Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Hi

I'm curious about how many here would be fine about paying a monthly rate to access a proper MP system under R3E, something like iRacing, with ranking, organised races, etc ..

It can be only for the MP or a part of it, Single player would remain free as today. Public MP or Dedicated servers could remain free too, but with the addition for those who want something more "serious", more organized inside the game.

Of course the MP side of R3E will need to be massively upgraded, but as it could be a way for Raceroom AG to promote itself a step more through organized events, the investment would be worth in my mind ;)

Make your vote :)

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    If dedicated servers would remain free, then definitely yes.

3. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    NO!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    The options and the title are different.

Should it be free? I don't know the answer to that. Would I pay a subscription? No, I wouldn't.

5. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Definitely no. "Professional" leagues could finance something like that via starting fees, but I as a normal player would move to another game, if I had to pay.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

huh ? Did you read weel?

"Would you pay a monthly fee?" => Yes or No
    It's simple as that o_O

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Look at rFactor2 as an example of what can happen when you put a pay wall in front of multiplayer.

A resounding no from me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Look at iracing as an example of what can it be when you put a hugh pay wall :p

Rf2 as more default that the paying subscription.
    Would it have more content, maybe players would go for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    RRRe costs enough as it is!

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's the point. I have bought almost all content for way over 100€ and then having to pay to use these online would be a slap imho.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    But that's the concept you have to accept when you buy into iRacing.

I believe introducing pay walls to a product where they didn't exist before is unfeasible. All it will do is piss off the player base.

I'm mainly an offline player. Any online subscription would make me 100% an offline player.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Do you have numbers about what percentage of sim racing game users are actually participating in such organized events? And numbers on how much content other than the car(s) they drive in these leagues, they actually buy?

13. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Look like everybody wants free stuff ...

Yeah of course it's better to have free stuff, that having to pay.
    But when you have the choice between: having free stuff without any services behind or paying for an extra service sometimes people don't mind to go to the paying system if it worth it.

If I had the choice between a full integrated system in R3E with organized events, ranking, being sur to have faire races, etc for few buck a month I'll go for it.. because today you have the choice between: get in a private league (and split players betweens lots of them), or go on publics server with sometimes nobody to race against.. or people that are obviously not at the level or not here to race at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Of course I don't have any numbers.
    But, as it's Raceroom AG who pay the bills for Sector3 for the development of R3E, if we would them to develop a good online system it should be something they can use as a way to promote themselves, otherwise they will not push on it.. and we'll be stuck we the very limited online we have in R3E.

15. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yes, if the scope will be extended (e.g. similar to iracing) and will keep the free dedi server for non members.
    And if the raceroom servers will be hosted reasonable, the existing system is @#$%&! (sorry for that)...

16. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I won't pay for such a service as long as it mjeans to pay for driving online in multiplayer at all and everything that has to do with organizing that (events, league racing etc.) belongs solely to the developer.

If someone (preferred the developer of the racing title himself) would build up a kind of complete software tool system like this (obviously discontinued) SimracingLeagueSystem for organizing league racing and events on his own - that could imply a shared ranking system as well - then maybe I would be willing to pay a fee for using such a thing, but only if I could adapt and integrate it directly to my community site some way or another, too.

17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't care for an option that only the interested subscribers of such a service need to sign into. But a total and complete NO if it were a mandatory payment without which I could not play the game as single player anymore. I have sunk more than enough money into this already. There needs to be a red line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You must be kidding. I spent in excess of 15000 vRP and you blame me for wanting only free stuff as I don't want to be charged extra to drive with my purchased cars on my purchased tracks online? Very interesting definition of "free".
    In my opinion this looks like an attempt to have the vast majority of players pay for something only a minority of experts need and use. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Agree Agree x 12
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I understand your points - but something like payed MP would be the wrong signal. The option to have organized events is already existent - it just needs somebody to do that (like @Tarik Userli for example). Something like a payed subscription could be possible to - if someone wants to do that. I have a group like ESR in mind, in which you could pay a little fee for subscribing and participating in a series, and with that fee the Server-costs and Prices were being paid.
    Those aspects are for sure out of control of R3E, but IMO it is better that way.
    A Ranking-System seems to be WIP, so that we might see some other aspects in future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Seems like you're overreacting a little bit here.
    1st: this post wasn't targeted to you. So I don't understand why you think that I was blaming you, or anybody.
    2nd: read back my first post next time... Sure my English might not be perfect but I think I've made my point pretty clear on it.