Windows 10 performance with RRE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver Augst, May 11, 2015.

1. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to stick with Win7 for now. My PC master relative finagled my two PCs into a solid gaming rig and a surfer/utility machine. Took a couple of days unfortunately, because unlike me he has a life. :p

Anyway, when I was playing under a clean install of Win10, I didn't notice any improvements, and a couple of things were a little off, can't remember what, but I didn't get the benefits others did. My personal recommendation is that if R3 is working well for you, just stick with it. W10 is still in the early days of development. It might be a good idea if your rig is some of the very latest tech, six core i7 and new hot snot graphics card, but set aside some time to deal with potential hassles as some have suffered. One of these days it might be the OS of choice.

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all so much. Considering my luck with Microsoft over the years, it worked out just fine. I have a new SSD and a GTX970 to play with. Now comes the fun of loading games back on.

3. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    You should load all your games onto a 1tb blue Wd drive around £50.
    That way if you ever need to clean boot again they are there for you,all you need to do once steam is installed point it in the direction of your games drive.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    That's kind of what I did. I'm running just a few games off the SSD and the rest were saved to an external drive then put back into the Steam folder, click install, and they're already there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's what I also thought but my friend has replaced GPU and SSD and has lost his license. I am not sure if he had a pirate version or not but who knows what has been Microsoft hiding from us and lying...

6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You don't loose the licence, you only may need to reactivate it.
    After a system drive change the automatic activation may not work, but a phone activation will.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    After a promising start, I now have problems with GSC, R3E, and Race 07. Steam is now reading R3E fps at double what it actually is. None of the above are smooth even with V'sync. I'm sure it has something to do with Refresh Rates not matching up, cause there is a rhythm to the stuttering sometimes. Holding tight for Raceroom optimisation.

8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    You have to do the clean install if you want the best from it, i had massive differences in performance between upgrade and clean install. You will find that although both AMD & nVidia have Win10 drivers they are still not up to scratch, all my problems since upgrade have come from driver issues, need a bit of patience, won't take 'em long to get it right, their businesses depend on it!!

Once you've upgraded and activated you can change the entire computer if you want the only difference is you have to call a free phone number to activate!
    All this information is already in the thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    It activated just fine so all is well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I've been reading about the licensing issues of the free Win 10 upgrade and the problem with the free upgrade is the fact that it is just an upgrade, not a license.

The old Windows license is not tied to the upgraded Win 10. So if you do a hardware change that forces you to reactivate Win 10, this will not be possible through a phone call, because there is no license for Win 10 involved. You will have to install the old Windows first (and activate it, maybe by phone), then do the upgrade to reactivate Win 10 on the new hardware and then you can make a clean install on that new hardware again.

While being a possibility, this is quite some loops to jump through. ;)

The main problem is, that this procedure will not be possible anymore as soon as the free upgrade period ends. As of now it is not clear if the upgraded Win 10 will be installable on a reactivation-forcing hardware at this point in the future. MS has not made any statements regarding this issue that I'm aware of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Update for me - R3E running well still on Win10, only issue is when exiting racing sessions - hot lap, MP, etc...i get a black screen hanging and have to close out and reopen R3E...still have not seen fix - may have missed something i've been kinda in hiding for awhile

12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    That's how I do it, although I have Steam installed on the 1TB drive too, not just the games. I have a 64GB SSD that is pretty much exclusively used as a boot drive for Windows (plus all the essential programs on there too like anti-virus, drivers, etc...), then I have a 1TB HDD for games, music, downloads and so forth. Doing a fresh install is easy - probably only takes an hour inclusive of reinstalling drivers and a few programs. I tend to do fresh installs every few months anyway. Keeps the system running fast and clears out any problems.

