Question Why am I so slow in RaceRoom?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Bottroper, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    First of all, I haven't played racing games since the days of Outrun or TestDrive on a C64, so that's nearly 30 years. Second, I don't have a wheel yet so I'm playing with an xbox 360 controller and Amateur difficulty.

Last week I drove a Mercedes C63 DTM in Oschersleben in the DTM Winter Cup. I had to fight hard to do a 1m34.233s lap.
    Early this week I bought Project Cars and with Medium difficulty as well (I think Project Cars has three difficulties too, not sure at the moment) I did a lap in Oschersleben in a C63 DTM in 1m32 without breaking a sweat.

The difference in lap times could mean three things now. Project Cars is too easy and RaceRoom is closer to the real thing, RaceRoom is too hard is PC is closer to reality, or it's just the default setting of the cars that make the difference. The PC car was much more stable in the first tight left after the start-finish straight, where in RaceRoom I almost always spun out.

Is it worth my while to go Get Real in R3E even without a wheel and try to figure out what all those car settings do? Are there any good sources that explain how the settings work?

Thanks,
    Marc

PS: I've seen many discussions in forums whether Assetto Corsa was better or Project Cars and which one to buy. I think R3E deserves much more attention!

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Not going to turn this thread into PCars versus R3E vs AC, but you're right at least IMO. When I used a 360 controller, I was much quicker in PCars than in R3E. With a wheel, I'm much quicker in PCars than R3E. PCars to me is less of a challenge than R3E. FYI Amateur difficulty in R3E includes some braking assistance and stability and traction control. @Christian Göpfert is the man when it comes to driving with controllers. Hopefully he can chime in and help you out some.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Cheers Dave ;)

Hi Bottroper (are you from Germany by any chance? Cause there's a town called Bottrop here),

First you should make sure your controller is set up right. Are you totally comfortable with the sensitivity etc? I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad 2 but the basics are the same with all pads, so you could try my config and see if those changes offer any inprovement in feel:
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/controller-profiles.883/#post-9517
    Note that with the newer physics cars (DTM 2015, GTR3, Aquila, BMW M1, Silhouette, Audi TT) I lowered the analog sector sensitivity even more (1.2/1.4/1.6), and set the return multiplier to 1.5. (Always bear in mind that I change the steering lock to 18 usually (in the car setup menu)). If this feels too sluggish to you, raise analog sector values by 0.2 each and try again.

For me setting steering sensitivity to zero is crucial with a gamepad as it greatly improves the accuracy of small inputs.

I'm using Get Real, which doesn't make that much of a difference once you've learned the basics and track layouts. It's really all about achieving smooth lines and using the whole track.

Regarding car setups, there's a thread where some guys collected a couple setup guides here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/setting-up-your-car.86/
    While those aren't written for R3E the basics are the same and if you follow the basic rules those tutorials suggest you'll be able to tune the cars behaviour to your liking quite significantly (only in Get Real of course).

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away, I and everybody else will try to aid the best we can.

Give it a try.
    Cheers

Christian

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Buy a wheel!

(If you can't afford one, sell something, your bed... your sister... Whatever , it's worth it...)

;-)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Or build one yourself
    [​IMG]
    But until then, give those changes a try. ;)

• Creative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful x 1
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Partly down to how the game adjusts to the controller you are using, one is easier on you than the other? Then you have to factor in track grip levels for each game, car setups\physics\car variance by developer lots and lots of variables its not all the controller or this game is better than that or that!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian, ich komme aus Bottrop, lebe jetzt aber in Sydney.

thanks all for your responses. I received note of one response by email which seems to have been deleted.
    What I'm hearing is that R3E's physics is more realistic, PC goes easier on certain controllers and I really should get a wheel. Actually I'm looking at a Logitech G920, I just have to convince my treasurer aka the wife that a wheel is necessary. :fearscream:
    Christian, I've been using your controller settings since I've found them in a Steam thread. I've tried tweaking them, however, never was 100% happy. Maybe because of expectations too high since I don't know what realistically is achievable?

Learning the track certainly helps to improve lap times. I was able to cut off about 5 seconds on Norisring and go around the course in just under 50 seconds now. Only steering is still not precise enough. Don't know if I'm simply too fast going into corners or is it the controller settings? I'll keep practicing :blush:

btw, does anyone have experience with the RaceRoom Driving Controller?

Cheers,
    Marc

8. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt get the G920
    Get a g25 or g27 they are way cheaper now and technically the same as the G29/g920

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    cant find the g27 in online stores of the big electronics retail chains here in Australia. A quick google search just brought up an ad for a g27 at the same price of the g29. Seems I have to look harder.

10. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    You're probably stuck with eBay if you're set on a G27. If I were you I'd sit down with your financial manager and explain to her that a G29 is roughly $500AUD, while a Thrustmaster T300GTE, a technically superior wheel in the opinion of many former G25/27/29 owners (me included) is roughly $525AUD. I hope you have a comfortable couch to sleep on if the conversation does not go well...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'm German and my financial manager as you say is Australian. Is it wrong if I quote prices in Euros when talking about Racing Wheels? I mean 300 sounds better than 500, right? :D:D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Once you buy a wheel, you'll never look back and race without one :) Though I have to say that when I lived in Australia, I never switched ON the pc to play games as the outside word there is just marvellous :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    between my last post and this one I went back to Oschersleben. I drove behind an AI driver and completed a lap in 1m29.954s. Seems the controller is not the issue, I'm just a crappy driver :oops:

14. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    So your nothing special, welcome to the club.
    We all started like this

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    cheers ;)

16. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it's under a hundred Kuwaiti Dinar!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean, "we started"? Are you trying to suggest that some of you guys managed to improve beyond that level?
    I'm depressed now. :)

@Marc: From Bottrop to Australia, almost sounds like a movie title. ;)
    Didn't know you tried my setup already, was it an improvement over the default settings for you? My settings are not for everyone, I'm aware of that. I trade quite a bit of responsiveness for better accuracy, which suits my style the most (making small inputs, trying to avoid having to make too much correctional inputs).

But it sound like you're already on the right track, seeing that you were able to improve your time that significantly. So I'd suggest to switch to Get Real, cause that way you'll get the most out of the physics and once you've adapted to the slightly bigger challenge you'll find it actually let's you drive faster. And you'll be able to make some adjustments to the car setup that help gamepad users, like softer rear and harder front suspension, which helps with power oversteer a lot f.e.

I was also looking into buying a wheel and on a limited budget I'd probably also go for a T300 atm. Tried it at a Saturn and it felt quite good, excellent for what they charge for it I'd say.

Grüße aus Würzburg

Christian

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  18. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Not me! I'm like a sheepdog, keeping the herd in front of me at all times.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Here's a gift for you:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Whilst we're on the subject, anyone using a Logitech F710? Trying to decide between that and an Xbox One pad as a short-term, low space solution. Have always used Logitech ones in the past.