Wobbly steering Ruf GT2?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clausewitz, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Clausewitz

Clausewitz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    With the GT2 Pack on discount i was thinking about buying it and did some testruns in the store. As i'm perfectly fine with the Cadillac, BMW and the Corvette, i do have some problems with the Ruf. The steering somehow feels like someone put a giant bubblegum somewhere between steering wheel and front wheels. Especially when exiting turns it's very hard to drive in a straight line because the steering is so wobbly.
    Is this due to some weird steering settings in store, or does the actual in-game Ruf behave the same? Is it possible to solve this issue by improving car setup?

Edit: I'm using a gamepad (Logitech Wireless), but as i'm fine with the other cars this shouldnt be the problem

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    This pack isn't up to date, and will get updated physics in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    I made the same experience with the Ruf in GTR2. I refered this to the fact, the Ruf being a rear engine car and learned to exit corners with decent countersteering.
    But as @heppsan mentioned, we're hoping for a GTR2-physics update.

4. Clausewitz

Clausewitz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    K, thanks for the answers guys.

5. gp2112

gp2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Common problem with a Porsche/RUF due to the engine hanging so far back. My brother has, for years, referred to Porsche's as "Wobblers" for this very reason.

The best way to solve it, I found, is to keep a bit of acceleration on as you go through the corner. Do not stomp on the gas at corner exit. Keeping the revs up will help keep the back where it needs to be and also assist with that faster exit.

One thing I have always heard about Porsche's is that when the back lets go you stomp on the gas-do not brake or let off.
    Does not seem to work for me in-game.

6. IndEnt

IndEnt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    for the RUF, especially the GT2, I've adapted FFB Settings - less lateral force, but more downforce - in due proportion that feels really good to

7. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    @Clausewitz: Try the setup I've used here.

The first time I drove the Ruf myself I thought, Jesus Christ, will this biatch ever be stable on straights? That was btw in Mid Ohio, but after changing the setup it felt pretty stable. Usually cars have their engine at the front. The ruf has its engine located at the back with a little allignment to the center. So it is a lill tricky to setup. But as soon as you've managed to find a working setup, you'll start to like this car. OK, I need to admit, I'm a lill addicted with Porsche. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gp2112

gp2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Last night a friend and I spent about an hour on Euro Speedway with the RUF GT2. He drove with the paddle shifters and I drove with the manual six speed with heel-toe downshifts. After awhile I tried the paddle shifters and realized that the car was much less stable with that type of shifting. I went back to the manual and was able to keep up with him, often gaining a lot of time in the corners.

I think the real race car had a semi-auto shifter with a lift upshift, blip downshift type of trans. Perhaps using a manual, or a semi-auto is the way to keep the car stable.

I have never experienced instability in straights with it. Perhaps it is a FFB issue as opposed to a set-up issue.

9. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I've been doing lots of laps of Bathurst in this car and I like it but I find I'm a lot more inconsistent with it than other cars. I can do a couple of great laps and then I'll just clip the wall or lose the rear end unexpectedly.

I thought it was just me being slow to come to grips with it!! (and perhaps it still is...)

I do find the steering in the RUF a bit 'floaty' (really hard to find the right word to describe how it feels but that's close) which I think makes it hard to be accurate with it, hence having difficulty keeping the car on the right line every single time (particularly through the esses / dipper).

By the way, if that's what the real car is like, so be it...

I think the rear end losses were more my fault though - either downshifting too quickly or breaking/downshifting after beginning the turn (especially at Turn 18 / The Chase).

Still very fun though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    yes the RUF RT 12R is a specific challenge, but I like this car. :)