Wish: Google Maps Racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr_Mints_Taboo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    For a long time now, I have wanted the ability to drive a stretch of road (in real life) with a dash-cam or something, then transfer the data into a racing game so that I can drive that stretch of road like a nutter.

With these new drone-scanner-thingamees, and (microsoft?) flight sim able to integrate google maps, I wonder how far off the dream we are.

If R3E released a map going from my house to (random interesting point) then I would happily pay a reasonable amount for it (reasonable to me would be £1 a mile....) I wouldn't even care if the bumps, potholes etc weren't authentic.
    Test Drive Unlimited allowed me to race around the coast of Hawaii on 1 race (60 mins+) and that was awesome.

If this doesn't become a reality soon, I might have to move to Nürburgring Boulevard 1, 53520 Nürburg, Germany.

If a lot of people like this idea, and are willing to invest, I will start a go-fund-me page then run off to live on Hawaii with the proceeds.

2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Alternatively, you could just drive the stretch of road like a nutter.
    That's what I usually do. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Have you played American Truck Simulator?

Sort of what you want, minus the racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Except that I don't live in America :)

'Sort of' misses the point. This is a forum. I don't want 'Sort of.' I want exactly what I asked for, right now, and at a discount. It had better be perfect, and have regular updates. And it had better be multiplayer! And VR compatible in case I ever get VR.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Ok since you don't live in the US, then have you played Euro truck simulator 2 ^^ ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    "Ok since you don't live in the US, then have you played Euro truck simulator 2 ^^ ?"

Yes, I was rubbish. Couldn't follow the GPS, kept going up roads that never led back onto my route. Couldn't do a u-turn. It was hopeless!

Is nobody going to join me on this magical mystery tour? Jump on the fantasy bus to nowhere?

I know this is unlikely anytime soon, but.......just imagine!

7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i think PRC mentioned something like this in one of their articles about high detailed cities in flight sims etc and that it would be the next step for racing. But I'm mostly a track guy, i just need some tracks that I can go round and round and round.
    But something like Rallye Dakar in 1:1 scale would be an insta buy !!

• Like Like x 2
  8. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Could yo assemble a timemachine? Old cars on old narrow bumpy roads? Nords, LeMans, Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, etc.?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    nah, ETS 2 is awesome. very relaxing game. of course, you'll be fined if you drive like a nutter there, so it's not the kind of fun you were looking for when you started the thread...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    In my world, there would be a button to age the road surface. So yeah, why not!
    No, not a button - a slider!
    And strange weather effects, like sunshine in Cumbria.
    Snow on the Dakar.

11. jb2_86_uk

jb2_86_uk Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Gran Turismo (-6 I think) had the ability to 'record' a route via GPS thingimajig, and import it into the game. Of course you had a generic scenery applied to it, but the profile of the route would be authentic. I never tried it having not got an appropriate GPS thingimajig, but it was a great idea. If it could be tied in with Google StreetView data, it would be bang on what you're after.

May I commend you on your wish to keep your nutter-driving exclusively for digital content - I wish more folk out there were as considerate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    How did you improve your cornering techniques in ETS2?:p
    Sorry, I couldn't resist!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    That was going to be my retort, but if the guy thinks its rubbish, not gonna work! I dig both games.

SCS, having created a massive detailed world of europe, should use it to create other activities....like cross country races. Or police chases....or "touring black metal band simulator". Hell they have scandinavia DLC for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Burillo

Burillo Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Believe it or not, i actually did! The key was ummmm... Getting a wheel. Although it'll improve further once i finish my DIY head tracker...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I didn't misspell a 2 letter word, ElNino!
    I said I was rubbish.

I couldn't drive and follow the GPS minimap. OK, an option to increase the minimap size to normalmap size would be nice - there's probably an app somewhere that does just that.
    The game itself seemed really good.

They could have dumbed it down enough for me though :

[​IMG]

And Burillo - A wheel? I took you for a pad man.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  16. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I am certain that there will be a publisher in the future who adds a Track Generator that creates tracks based on google maps. Additionally I am certain that it won't be S3.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Would be cool indeed. As has been pointed out ETS2 is the closest thing we have that's any good. One day I will finally reach that fabled Rome of germanic legend; the city of Ausfahrt, that all roads lead to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Leo Kuhn

Leo Kuhn Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's a partner town of the american town called "Exit" :p

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1