Will a 120hz monitor fix screen tearing without V-Sync?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMarkham40, Jul 15, 2015.

1. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I recently upgraded to a new GeForce 970 GTX. I noticed a lot of screen tearing on my 60hz monitor with the added frame rate so I turned on V-Sync. The screen tearing went away but I ended up with horrible input lag. I went to Zolder in the GT2 cars & lost over half a second cause I kept missing the apexes. I turned V-Sync off & I was right back to my normal lap times but the screen tearing is giving me a headache. Will a 120hz monitor without V-Sync enabled correct this? My fps varies between about 80 & 120 without V-Sync enabled.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    No, it won't, because you can get tearing or stuttering when every your FPS is not in sync with the monitor refresh rate. You need a G-sync monitor to fix the problem. What 120Hz or 144Hz monitor will do, it pretty much makes the problem less pronounced and it improves input lag even VSync on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RuskyV

RuskyV Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have the same set up and what i do is cap my frames to 90 for Assetto Corsa and usually cap them at 120fps for everything else if i can maintain it. Most of the sims i race tend to have that function built into the menu systems. If for any other games i use http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html nvidia inspector although with R3e i tend to use vsync as i personally dont notice or feel the input lag enough to bother changing it.

4. RuskyV

RuskyV Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hear is the options tab open and the Frame cap highlighted. If after you decide to use this software then all you need to do is uncompress the zip and drag the folder to your desired location on your hard drive and then just create a short cut from the .exe

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

5. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I found EVGA Precision X has a frame rate limiter built in. I set it at 60 fps & 95% of the tearing is gone & no input lag!

• Agree Agree x 1