Resolved Why did controls change overnight

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by mike 4, May 20, 2022.

1. mike 4

mike 4 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am hoping someone can help, I am really upset about an overnight change to the controls. Yes, I use a game pad. Yes, I love it. I just like to hop on and drive for fun. I have my muscle memory down and I have a good time. I use an older Logitech cordless rumble pad 2. I have been using the thumb stick on the left for accelerate (forward), decelerate (back), Left and Right. This has been my setup on a game pad for every game forever. Overnight there was a change to raceroom that is forcing me to separate those controls. I can't accelerate and turn at the same time with the same stick. Why would they make a change like this? Why can't I go back to yesterday's settings? Also, when I do separate it, if there is any movement in the x axis there can be no y axis movement and vice versa. It is really a pain. I apologize but I am just so frustrated. I don't compete, I just want to drive my favorite tracks for fun. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Sounds more like a bug than a decision. If you go to your racereoom folder on c drive and delete the control setup file then try binding again what happens?

3. mike 4

mike 4 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Definitely seems like a change in the game. I did as you suggested and found where my rcs files are located and removed them and did the binding again. Same thing, no improvement.

When I first went in to play earlier today, I noticed the car would not move, so I went into my bindings and everything was as it has been. But because there was no acceleration, I re-bound the accel/decel and it changed names to something different. So, something definitely changed. I tried switching the accel/decel to the other stick, which is annoying and will definitely take a lot of retraining but the worst part is that if you your stick gets slightly off axis it won't turn, brake, accelerate. It is so hard to keep those controls that precise and centered. There was an update yesterday and this was in the change log:
    • Controllers - Updated Thrustmaster SDK to v1.26
    • Controllers - Ensured older custom profiles for Fanatec CSL DD get the correct autotuning default values
    Nothing else that I see would have caused this. Do you or anybody know how to get in touch with someone at raceroom to ask them directly? I am so bummed and upset, I loved the game so much and had so much fun and now I literally can't drive anymore.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    My Logitech F710 still works correctly, I'm using the left stick for turning and the right stick for accelerating / braking there.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the tag, @Vale
    Hi, I'm using the same controller and I can still map it the way you described.
    upload_2022-5-21_22-33-39.png
    Note the input graphs at the top, I'm simultaneously pushing UP and LEFT on the left stick and the game is registering it correctly. I also tried on track and it did work as expected, throttle, brake and steering all mapped to the left stick.

I'm not quite sure why you're unable to do that now, there definitely was no code change that should affect gamepads.
    Just a stab in the dark but because the Rumblepad 2 is a directinput-only pad which requires using a directinput-to-xinput emulator (like x360ce or Ultimate Controller Remapper) for certain other games that don't support directinput anymore, did you by any chance install such an emu in the meantime and the emu running in the background is messing with RR axis assignments? If so, try disabling the emu before starting RR.

7. mike 4

mike 4 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much to everyone that replied!! Thank you @Christian G for letting me know you have the same controller and it is working for you, so that it must be on my end and not the game. The solution was rather simple and I feel a little stupid. There is a "mode" button in the center of the rumble pad and it had been pressed and the light next to it was on. This was the issue, so when I pressed it again, the light went off and I was able to bind correctly, the names "ID:1X-" etc... are now as they were before and all is good and inputs are all just like before. Thank you again!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mike,

no need to feel ashamed, stuff like this happens to all of us. :)
    The important bit is that you found the cause and were able to mend it. Thanks for letting us know.

Just in case you're not quite sure what that mode button actually does: It switches the D-pad and the left stick, so the left stick becomes the D-pad and the D-pad acts as the left stick axis'. I've never really understood the need for that function, at least I've never used it.