As an aside I also got a cheap 128GB SSD a while back to use as a second games drive to house a few of my most played games that would benefit from the speed boost. Contrary to my own advice, I have R3E on there which doesn't benefit from being on an SSD at all. I guess I hope one day it will!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I'm on a pretty bare bones system (at least concerning r3e and ac) and the only to games to have problems are ac and gsc after doing the upgrade from 8.1. Which isn't really a huge loss to me. And I would be very surprised if the devs didn't deal with that pretty soon. Otherwise everything else is running better. Race 07 had an almost double in frame rates. and r3e gained about 10 to 20 fps depending on track and car conditions.

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    HDD transfer speeds are not the bottleneck in a Windows system so you won't notice a jot, for the best performance increases you need a video card with a lot of video memory, for instant results and running SLI doesn't double up your useable memory either so for an increase in performance get a beefy single GPU!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok after only one week I'm having several weird issues with win10. The most frustrating is, win10 has switched off my turbo. I'm now running at 2.3ghz instead of 3.2ghz. And apps will minimize right after I open them. If I try to bring up the task manager it immediately swaps back to what ever app I call it from. And things take forever to load up. I think I'm going back to win8.1.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Was it a clean install? If not, after you've made sure you've activated Win10, wipe your drive clean, wipe it again and do a clean install. Sorry,but only way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    If I do that will that solve the problems with ac and gsc? And if it doesn't work, will I still be able to revert back to 8.1?
    Right now even windows flight simulator is having problems.

18. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    It is said that, if you do the free upgrade procedure, Win 10 keeps your old Win 8.1 files for one month. During this time you can go back to Win 8.1 with a mouseclick (there is an option in the settings), after that period this will not be possible anymore. If you make a clean install of Win 10, your old Win 8.1 files will be gone and you will of course not be able to return to Win 8.1 with a mouseclick. You will have to make a new clean install - this time of Win 8.1 - again.

The good news is, that no matter how often you make an upgrade of your old Win 8.1 installation to Win 10, you will never lose your license of Win 8.1. You can always decide to make a clean Win 8.1 install with your old license and activate it. Maybe you will need to call MS, but only if you changed some hardware and this should be done in a few minutes.

Edit: You are of course not allowed to have an upgraded Win 10 on one computer and the old 8.1 license on another computer or some fancy stuff like that. The free Win 10 is an upgrade to your old license that you may use on it or not, it is not a second Windows license. Just so that you don't get nasty ideas and run into trouble with MS... ;)

19. Lucypher7M

Lucypher7M New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have running a systen, that shouldn't make issues in case of performance, but with R3E it does.
    SysConfig:
    Xeon E5-2687W
    32GB RAM DDR3 1600
    2x Radeon R9-290X 4GB CF (Catalyst 15.9.1 Beta)
    Samsung 28" UHD Monitor at 60Hz
    Sound Blaster Z
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64

The problem is, that since I switched from Win8.1 to Win10 (complete fresh install), I have issues with R3E.
    First of all, the browser doesn't work, the menu items are flickering, and the whole picture is rolling.
    This can be solved by switching of CF, but due to my resolution of 3840x2160, it's not an option.

When I selected evrything and started any kind of race or training, in 3D everything works similar as it did under Win8.1.
    Only on some tracks the frame rate drops down and it's hard to steer well at some corners, because of the lag.
    Well, when I end up with a race and will go back into the main menu, I only can see the back movie, but no menu, so I have to close the game via ALT+F4.
    It seems to me, that I lost performance with Win10 and my CF setup, compared to Win8.1, but the most annoying thing is, that the menus don't work properly.

Could it be, that this game has problems with Microsoft Edge as the default browser?
    Do I have to make IE as Default?

Is there any optimization planned for AMD CF useres?

By the way, I know it's not polite, but Assetto Corsa runs well, same as Project Cars and Projects Cars sucked just as it was released, but now you can run it with 29 opponents and it runs smooth in UHD.

I hope you get it fixed, 'cause I like this game and use it since it came out as beta. I also wants to drive again DTM online.

20. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thinking of upgrading soon, how is is going now for people?