Why Raceroom is not suitable for e-sport events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, Aug 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I understand RR need money for dev process. I understand dev process is highly expensive.
    So I'm ready to pay for every uploaded custom livery. I even ready to pay subscription fee if RR will require it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Cute to see how a random person who obviously has no knowledge whatsoever about how the liveries-implementation is coded in RaceRoom, comes to the forums and knows for sure that it isn't hard to implement something whatever... :rolleyes:

I don't have this knowledge either, but I also don't claim to have it. I'm reading these forums (and Discord) for a long time now and remember a lot of stuff that has been said by one dev or another in this regard in the past.

I surely have no idea about the difficulties of implementing variable parts on liveries, be it accent colours, names or numbers. I guess an additional layer with variables would be needed. Since most liveries are different in where names and numbers are located, there would need to be a logic to take this into account for EACH individual livery. Fonts too, if you don't want it to look silly. And flags. In a lot of cases at least.

While this is surely possible SOMEHOW, I highly doubt it is an easy task if features like this weren't thought of when the livery system was implemented in the beginning. Dev comments imply that this wasn't the case. Also RaceRoom is making money from selling liveries - which you might not like, but is also not going to change in the foreseeable future. A random accent colour/name/number-system would surely take away from this income, while the implementation would cost dev time, which in my opinion could better be put into other features like for example some kind of an engine upgrade, online driver swaps or a netcode overhaul to allow more people racing together at the same time.

Another thing I know from dev's comments is that while 1) and 2) might actually be a possible option for some cars, it surely is a no-go for others due to licensing restrctions. Random liveries/accent colours/names/numbers are simply not allowed in any case.

This is really not a "problem", but rather a (really!) nice to have feature. For the big e-sports events individual liveries get implemented, for random racing not. So what?

3. < blank >

< blank > New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At least, nice to see a person who can see deeper or more global. ;)

With liveries itself
    • if it's a license issue - for sure not a case
    • if it's a politics issue (a major income part) - it is solvable one way or another. As an example - dynamic liverie may cost noticeably much expensive.
    • Any other - it is only a working hours issue :rolleyes:

About naming, numbering and national flags - is the same issue. If licence block this - than ok. Otherwise - why not?
    And a server side features - only a working hours.

I agree that business itself much better know its priorities. And I see the source of issue of this thread: this game is positioned as a simulator with a lot of licenses, but it isn't possible to fully use it in a custom small leagues, etc.

Exactly my wishlist is much longer for Raceroom. And every person who ride it have own list. It will be nice to have a system where can create wishes, vote for them, see comments and some activity from stuff... I remember that something like this was for an Xbox One, when after a not great launch they start to collect a real wishes. With a real person votes for them. But I have a patience to see where it leads at all. And of course I wish all the best for a Sector 3 Studios team.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is not suitable for eSports events because.......oh....wait......
    Screenshot_20210928-234002.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    No, no, it's not e-sport until you can paint your own ugly livery...

6. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ill be clear on this first, i really like Raceroom, i have every car and track released (only miss the gt4 amg and the new e-car).

I only play single player exclusively. While others (iRacing) i race quite often.

Simply due to game mechanics/cameras/a lot of other things being completely off from realistic driving.

The actual driving technique is quite off, and the fact that you can drive successfully online, with a "wrong" (not necessarily bad, someone might say) technique, is a huge turn off for me, and im sure for a lot of sim lovers.

Other more popular simulator titles force you to drive with the driver POV camera.

In raceroom, ive seen a LOT of high end drivers use different cams to make it easier to drive (and have a better vision) of whats around them.

For me, those two are enough to be dealbrakers alone, not to mention both of them...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It almost sounds like you think iracing is realistic then.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Never said anything like it.

But it is definitely more realistic. At least these two points i mentioned, if youve read it.

9. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    In what way ‘quite off’?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I did, but if you want to be taken seriously you'll have to explain what you mean..as above, what is "quite off". And what are you comparing to to come to this conclusion? For example.

11. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    And what's wrong with it? Maybe those other sims force you to use cockpit cam because their other cams are bad or don't exist?

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Just because your forced to use a cockpit cam for a game/seies/league , doesnt actually mean you are using a cockpit cam .......

Andi

13. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    realistic... allow automatic gearbox or sequential shifting in GetReal race mode for gr.5, gr.4, gr.C, GTO - this is another addon for realism :)
    But this is offtopic theme )

14. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I am migrating to iRacing too. Reason - much more people online for my favorite Porsche Cup and my own name and livery at car :) safety rating - allows me runaway from morons.

And I am have many of RR's content too. Will I buy more RR content? I dont know yet... :flushed:

But this is offtopic too )

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    So just like all other sims then. Yawn. If the game is so bad why are you still here?

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Start your own dedicated server, ban autoclutch on it, and hope you find enough people who want to drive there.
    It's no problem, you can do anything.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    This one seems to have run its course , ill close it tomorrow.....

Andi

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree. Boils down to OP (1) wants something - in this case custom liveries and names on cars; (2) threatens to leave game /stop buying content if he doesn't get what he wants and (3) makes up some stuff about the vast numbers of people that will do the same if he doesn't get what he wants.

It's an old formula. (1) is fine. (2) and (3) are the equivalent of a toddler tantrum. We see a fresh version of this every week or so. It's boring.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank god we have streams to see the top guys in each title.

I dont want to derail too much with driving mechanics.

To me, Raceroom is completely undefined lacking a concept and a goal what it wants to be.

Esports title?
    Its not really there, is it? A lot of competetions exist, but the attention to it just drops off a cliff, every time.

A lot of the skill that really is required to be there is simply taken out by adding options to use cameras with a much better view compared what you would actually have as a driver.
    Its not the only reason, this bugs me personally and its a turn off to race against people that use bonnet cams.

Artificial corner markers, why?

Its plagued with mini bugs.
    I dont remember running a session and not running into a greyed out screen in options or something having me to restart whatever I did previously. Im breaking my neck every time i start the game in VR because an auto center functionality is not triggered on start.

A high end simulator?
    It feels good, sounds good, but... its not there. Otherwise it would be absolutely loaded with people.

The old engine is.. i dont know. Sure, its expensive to develop a completely new one, and that might be out of the question, but at least optimize it better. Zero need to have the nice details being processed on trees and stuff on places where it is completely and utterly useless.

I hope im not killed if i use iRacing as a benchmark for this. They offer a lot of optimizations for the graphics, meaning removing completely the stands, trees, the unnecessary flora.

Again, im not writing here just to shit on Raceroom. I LOVE Raceroom, im excited every time i start the game, but...

There are always these little reminders and immersion killers and bugs and... you get the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You talk about immersion killers and then want to remove the trees and stands?

By the way, you can, track detail settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.