Which Racinggame brought you to Simracing ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n01sname, Feb 19, 2015.

1. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Hey (me again :D),

as I really like your comments and posts in the "Which Track you like least" thread, I would like to ask
    which initial Racing Experience brought you to (Hardcore-)Simracing ?

For me (and I bet for many Veterans too, like GPL, which I didn`t check out intensively cause Im not a fan of Open Wheelers) it was definitely the Toca Touring Car Championship 1+2 and Colin McRae Rally (both released around 98/99) by Codemasters (from a time they`ve been innovative).
    The Physics were rudimental in both games but what really got me that time about Toca is, that you really got your basic lessons how to circle a (FWD) Racecar around the track and that you also had to learn to run with that "pack of wolves" once the grid has started. Any minor fault resulted in a spin or you were consequently pushed onto the green (talking PS One with Controller).
    A few years later I bought the PC Version (and a wheel) which made things a bit easier.
    Anyway, this intense experience was the key of falling in Love with Simracing and so I kept my eyes open to find something more realistic and extreme.
    Well and then (around 2002) I heared about ISI and their modable F1 Series and about a Modding Team called " Simbin" who just had released a "GTR -Mod".
    The first time I took a ride I was more spinning or visiting pretty areas beneath the track then anything else (like total newbies today with R3E) but it was worth to learn...cause it felt simply massive and WOW! ;)
    Rest is history....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    i love this question. im a newb, it was assetto corsa for me, so i still hold a pretty dear spot for it (ofc its not just sentimental, i also think the road cars are amazing & am at least as eager for the dream pack release as i am for pCARS to finally be downloadable on steam).

ive really come to love the sim community & all the major sims & developers. ive been so glad to see s3 (/nee simbin) turning things around since i started following the sim when the quattro was released. lots of great new content & a great team leading the way too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    For me it was Race07.
    My father has driven this a bit. At my 5 age I raced my first time Race07 with the Logitech Momo FFB Wheel at my fathers PC and I was immediately excited. 1 year later I got a PC + Wheel to Christmas, my brother too. Since this time we raced rFactor together. Another 1 year later my father never had time to race, so I went to Race07 and raced at the Weissbierbude more than 6 years.
    Then there came Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom Racing Experience which I race now.

4. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Time has come to confess that Iam old ;-) In my case it was Formula One Grand Prix by Geoff Crammond on an Amiga 500. Most of you won't know what this is I guess but for clarification there is Wiki and so on. Great graphics and physics...for this time:p. I don't know if this is really valid to be called simulator but in these times I felt like sitting in one :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Michael Schumacher :grin:

6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Nice thread !

For me it was, once upon a time ... with game like Geoff Crammond GP2 and GP3 on PC back in the 90's, some Richard Burn Rally. Played them with a MS Sidewinder FFB joystick and a MS Sidewinder FFB wheel (the first of all ;) )... And I was pretty bad (never finish one single race :oops: in GP2)... FFB wheel wasn't so great at this time. A little bit on Need for speed 3 witch was great then !
    I went console gaming on Playstation with the first Gran Turismo, and GT2 but forza motorsport was my blast for years. Playing mainly with gamepad, until I decided to release the budget and buy my first "good" wheel.
    Having a good RIG pushed me back to PC gaming, wanted more for my stuff. I always liked the plug&play side of console gaming, but we can get so much with PC gaming (better wheel support, buttkicker+simvibe, etc). And it's a great era for PC sim I think.
    I first committed to Game Stock Car 2013 (Stock car extreme now), then learned about Asseto and mostly like it.
    I did tried R3E in the early days but it wasn't that great, only sound gave you a blast, but since the September '14 update it became my main sim. I only launch AC for the little league I'm in.

Waiting for Pcars, was to late for the early access for the alpha/beta. Hope it will be a good link between the sims like asseto and the console game like Forza.

