Question Why am I so slow in RaceRoom?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Bottroper, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I've got an F710 Rodger. I never use it though. If you weren't so damn far away I'd just give it to you and save you some money. I used it in some Sports games and some other games that required a controller but not in Racing Sims. It's responsive and works well.

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't recommend any new Logitech gamepads as they appear to have switched something in the analog stick compartment. The sticks aren't as firm and accurate as they used to be. And the orrifice has been changed from square to round, which makes sense for lots of games, but I find the square ones to be perfect for racing inputs.

I can only recommend getting a Rumblepad (2), perfect in terms of sticks. But it doesn't have analog shoulder buttons, so if you need those for accel/brake it sadly won't do it. You can still get used ones in good condiion on ebay.

Seeing that some people reported issues with the new console pads the F710 might be the better choice out of those with analog shoulder buttons tho.

4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
  5. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    just like an indie one, not a Hollywood blockbuster ;)

it made me faster, particularly in corners and I can break much later. I just don't get what you mean with you traded responsiveness. It's still too responsive for me. A fly just needs to land on the stick and the car jumps right across the track ;)
    IIrc it made me 10 seconds faster at Bathurst. well, your settings and practice I guess. maybe tomorrow I'll reset to the default settings and see how it goes?

6. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
  7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    So following a car you have gained some time, have you tried the single player leaderboard chasing ghosts and following lines? Helps no end.
    I dont know what you are playing on but if it was me and i couldnt get a wheel i would buy a decent analogue joystick for a racing game over any console controller all day long, tiny finger and thumb movements are nasty, a decent joystick will give you better accuracy and range of movement and control IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
  10. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    That SAAB still exists actually, same with the Trucks. 3 companies, one name.

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    For my taste the default setup is even worse, it's just way too twitchy for my clumsy hands. ;)
    Of course you can always reduce analog sector sensitivity even more, but at some point it'll take ages to reach full lock, which blows for tight corners. Alternatively a lower steering lock (default is 13, I use 18, quite a difference) can also reduce jerkiness, but it also affects cornering tight bends and most importantly (for me) the ability to recover from sliding. With my setup and a little practice I can even manage to drift somewhat comfortably now.

12. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I did that and it really helped. Helps you see where other people break and their lines. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I find it difficult to drive in a straight line with your settings. So for me it's a bit too responsive.

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have you checked the deadzones, to be sure it doesn't steer unintentionally? I also re-calibrate the sticks now and then (in Windows), just so I'm sure they're centered.

As I said, you can either lower the steering lock (if you went for 18 too) or try even lower analog sector sensitivity.
    Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out the best setting for you,
    here's hoping we might meet on track someday. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I increased the steering deadzone to 4%. I tried to play with the analog sectors because it feels too slow to turn the wheel now. I don't really know, tho, what I'm doing ;)
    I need much more practice kms before I'll go multiplayer

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Maybe this explanation form the old Race 07 manual can help.
    analog sectors.jpg
    The lower you set those, the slower the wheel will move in the respective sector. You've got to find the values you're comfy with, for me it's the ones I've mentioned but of course it's very individual.
    If it's being too twitchy when at higher speed you can also increase the speed sensitive steering setting which will dampen inputs as you go faster.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    thanks everybody for your contribution. I think we can close here since I have found out why I am slow. My tyres have been screaming at me in every corner but I didn't listen. I found out today in a race that I can be faster if my tyres don't scream. I cut several seconds off my lap times on every circuit in every car.

I'm going into corners with much more control, the line is cleaner, I can accelerate sooner.

God, I love this game!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1