Will Raceroom be moving to a new a new engine soon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blueferrari, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I don’t mind the current GFX. The game itself is great. Better GFx won’t change this for me.
    Although I’m a GFX fan. The nicer GFX the better, well mostly. The drawback of higher GFX standard is the need for a new PC. I spend a lot of money on my current PC and I want to use it for a longer period than I currently have.
    so for me it is more then ok with the current GFX and RaceRoom. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Collywobbles

Collywobbles Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I prefer this game to ACC because ACC is unplayable in VR, even with a beefy PC (45 FPS blurry mess = eye strain). Just look at iRacing, nowhere near the best graphics but has huge numbers playing because of the epic online gameplay and it runs well in VR. Please do not port this game to UE4. (A DX12 update of the current engine would be nice, though ;)).

• Like Like x 4
  3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Kinda medieval vibes I feel, reading your posts, bit dark and gloomy.:eek:
    But I admire your abillity, to assess correct elevations from a distorted screenshot.;):p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. maanzaadje

maanzaadje Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    @Koly™ Are you the KolysioN™ from Steam?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    He's banned on multiple accounts from majority of the Steam forums I have been visiting for constant flaming, trolling and insults. He's been very tame here so far, compared to the crap he's been pulling all over Steam discussions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Rally fan in general...and a guy who somehow managed not to get banned from Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, WRC 5, WRC 6, WRC 7 Steam forums for constant shitposting and insulting everyone like you did - multiple times.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I just hope that future racing games don't poop on VR users like Kunos did.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Great Kunos, crown, loser, defeated. Sorry, can take this serious anymore... :neutral: With such a bias that's not an analysis to me, that's preaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Pull your neck in a bit , its far too tempting when you stick it out this far

Andi

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I hope it will never be upgraded to UE4. UE4 is just horrible in VR both in looks and performance. I don't think that Raceroom needs an engine upgrade..it runs great, even with a lot of cars on the track, while also looking good. Only other engine I have seen to achieve that is the Madness engine. All other sims are worse in looks or performance, or even both (looking at you ACC)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Luis Eduardo

Luis Eduardo Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Have any games made use of Unreal Engine 5? Will VR and graphics performance problems be fixed in this new version? That Nascar and Kart game were made in Unreal 4 and I don't think it has as many problems as the ACC.

Still, I hope for a graphic evolution of Raceroom, because I like the simulator and the more news about it, the better for the entire virtual motoring community.

13. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nothing released yet, since the engine is only out for a bit more then half a year. Will certainly take a bit longer until you can expect a serious game.
    The UE4 engine isn't bad per se, it's actually quite capable. The problem is, you need people that are very experienced with the engine to get a performance optimized game, you will most likely find these at AAA studios. Just converting to UE4 from an old engine or starting a new studio with not a huge knowledge with the engine is the shortest way to performance-disaster, as can be seen in ACC, but also in quite a few other games from smaller studios, like Hell let Loose for example.
    Besides the performance optimization, the biggest problem with the UE4 engine that it can't do MSAA (or any form of any useful anti-aliasing), so it will always looked either washed out or jagged, you'll never nail that sweetspot in clarity that a lot of other engines can perform - unless you can afford to apply massive supersampling, which only worsens the performance problems.
    So UE4 is really the worst possible engine when it comes to a simulator transition.

If R3E is ever going to get an engine upgrade, I hope it will be the Madness engine or just an upgraded version of the existing engine, but hopefully never UE4. This would just make it another "blacklisted" sim for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Luis Eduardo

Luis Eduardo Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    As you mentioned, madness engine is an alternative, because Automobilista 2 ended up looking for that way out. I think that in terms of engine for car games we are increasingly restricted to only 3 AAA companies (codemasters, Turn 10 Studios and Polyphony Digital) and I don't know if these companies would be interested in selling and letting their engines change for simulators like Sector 3.

15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Read history before suggesting certain engines.....

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about ACC but this is how I see it:

Overall ranking:
    1. Raceroom
    2. iRacing
    3. Automobilista 2
    4. GTR3 :p
    5. AC
    6. ACC

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Please not the Madness engine, not that it will ever happen but please no, AMS2 is a year in and still sucks, looks pretty but drives like a bag of nails, in fact I swear the driving is going backwards. I actually quite liked a couple early renditions but lately, well I just don't get on with it. Also compared to RR with the realistic look, AMS2 resembles the interior of a sweet shop, all over saturated and fake. Take AMS1 over 2 any day.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Don't know, AMS2 drives much better than before. There are many improvements in regards to driving but yeah, many things are still missing and should be improved in the future. In comparison, ACC feels like very tight solid plastic box with tyres glued to the road surface. Sure, some people love that. And how about the performance.... you need RTX3090 to get 45 fps on triples. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. II./JG77_Manu

II./JG77_Manu New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how it is on a screen, but in VR the Madness engine is the only engine that achieves to look "real", in terms of color saturation, contrast, reflection and 3D objects. All other sims have more or less of this "cardboardy" feeling, meaning, everything looks a bit like made out of cardboard and the saturation is just way lower then in reality.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Love the fact people disagree that I don't like AMS2. :rolleyes: