Question Windows Mixed Reality headset users out there?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by rzsmith, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So I'm a few days into R3E and loving it!

I travel a lot and insist on taking a portable racing rig with me and setting up in the hotel for stress relief after work. I'm looking into a WMR headset like the Lenovo Exploroer; much easier to pack than a 27" monitor. Are there many people using WMR headsets out there with R3E? I really don't want to go to a Rift for specific reasons.

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Just remember you need internet connection to play R3E, but must hotels should provide internet anyway.

A portable rig? I want to see pictures then. Wouldn't it get too heavy as luggage?

3. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have a high end gaming laptop and I just clamp my wheel to the hotel desk. I stay at the same chain so the desks are consistent. Laptop screen not quite big enough so usually tote a desktop monitor. Would love to know if I could use a WMR headset instead.

4. DubZ

DubZ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    how do you transport the wheel?

5. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have an old Logitech wheel and pedals that fits in a reinforced bag I check. It's made it thru many many flights with no issues yet.

No one out there with WMR headset experience? Is it worth it? I would be using SteamVR so I think it should work.

6. Bensko

Bensko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I use a lenovo explorer. When it works it does its job very well and I have no complaints at all. I only have a very hard time starting the game. It's probably something to do with settings, but it is all very new for me as well.

7. Bensko

Bensko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Apparently you should just start Steam and launch the game without starting steamVR first. Then the game will start in VR-mode (if you set “-vr” in properties). It works fine now.
    So i can advise a WMR headset.

8. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Excellent! Thanks, Bensko.

Based on the size of the headset would you consider it easier to pack in luggage than a 27" monitor? And do you even need the hand control thingies for sim racing?

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    At least for RaceRoom there is no additional Controller needed. AFAIK non of the other Race-Sims uses them at the moment...
    I don't have a WMR-Headset but an Oculus Rift - as every Headset is aiming for the same target it should be pretty comparable with WMR... I haven't tried, but yes, it would be easier to pack due to size and weight. The only thing you should take care at are the lenses. You should search for a solution that nothing can get in contact with them while the HMD is stored in the luggage..

10. DubZ

DubZ Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  11. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  12. Bensko

Bensko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There is no need for the controllers. Just start the game from steam in VR-mode and you are running.
    And yes, i think this is much easier to bring along than a 27" monitor. Original packaging should work perfect.

13. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to post an update on this. Got my Lenovo Explorer and loving it! The immersion level is crazy; I don't think I can go back to 2D now. I've tried it on 3 different PC's. Works great on my laptop and desktop (Intel based), but not worth a crap on a 2nd desktop (AMD FX-8350). All have Nvidia based graphic cards. It is frustrating that I have to go thru a very specific procedure to get R3E to launch in VR and work right (I have to start WMR, start Steam, stop SteamVR, then launch R3E), but once I'm in alls good. Game always starts with opening menu waaay at the bottom of the vr environment, but I am able to center it after the initial splash screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bensko

Bensko New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Haha, good to hear! I have the exact same experience. Can't go back to 2d racing now... ;)
    I have to center the screen as well, everytime. It's just pressing 1 button, so i am ok with it.
    Enjoy the explorer.

15. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I also used WMR HMD (Samsung high resolution one), with -VR 2.5 option is very sharp/crips except I get ghosting/doubling on fast moving objects in the scene. Cannot figure it out.. :( Aside from that, it's truly amazing.

16. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Just a heads up, I’m running a nvidia titan over clocked with i7 extreme over clocked by almost 40%. I cannot run vr 2.0 let alone 2.5 and not get stuttering or sub 90fps. I do not run with asw as I feel 45fps is a absolute mistake in a sim.

I run 1.6 with 4xaa, reflections/mirror/particles,shadows all on low, and everything else turned up. With 18 cars on the grid I can generally get smoothe game play never dipping out of 90fps except for Laguna Seca for some odd reason.

The Samsung has more resolution than my vive, you are asking your system to do an incredible amount of work at 2.5 or even 2.0. There isn’t a video card around that isn’t going to stutter/ghost with that much super sampling. I’d honestly say even two 1080ti’s running sli would still be getting close to max at 2.5 super sampling rate if your trying for 90fps.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018