 know what they're doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jota Ele

Jota Ele Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I would like to can delete individually the best personal times by car / track to update them according to physics and see the partials on the same statistics page, also see laptimes on replays

• Like Like x 2
  5. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    VR, AI and 'other'.

After having run PC2 and AMS2 in VR, I'm starting to see the attraction. Would be nice if R3E could get the same graphical fidelity.
    But seeing that would require some major rewriting of the GFX-engine, I'm not holding my breath here.
    Not particularly high on my wishlist either, it would simply be nice to have the option.

AI is already very, very good. Always room for improvement though.

'Other' covers a lot of things, most of them to do with endurance racing.
    Day/night cycles, driver-swaps with AI, rudimentary weather, that sort of thing.
    But again we're talking an enormous project, so I don't expect to actually see it unless/until there's a complete engine swap.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I forgot those reasons for UI too. There is really a lot that can be worked on there and even we can´t see our lap times once a race ends unless we are an early finisher and press escape before the last car finishes or the time runs out.

I still campaign to have HUD skins as presets so we can use any HUD skin we want with any car as some of them are less informative e.g no split times, damage indicator, tyre wear etc.

7. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For me, in order of preference:
    - Day/Night cycle
    - Driver swaps (combined with day/night cycle it might create good environment for endurance races)
    - Ranking improvements, iRacing style
    - UI - ideally just include otterhud in the base game so it doesn't have to be done through extra overlay + better, more detailed race stats

8. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that I really want to see improved is the ai. And especially as it was so damn good about a year ago and then it has gotten so much worse that I more or less stopped racing against the ai. I wish there was a way to just put back the ai code from a year ago.

What I posted about 1 1/2 month back still applies:

In my opinion the ai has more or less gotten worse with every update. It was perfect before the big update in july 2019 but after that the quality of the ai is much worse now, It still has major problems at Imola with the GT3 cars. They run wide at Rivazza but even if they run off at high speed into the gravel they somehow miraculously get back on track. One strange thing is that after you passed them they tend to get farther and farther behind even if the ai strength is set to a level where it´s hard to keep up with the cars in front. So in the races I have done after the latest update I tend to end up being alone not catching up with the cars in front and leaving the ones behind farther away. A year ago I had amazing races where the ai kept fighting and if you passed them they would come back a couple of corners later and fight back while still being able to catch up and fight the cars in front. I find them very inconsistent. In some corners you leave them far behind in an instant and then into some corners they come flying in like Maldonado on steroids. And the awareness is worse now again which means I get rammed every now and then into corners. From having stellar ai a year ago where I did race after race enjoying every second I tend to quit after a while with a rather boring experience racing against the ai. Hope the ai can get back on track so to speak.

9. jasper van der vaart

jasper van der vaart Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Driver swaps will be a game changer, even without day/night cycles, it is just way more fun to be able to run, for example, 6 hour long races with mates. More online/server options will also be very nice to see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Just selected AI and content. Some gt4 Cars would bei fine and a few famous tracks like le mans, Sebring, Glen, Brand..... Don't know what else is important for me. I like the game.

11. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    DX9 -> DX11

12. tobiaspitzer

tobiaspitzer Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    The graphics are at the top of my list. Not only the update from DX9 to DX11, but also the fix of constant FPS lags in single- and multiplayer. For many players, including me, with different hardware configurations and graphics settings, these are sometimes so extreme that it is hardly possible to drive properly.

13. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I edited my choices and added graphics as well. But with that being said I must give a lot of credit to those who work on the graphics with this game. As many others I would like to see this game with all the bells and whistles of DX11 but at the same time I think they have done an amazing job with this old engine. To get good graphics a move to another engine just miracly doesn't mean that the grapchics will be fantastic. A graphics engine is just a platform that you have to master to get the most out of. A lot have to do with how you implement that engine and how you make good textures, And in this regard I think Raceroom is fantastic. I'm a bit of a graphics nerd and I run most of my games in 4K and tweak the graphics with Reshade. But I think Raceroom really has some amazing textures that make this game look fantastic even with an old engine. As a counterpart look at AMS - which is a great game by the way- but it really has subpar graphics mostly due to quite plain textures. Everything is so blocky and buildnings and grass etc looks so plain. The best looking sim in my opinion is ACC but you have to run it in high resolution to make it look good. Most other games look too cartoonish with too much saturated textures. The palette of Raceroom is really good and I could only imagine how good it would look with proper lightning and updated shaders. Keep up the good work. But with that beeing said I don't personally think that the graphics of Raceroom is the most critical thing as i don't think about it while I'm racing which I do when I'm for example play AMS. I still think the work on the ai is more important at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    FFB
    FFB
    FFB

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DrKarotte

DrKarotte Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Other, the "typical" things like day/night and weather, of course, but also, as partly mentioned already, some smaller details which could enhance immersion, like manual cool-down lap, remove spectators for private practice sessions.

Improvement on custom championship. I'd like to separate this into "championship creation" and "play". For creation you set the cars, tracks and rules and save the whole. Then you can play your championship as often as you want and just pick one of the available cars. Completed seasons could be still available to check the results, and we could have some statistics like best result, per car. Option to create new championship on the basis of an existing one.

AI: I like the adaption and the way the AI race each other and often feel human, much more than in other sims, but there are a couple of issues with crashs at the same place in almost every race (mostly already reported).

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I didn´t expect so many votes for gaeme content. Those who voted, is it because you own all content and want more or due to quality issues with current content?

Also, Esports/competitions gets little love - is that because you don´t care much for it or because it is perfect as is?

17. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    For me, content was 4th on my list - for example, we have a superb new Porsche GTE but it has no competitors, we have a great selection of GT3s from the last 15 years but there's no way to recreate a modern series without some key entries missing, we have a P1, P2, GT1 and GT2 classes where all the cars are now eligible for historic racing IRL - everything there feels a bit random and a bit dated. As someone with no interest in one-make classes or single-seaters, there hasn't been a huge amount to get excited about recently.

I also have a real dislike of how few 'team cars' there are in certain classes and the mix and match of various numberplates from different series and different liveries (ACC looks so much better in screens with all cars having the same window banners and numberplates). However, it only made 4th on my list because the track selection is consistently superb and very varied, introducing me to new locations around the world.

Regarding eSports, I couldn't care less. I get an hour or two to race tops when my son goes to bed, but I need to be able to pause, quit and race in my own time - Raceroom has probably the best AI out there especially for multi-class racing, and I'd rather see it improved in this aspect, and lots of different rules possibilities for curating my own classes and racing (AI selector is godlike). I've had so few positive experiences with multiplayer compared to the negative ones I wouldn't care if it was cut from all driving games completely, personally. I realise this isn't the case for everyone, but seeing as you asked, that's my reasoning!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Graphics and some of it is just the color palette which has a blue-ish tint to it.

I love the new physics but the ffb is too smoothed out for me personally.

19. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I can only comment as a viewer of R3E's eSports but what I've watched looks promising. The main problem (as a viewer) is the confusion brought on by duplicate cars, and cars carrying names/numbers that bear no relation to the players actually competing. The commentators do their best but it's hardly ideal.

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Shoot, I should have added third part content as an option! I guess that´s not the game business model, though.

We have plenty of GT3s the problem is the BOP is not good for the older ones so no one use them.

I think there could also be more done to hep online server creators add multiple classes to rooms via PI recommendations. You have to be a bit of an expert to know that some classes can race together competitively. I wonder if the GTE would race with the GTr2s for instance?