Why we need actual course cutting penalties - especially on ranked servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndwthx1138, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I see this time and time again - below you see the race "winner" - who had one valid lap which was 4 seconds slower than all of his others. There needs to be some sort of compounding off track penalty. Especially for gaining time. This is horrible -

horseshit.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps try reporting the track on which this happened, with an accompanying replay file? That way the exploit can be found and fixed.

3. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It’s not an exploit - the laps are not being counted, thus them being marked in red - he is receiving penality points every time. But because the penalty is so mild you can do it 30 times in one race.

This particular guy would go outside the track 2-3 times per lap to gain upwards of 3 seconds. Because the incident points are set at 30 on the ranked servers he can literally do this every lap.

I personally wish after two incidents on the same corner that the penalty would double every time there after (2,4,8,16 etc). This would stop people from doing this pretty quick.

OR another easy fix, if you have more invalid laps than valid you lose 3 positions at the end of the race.

Current system rewards very bad driving and poor sportsmanship.

The winner in the picture I attached has a safety rating of 70 for example - obviously does this sorta thing a lot. -

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I am blind, but I don't see the "one valid lap which was 4 seconds slower than all of his others" in the screenshot. It seems his best valid lap is about 1.6 seconds better than his best invalid one.

I do see your point in general though, and I agree there should be some systemic way to punish this kind of exploiting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I was seeing the one valid lap in black -
    1:27.1
    And his fastest invalid lap at
    1:23.4

regardless you can see lap after lap he’s gaining 1-1.5 seconds with invalid laps.

i was in front of him but all he was doing is going ultra wide to get setup for straights and then going through a chicane after.

6. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The yellow one where he has 1.25 is also valid.

btw: some tracks can have pretty sketchy track limits and driving on edge can mean a lot of invalidated laps, it's not always exploiting, just trying to use as much road as you can and not getting it completely right in regards to track limit inconsistencies...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What this user is describing is blatant corner cutting. I've seen some people going wide in last couple and first couple of turns in Redbull ring and catch up or go away from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    a video of this would be nice
    just to see

Andi

9. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I have not driven the ranked servers recently, but when I was it was a common problem, people just totally ignoring the track limits & overtaking around the outside. Redbull Ring & Hockenheim were particularly bad for it. Surely it would be possible to instigate drive through penalties for say 5 transgressions of track limits.

By allowing lots of driving off track it then just encourages other normally well behaved drivers to do the same just to keep their ranking up.

And Andi, you don't need videos, just a better policing system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    When slowdown penalties are enabled, you aren't able to cut the track at the Red Bull Ring and the Hockenheimring in a meaningful manner. The slowdown penalties always cost you more time than you gain. When you only slightly leave the track, you get a warning, but no slowdown penalty, because there's no time to be gained there.

Is the screenshot in the first post from RaceRoom Raceway? It's extremely easy to pick up warnings there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    You need videos as tangible proof of a problem, because they are worth far more than a single screenshot and the word of a few forum members. I'm not doubting anything that is being said here, I'm simply being realistic about what is required to investigate and solve this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i do actually to see the exact line ; then the devs can see if its stepping outside of the boundaries , and if so why isnt it triggering a slowdown penalty , seeing it , helps

Andi

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  13. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    And while your at it the AI seem to think all four wheels over the white line is an acceptable place to pass. No slow down, no penalty, no giving the position back just carry on. Track awareness, the bump and run, turning in so late you essentially have to lift, turn off the track or get hit. I asked a question regarding the AI flashing of lights and there was no response, probably because it was deemed silly or not important. But If you ask what is the reason the AI car is doing it it may help identify how it interprets a car in front. Is it slower than me (says the AI)? Is it in the same class? Did it just pass me and now I'm pissed? Or is it simply hey there is an object in front of me and I have headlights that are totally useless other wise so I'll use them now?
    Also I would ask is the aggression of the AI consistent regardless of level, why is it you set the AI to a level where you are not kicking their butt they are basically running or hitting you off the track? Shouldn't they just be quicker? I mean the line is the line whether you are quick or not. If indeed the higher setting of AI is relative to the skill they should be able to avoid contact, find a better line, out brake, etc..

14. pederman87

pederman87 New Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    On which track and corner does the AI overtake off track?

15. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    It has been at Road America and the Nurburgring with multiclass. Examples turn 1 at Road America is nearly flat out in fourth gear for a GTR3 car yet I can get passed on the outside by AI that has exceeded the track limits, or turn Canada Corner.

16. Thxave

Thxave Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Not completely true about Hockenheimring. If you go wide and off track on the first turn you can gain half a second. You do get a time penalty.(DTM and GT3)
    However, the amount of time you are given to serve the penalty is too long. You can make it to the hairpin and the penalty will clear on the hairpin without actually serving the penalty. This should be fixed as serving the .4 of a second slowdown penalty before the hairpin would definitely stop people gaining an unfair advantage.

17. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see anyone take t1 flat out at road America in a gt3 !!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I`ve seen this a lot. One problem is (I think) that the AI can brake much later than you, and yet is quite slow going round the corners. This has nothing to do with aggression.

19. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Reading and comprehension sir

fourth/4th/second from last gear

Nearly - not quite to full extent/amount

And the people that rated may want to understand what it is your agreeing to.

20. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Aren't you one of the testers that is supposed to try and recreate the issue being reported or are you simply a video consumer?