Why did i spin, but the AI not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eisprinzessin, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I am really frustrated...

Corner, i am inside, light touching (really light) i spin, AI drives on (sends me a vitual [​IMG].

This happens nearly every race...its frustrating.

Second:
    I am in Pole (so i am not so slow), but get hit befor a corner if AI car is near (overtook by me fot example) -> i spin

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The AI do suffer from a bit of "on rails" during corners and collisions, I missed my braking point last night and rear ended the AI which should've sent him into a vicious spin but he remained glued to the track and I crashed out.

Slightly annoying yes but doesn't happen all the time.

3. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Watch my latest video from 14:30 onwards. AI does spin out. I see it happen quite often. A couple of days ago I saw how two AI cars spun out due to contact between both of them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    played for 8 hours and the ai do spin out but i can also say if you tap them from behind i always spin off, maybe that should be adjusted. i have to say the ai are great though and put up a battle which makes it fun. ai in other sims they sometimes just sit behind u.. ai here dont give you a break which is good :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think it all comes down to the collision physics that should be adjusted, how (much) a contact provides forces to the car that touches and the car that has been touched. If this would be fixed, there won't be so much discussions about AI aggression or awareness IMO.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I agree.
    The AI does spin out on its own (occasionally taking another AI with it) and that's fine.
    But we're talking about two different things here, and the collision physics are problematic in their current state.
    Varies a bit from class to class, but some of them are truly frustrating to race.

7. slow24/7

slow24/7 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "You're just a bad driver" in 3...2...1...

8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    You're just a bad driver

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Hoho, come over and mess me at the Nords in RL [​IMG] [​IMG]

I touched him not really...was a side by side through the corner...nothing what let somebody spin around in real. Definitely not...

10. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    It is well known, that some classes are worst than others. GTO & DTM among others...
    This means to me, that S3 is aware of this and they're working on it :)
    Why don't you tell us which class you were driving? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, it was GT3.

12. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

Again a discussion about AI. AI is dumb in some cases and Sector3 cannot/dont want to fix it.

There was a time when the AI was much easier to handle because they put back and they didnt crash into the player. I cannot understand why S3 not using this "old" AI. It would make the single player races much more safe.
    Its totally stupid to say that someone cant race because the AI hit him in the back.

We all startet as beginners and nobody of you "good" drivers (and i think im a good driver too) should judge other people like that !

PS:
    It would be better if you could have more AI settings than the strength. If thats not possible Sector 3 should think faster about to change to another graphics platform to have more options for that (not only for AI but thats another story).
    I dont want to repeat myself but like i said in the other thread: the AI is more dangerous with lower % but too fast for beginners on higher %....

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Today again token out of the race because the 2nd hit me from behind after 12 laps.

14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    They can't/won't?
    According to whom?

Because it was boring as hell. It was like racing Assetto AI, and that is not a positive comparison.

And yet you just did.....

Wait, what?
    You want S3 to switch to another graphics-engine in order to improve the AI?
    Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, pray.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    My experience is that it all depends on AI setting. Well trained adaptive AI is a sheer delight to race against. But set fixed AI to high and you give yourself a lot of troubles. AI in that case will always looks overly agressive with seemingly excessive behavior.

And yes I struggle a (lots of) bit from time to time. Due to car settings, (adaptive) AI and my own (lack) of skills. AI is the easiest to blame.

And my only personal thing with AI is the lack of spacial awareness of the AI. When I spin the car behind me which have more than a second to respond will garantuee to crash in me when I'm on it's "fixed" racingline. But on the other hand, that fixation gives great wheelbanging racing action. So It would be nice for the future to have an improved spacial awareness as long as it goes with the costs of losing the wheelbanging action.

So to answer your question: why you, not AI? To many variables. Sometimes working in your favor, more times working against. ;):p

16. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    :eek:
    Sorry, but it's really beyond me, how can you even think a nonsense like this?!
    They are actually steadily working on it and even in this patch went some Work to bias their aggressivity... So what? o_O:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fishey

Fishey New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The AI Collisions have been a problem for YEARS despite many patch notes claiming they have been fixed or worked on. At this point how about just turning them off altogether! Makes single player racing flat out suck.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  18. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I strongly disagree.
    I've been testing the adaptive AI for a couple of days now and I am really suprised how the race you.
    I uploaded a video a couple of days ago showing "Adaptive AI at its very best" (Adaptive KI in Bestform). It's a video with German commentary but you can spot some nice AI maneuvers.

Disclaimer: I am quite a bad driver because I don't know how to defend properly. I have much to learn. But AI handles my lack of skill quite successfully.

Race starts at 08.30.
    AI closes the door after the runway: 09:00
    AI tries to pass me: 11:25
    AI is battling AI: 11:25 till 11:35 (replay window at the top right)
    AI passes me on the outside: 13:56
    AI is battling AI: 14:50 (again replay window)
    And so on. I have to admit that R3E's AI is one of the finest I've ever seen. (I don't own rFactor nor iRacing but AMS, AC and Project Cars).

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Fishey

Fishey New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a problem with the racing AI, its when contact is made.. If they break short on a turn and I tap them from behind no matter how hard or soft my car spins out of control and they do not. The AI cars just do not react the same as the player, and no matter the fault the player always takes it the spin and the AI keeps on going.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I pretty much only play in single player mode. And while the AI could use a bit of improvement ( I think that will always be the case) They are so well rounded here, that R3E finally pulled me completely away from GTR2 because of the AI. I had used VonDutches guide to better AI, and had them really dialed to my racing style in GTR2. So that for me speaks volumes.
    And at the same time I have noticed that there is a bug, flaw, call it what you will, in the physics. In that there is a spot on all the cars, basically where the door handle should be. That if the front or back wheel of the AI car so much as kisses that spot. I'm sent spinning off into oblivion. But in my mind that's minor. And avoidable with a bit of conscious focused driving. So it rarely happens to me anymore. Also How many ai do you have on the track. The more you have, the worse the ai will tend to behave.
    And in my experience the worst are in the GT3's. Aside from the fact that I can't seem to get the back end of any of those cars stable I have more incidents with the ai there than any other category. So I tend to not spend a lot of time in the GT3's.
    Otherwise all the DTM including the 92's, GTO's, Group5, M1 Procar, pretty much everything else I have no problem worth speaking of with the AI. I too have had lots of door bangers, fender benders and shoulder to shoulder battles through the corners and drag races down the straights and lost as many battles as I won. And I've ass ended lots of them and got ass ended going into the corners and didn't go off track most of the time.
    So in my mind, Maybe you need to learn the game a bit more. I have almost 950 hours in game and 95% of that is racing the AI. So I've learned how they behave. What works and what doesn't. These are the best AI of any sim. And I have them all except iRacing. Which if I'm not mistaken, doesn't have AI.
    Just my 2 Cents

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1