EDIT: oh I forgot games like Monaco GP on Nintendo SNES :p

7. Eck Simpson

Eck Simpson Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I can trace my way back to 2d games... Pole Position anyone?... lol

8. NoXiD

NoXiD Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 2
  9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Haahaa, all that old stuff, thx guys :)
    (Microprose made simple but great "Simulators" that time....)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  10. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I really like racing games as long as I can remember. My first racing game was Pitstop 2 on the C64 (at least I think so... so hard to remember, as it's been decades). The first time I really raced with passion and together with friends was in the '90s on the PC (I think it was a 386SX 25Mhz), the game was Geoff Crammonds Formula One Grand Prix. This game was such a great experience, that I bought my first Wheel, a Thrustmaster Formula 1. Then there were only some arcade racers I can remember, because I moved from the PC to consoles and lost the focus on sim-like games. I just played games like Ridge Racer, Need for Speed, Tokio Highway Battle... with a pad. The next racing game(s) I fell in love with, was the Forza series. Because of Forza 4 I bought my second wheel, a MS Wireless Racing Wheel. I think this was also the time I got more seriously into racing, building a DIY rig and buying a Fanatec CSR with CSP V2 pedals, joining a racing community and driving ten thousands of virtual kilometers in community races/cups and leagues. So, hopes were high for Forza 5, I bought a Thrustmaster TX and a Basherboards CPX adapter to be able to use the CSPs with my Xbox One... but where the in the world were these great features Mr. Greenawalt spoke about and that the community were asking for? Real tire wear, fuel consumption, race weekends and so on....? I was disappointed and wanted more! Ok, so the next thing was hijacking the PC I bought for my wife to play The Sims on, buying AC, R3E, rFactor2, GSC, a PCars membership and some additional hardware (Android phone to run DashmeterPro, Oculus Rift DK2...).
    Wow, what a long post... in short terms, i had a long way to the "real" sim world, but enjoying it now more than anything else!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for clearing my rose-colored glasses. In my memories it looked much nicer ;-)

12. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Some things have to remain only in your memories. I downloaded Wing Commander: Heart of the Tiger some weeks ago on Origin. Man, I loved this game... as I said, only in your memories!:)

...ok, I still love it, but I don't want to play it anymore!

13. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I remember the day I "tasted" my first sim racing title - it also happens to be the same day I completely stopped playing race games on the console.
    My first was Race07 and I found out about it completely by accident...

I stumbled across a sim racing website one day and they made sim racing titles sound very exciting. Curious, I asked the guys what title I should try, you know... just for kicks and giggles. :)
    I didn't have a desktop at the time so I downloaded Race07 to my laptop, put it on an end table and proceeded to drag my Playseat across the room.
    I bet it didn't take 5 minutes... I instantly felt the difference. I kept repeating "I can't believe this!". It was so different to anything I had experienced on the console and it felt like I had found something I'd been searching for but didn't know existed.

Later that day I started picking parts to build a PC just for Race07. :D
    Bailey

14. M.Andretti

M.Andretti Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Like you my dear rabbit!
    Was gamin' for few years in RACE07, but my story began in the 90's by console games.
    Was testin' some F1 on SNES, and began to be serious on PS, with GT and GT2 and first driving wheel (MADCATZ), then i tested simulator on PC, with viper racing and GP3 and others rallys.(was with steering wheel Guillemot)
    Then, back on console's games with race driver, PGR(XBOX),and GT4(PS2).
    Was getting a pc few years ago and began with NFSShift, grid and Race07/GTR evo., but no playing more because of an offline set .I have now WWW. and a steering wheel(G25), and a seat, so let's race!!!

15. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    well it's not really a hc simulator but surely the game that brought me into racing it's crazy cars 3 from Titus on the Amiga 500...it was a blast of a game with good graphics , good handling (for an arcade game) and lot of other options...we can say it was the need for for speed of the 80's :)...meanwhile my first hc simulation was F355 challenge from Sega...still have it with the original Sega wheel on Dreamcast...really a must for hc simracers even nowadays... :)

16. Mue

Mue Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    i started my "career" with this:D
    Formula One Grand Prix by Geoff Crammond
    [​IMG]
    haha omg...played @ 286 with 33 MHz...:D

• Like Like x 5
  17. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Second Race Driver from Codies made me buy a wheel. After that, first proper sim was GTR2.

18. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    R3e :)

but I loved playing super monaco gp and Ridgeracer when I was younger.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, tried to track my history the other day:

Grand Prix
    Grand Prix 2
    Sportscar GT
    F1 2002 (GTR2002 mod)
    F1 Challenge (SCC & Prototype C mods)
    GTR2