Why in-game car reaction si still slower than in real life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by garytc78, Jun 25, 2015.

1. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks,
    I love SIM racing games and i have almost all of them. I hate input lag (also called delay or latency) so i always make sure i play sims without it. I play at 60 constant FPS without vsync in order to have perfect simracing experience. This is the only way to have absolutely perfect wheel response with ZERO lag! But it doesnt seem to be enough... In real life the car reaction is still quicker than in simulations.. Why?? Am i missing something or it is only some kind of placebo effect?

P.s. forgot to mention that I use g27 with great PC! :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    By car reaction i mean car response to the wheel being turned rapidly (left or right)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, those are the shortcomings of virtual reality vs real reality. ;)
    On your car you are connected to the wheels more or less directly via the steering. In a sim there's all sorts of components involved which have to communicate and interact with each other. It simply isn't an analog/mechanic transmission of information like the instantaneous reaction your cars wheels show when moving the steering wheel, there are several stages the information has to pass through until it is being displayed on your monitor.

Just hang in there a few more decades, once we get quantum computing those effects will be but a blurry memory from the dark ages of digital technology (now).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have gaming LCD with 1 MS response. The in game virtual wheel matches 1:1 the rotation of my g27 but it doesn't eliminate the lag i notice when my car turns. Very small but stilo there

6. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have gaming LCD with 1 MS response. The in game virtual wheel matches 1:1 the rotation of my g27 but it doesn't eliminate the lag i notice when my car turns. Very small but stilo there

7. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    the manufacturer's specs are usually different then actual tested response times. but your monitor should still be more then adequate. for example, the specs on the asus VS278Q say it has 1ms response time, but the tested response time is 10ms.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    this latency really bugged me when i started playing r3e coming from other games with faster input response.
    I dont know if it is a fault or a way for sector 3 to better emulate reality,cause most cars i've driven in real life do have a slight delay of response(ok not racecars) ,or if its just in my mind:eek:
    anyway what i did to get over it was to turn the sensitivity way up,i have wheel sensitivity to75% and pedals at 65

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I will try that! Thank you XXVI :)

10. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    it definitely does the trick! :)

11. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    also when u set wheel sensitivity this high i think its better to lower steering lock a click or two, depending on car class

• Like Like x 1